Do you remember Louie and Bouie VS. Bernie and Ernie? | Syracusefan.com

Do you remember Louie and Bouie VS. Bernie and Ernie?

Don

2nd String
One of Boeheims signature wins in his first few years as the Coach.

One of the things to note was how fast Jimmy "Don't call me bug" Williams Number 22 was. The pace of this game was typical of SU back in the day. Marty Byrnes the forgotten 1st round pick from SU. How skinny Louie Orr was but how really good he was and how thin he always was.

When JB first started coaching the average high school hoops coach knew more.Then along came the duo Louie and Bouie giving JB time to learn his craft. I have always said that Dave Bing started the Orange resurgence and Louie and Bouie took it to another level.

Great Game!
Loved the Louie & Bouie Show!
Louie, the Cincinnati Kid & Bouie, my second favorite 5 after DC.

When JB first started coaching the average high school hoops coach knew more.Then along came the duo Louie and Bouie giving JB time to learn his craft. I have always said that Dave Bing started the Orange resurgence and Louie and Bouie took it to another level.
That, couldn't be further from the truth. Jim was a big step up from Roy Danforth.

One of Boeheims signature wins in his first few years as the Coach.

One of the things to note was how fast Jimmy "Don't call me bug" Williams Number 22 was. The pace of this game was typical of SU back in the day. Marty Byrnes the forgotten 1st round pick from SU. How skinny Louie Orr was but how really good he was and how thin he always was.

I actually watched this game yesterday. At louisville, This Tenn game, At New Mexico and home to Michigan state and Magic were the top 4 wins of JB's first two years.

There was a guy at work who laughed at the notion we had any chance in this game. I'm not a betting man but the look on this guys face the next days was priceless.

We were scrappy but good and a regional power for a decade. Then Louie and Bouie made us into a national powerhouse program. We've been up and down since then but 'down' has been good and 'up' has been great.

I remember being glued to the tv and how we weren’t given a chance against them. It was the first time that I can recall us even being on national tv. It was a big deal - great OT win! Loved Louie and Bouie - Louie was Marek skinny and was such a force on the boards and such an efficient scorer. I used to call him slinky back then. Bouie and his huge Afro looked 10 feet tall and next to the ultra slight Orr, they were quite the duo.

Great Game!
Loved the Louie & Bouie Show!
Louie, the Cincinnati Kid & Bouie, my second favorite 5 after DC.
He can be your favorite then because DC was really a 4. He only played the 5 when we didn't have a natural 5 like Seikely or Ellis. ;)

I actually watched this game yesterday. At louisville, This Tenn game, At New Mexico and home to Michigan state and Magic were the top 4 wins of JB's first two years.
JB's post game rants and bashing the media started after the Michigan State game...

Other than your last sentence, I don't agree with anything else in this post.

I remember the game well. Several guys fouled out and Marty Byrnes had a big dunk toward the end that was key and a bit unusual because he didn't put them down very often. I was a sophomore in high school that year.

Rewatching it, the thing that stands out to me is how, apart from Ernie Grunfeld, the players are definitely on the skinny side. Strength programs must have been rare back then. As a player I remember being told that lifting in season would screw up my shot

ii like how the tape runs out so we never know how the game ends

Comments:
-almost everyone was skinny back then
-only 2 refs
-Pitino on the bench
-forgot how big a role Ross Kindel played
-Tenn played zone
-who was our #35 ?

Wonder what Bernard King is doing these days? He was so good for the Knicks till his injury.

Seeing the Tennessee game made me think of the Iowa game in 1980. I watched a 2H re-run of that game. JB got a critical technical foul that led to a 9-0 run that SU never recovered from. That was one of the worst losses for SU in the NCAAt. That was a good team.

1977 was my sr year at JD. We went to the regional in Lexington KY after this win. As we wandered around in our orange gear, KY fans would come up to us and say- "thank you for beating that Earnie and Bernie, we hate them" (said- slowly and with a southern twang). Our game at Rupp was going on at the same time as KY was playing in another regional (they later figured out to prevent this). Most of the crowd was watching the KY game on miniature TVs in the stands. I think this is where we ran into Cornbread Maxwell.

Few things I found interesting.
They mentioned that SU was a finalist for Grunfeld. Imagine that team with Grunfeld.
Loved how the opposing team would slap five with a guy who fouled out from the other team. Can't remember the last time I saw that, if ever.
Was amused when a player fouled out, it would say on the screen (For example) "Roosevelt Bouie has just fouled out".

Talk about packed in zones- top of both teams zones was two feet above the foul line. Guess that’s why they put the 3 point line in so that’d open up. Could easily see how good Louie would become.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom