Do you root for conf mates in the tourney? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do you root for conf mates in the tourney?

(all this is way below the obvious "I ROOT FOR CUSE")

in the BE days, I was a massive fan of the conf and openly rooted for any and all teams save those douches inside the beltway

in the new digs it was pretty easy to get behind FSU and Clemson on the gridiron cause #goACC

how about hoops?

go Pitt? go UNC? go Duke? go Prov?

No.

Notre Dame are eating their ____s against Michigan. Big Ten taking it to the ACC tonight.

I'll never root for:

Pitt or Notre Dame. Ever. Under any circumstances.

So, you didn't root for Notre Dane against UK? When they nearly knocked them off?

I agree, I almost never root for ND; but in that case, it was the lesser of two evils.
Thankfully the Buzzcuts got it done instead.
Can you imagine how insufferable the UK fans woulda been had they won it all? :blah: :bat:

So, you didn't root for Notre Dane against UK? When they nearly knocked them off?

I agree, I almost never root for ND; but in that case, it was the lesser of two evils.
Thankfully the Buzzcuts got it done instead.
Can you imagine how insufferable the UK fans woulda been had they won it all? :blah: :bat:

Didn't root for anyone but probably secretly wanted UK. I loathe all things ND.

Didn't root for anyone but probably secretly wanted UK. I loathe all things ND.

I'm right there with you. But - I loathe UK hoops even more.

CuseCPT said:
My March Madness rooting hierarchy is something like this: 1. Syracuse 2. Teams I like for one reason or another (Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Pitt, Service Academies) 3. Underdogs 4. My bracket 5. Rest of ACC

Mine is:

1. Syracuse
2. Upsets of any nature
3. Bracket

Michigan fans crying about that charge call. I love it

This is going to be blasphemy but looking back at the Triche charge I don't think it was a bad call...

in the BE days, I was a massive fan of the conf and openly rooted for any and all teams save those douches inside the beltway

in the new digs it was pretty easy to get behind FSU and Clemson on the gridiron cause #goACC

how about hoops?

Never Duke no matter what. And Pitt it doesn't matter what you do.

I've hated the acc my whole life, that's not going to change now just because we had to move. I will always root for region first, northeast that is. Those are the kids I can relate to and grew up like (generally speaking).

I've hated the acc my whole life, that's not going to change now just because we had to move. I will always root for region first, northeast that is. Those are the kids I can relate to and grew up like (generally speaking).

Me too. It's tough to root for these guys.

Mine is:

1. Syracuse
2. Upsets of any nature
3. Bracket

Exactly, it's never been about the conference for me--I just love to root for the little guy (unless I've picked West Virginia to win the whole thing in my bracket and it's SFA). I do take pride in the conference record if it's especially good, and I ALWAYS root against Pitt, UCONN, Georgetown, and Buzz Williams.

Puck fitt. No way
Can we ALL just start hating Pitt? Please. They've beaten us consistently for a decade in both football an hoops and no one around here gets riled up about it. Piss poor on us if you ask me. This is the ACC rival we all talk about/desire, and we as a fan base are blind to what is right in front of us. Puck Fitt with the power of 1,000 suns!!!

Can we ALL just start hating Pitt? Please. They've beaten us consistently for a decade in both football an hoops and no one around here gets riled up about it. Piss poor on us if you ask me. This is the ACC rival we all talk about/desire, and we as a fan base are blind to what is right in front of us. Puck Fitt with the power of 1,000 suns!!!

I hate them.

No. We stand on our own two. Couldn't care less about the other teams in our league. I root for the teams that I feel would be the best match ups for us.

If we're out, then I root for the teams I like best, usually based on how the coach acts.

It was easy to root for conference-mates in the Big East, and I still do (except for the obvious one, which isn't a problem this season).

In the ACC, it's difficult to care about many of these teams. I also dislike some and won't root for them (Duke, the disgrace that is Pitt, Notre Dame, Louisville). And some that I might root for aren't much good and don't give me any choice (Georgia Tech, Wake).

I like Leonard Hamilton but hate Florida State. Can't put my finger on it, but don't want Clemson to do well. Rooted for Boston College when they had the nice Howard Eisley run in 1994, but am bitter about their Big East departure and 2004/2005 wins over us (compounded now by the blue shorts debacle game) and want them to lose every game. Virginia Tech's fans make them unsupportable. Miami, meh. Don't like Virginia's game (though their fans who post on here are cool).

Carolina's really the only one I'm comfortable rooting for: unlike the masses here, I like Roy as a coach. They usually seem to have likeable kids and they play a watchable style of basketball.

Kind of an awkward conference position to be in. Not a ton of connection to most of these schools and fanbases (except for the negative connection to the Tech riff-raff I had to deal with while living in D.C.).

Last edited:
I do for all sports. If the Yankees are out I will root for the AL (except the Red Sox they can F off) NFC in football, East in NBA etc

how about hoops?

Cant do NC or Duke. Sorry 30 years of preACC locked those hatreds in. All other yep, sure can root for them

I may be different, but Ive rooted against Duke and UNC for so many years that it's hard to root for them now. I remember when this board used to ream the ACC, and those 2 teams, for heaving a weak conference where it was one or the other's to win most years...like Kansas almost. When it came to the Big East, I grew up respecting my opponents, so it was different.
That about sums it up. In the 80s I loathed Gtown with the best of them. UConn was barely relevant than. That mellows with our move but the antiUNC and Duke has stayed.