Doc Gross has handled this extremely well | Syracusefan.com

Doc Gross has handled this extremely well

kcsu

Living Legend
Reading the interview with Doc and with Hack is very telling. It is obvious that Doc has handled this very well. Money wasnt the issue with Doug and according to him we will see a major upgrade in facilities in the near future. Hack was all set to sign and according to the article Doug swept in at the twelth hour and took Hack away. Who knows what truly happened but i can say that for my part i believe that Doc has done a great job. I believe that in the long run we are going to be better off under Shafer than under Doug . This is going to work out well for all involved.

For as much as Marrone grew as a coach here, our AD has grown also. I have nothing but respect for Gross. When he started here he had this constant "hollywood" persona going that rubbed people wrong. He has toned that down, not always in front of the cameras, and his vision is usually on point. He marketed us as NY's college team, which at the time, seemed cheezy at best, but has seemed to pay dividends in so many ways. I don't know if he will be the best AD we've ever had when it's all said and done, but he will leave a huge imprint on this program with this move to the ACC.

Reading the interview with Doc and with Hack is very telling. It is obvious that Doc has handled this very well. Money wasnt the issue with Doug and according to him we will see a major upgrade in facilities in the near future. Hack was all set to sign and according to the article Doug swept in at the twelth hour and took Hack away. Who knows what truly happened but i can say that for my part i believe that Doc has done a great job. I believe that in the long run we are going to be better off under Shafer than under Doug . This is going to work out well for all involved.
We won't know this for years but as someone who has been hard on TGD at times, I agree. I would have handled the situation much the same (though I probably would have offered the HC job to Hackett first).

Like his first Syracuse HC hire, it is very difficult to do a good outside search so late in the hiring cycle, where the best candidates have been hired and recruiting pressures make a lengthy vetting process extremely problematic.

Strongly disagree with everything but your statement that Doug swept in at the 11th hour.

Like his first Syracuse HC hire, it is very difficult to do a good outside search so late in the hiring cycle, where the best candidates have been hired and recruiting pressures make a lengthy vetting process extremely problematic.

Seems obvious that Gross learned a lot from the disaster of January 2005.

For the folks clamoring that Gross should have interviewed a lot more people: (1) Who the heck knows what he actually did. ADs keep short lists and given that Marrone was clearly contemplating leaving for quite some time, it wouldn't be surprising if TGD was having off-the-record conversations with potential candidates before the bowl. (2) Is there a realistic candidate out there who would be an unquestionable slam dunk?

Depends on how much you believe is fact and how much is a sales job. After the fact, in the past, I have found it is about a 50/50 split.

We won't know this for years but as someone who has been hard on TGD at times, I agree. I would have handled the situation much the same (though I probably would have offered the HC job to Hackett first).

Based on Doc's mention of Shafer as a "lifer", makes sense to hire Shafer as opposed to Hack, who might have put us in this same position again in a couple of years to bolt to the NFL.

Yes. Dr Gross has been on top of this thing as much as can be and is displaying good leadership and judgement.

Might have been nice to have a statement on behalf of the University. It could have helped ease recruits minds during dead period

Seems obvious that Gross learned a lot from the disaster of January 2005.

For the folks clamoring that Gross should have interviewed a lot more people: (1) Who the heck knows what he actually did. ADs keep short lists and given that Marrone was clearly contemplating leaving for quite some time, it wouldn't be surprising if TGD was having off-the-record conversations with potential candidates before the bowl. (2) Is there a realistic candidate out there who would be an unquestionable slam dunk?

Completely agree. My biggest contentions with posters on here is not that they question the hire (if they don't like Shafer's track record at SU or his coaching background, that's their prerogative and they are entitled to their opinions), but that they make assumptions about Gross's hiring process because it was wrapped up relatively quickly after Marrone left and then they pass judgement on Gross based on those assumptions.

Those that don't think Gross was at least putting at least feelers out when Marone started interviewing and as his name gained more momentum is just nuts...it wasn't 49 hours more like a week he was working on the coaching situation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom