Does anyone else think | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone else think

storange

2023 Cali Award Rushing Touchdowns
the Eagles fanbase would riot if they hired Marrone. Not saying he hasn't done a great job rebuilding here at SU but ...PHILLY 25-25 college coach to take over the Eagles ??????

I think any NFL fanbase will lose their collective minds if he is hired as HC.

Hell, I was furious when he was hired at SU. But then I heard him speak and figured I'd give him a chance.

the Eagles fanbase would riot if they hired Marrone. Not saying he hasn't done a great job rebuilding here at SU but ...PHILLY 25-25 college coach to take over the Eagles ??????

Eh, they're all bark, no bite. If he wins, they'll be fine. Up until it gets stale. Just like almost every other NFL fanbase.

That's just it - I can't see Marrone getting hired by any NFL team right now.

Give him a breakout Top 25 season or two, and it will happen. But in this day and age, NFL franchise's have to sell their head coaches to their fans. Marrone simply doesn't do it right now.

As Syracuse fans who understand what Marrone has done here, we're ecstatic about the Pinstripe Bowl win. But mainstream media and public either reacted with a yawn or didn't realize the bowl occurred.

Give him a breakout Top 25 season or two, and it will happen. But in this day and age, NFL franchise's have to sell their head coaches to their fans. Marrone simply doesn't do it right now.

As Syracuse fans who understand what Marrone has done here, we're ecstatic about the Pinstripe Bowl win. But mainstream media and public either reacted with a yawn or didn't realize the bowl occurred.
Wait until bowl season is over and the pundits start writing their roundups. I'll bet we get some run. Maisel has already given us props.

Wait until bowl season is over and the pundits start writing their roundups. I'll bet we get some run. Maisel has already given us props.

Sure.

But your typical NFL fan (a) doesn't even follow college football all that closely, and (b) certainly doesn't follow SU football at all.

So selling Marrone as the guy who's going to turn around dead-in-the-water franchises is going to be a hugely tough task. Outside of Chip Kelly, Bob Stoops and Nick Saban I'm not sure there's another college coach who would get instant buy-in from a fan base.

NFL guys have to do their homework though unlike the media or public. A smart GM knows what is quality and what is fools gold.

Eh, they're all bark, no bite. If he wins, they'll be fine. Up until it gets stale. Just like almost every other NFL fanbase.

Of course if he sincerely thinks that the SU fanbase is tough... then whoa nelly, he's going to be in for a surprise.

I don't believe that though. He was an assistant for the Jets during the Herm Edwards era, I think he knows all things considered Syracuse is a paradise.

as a philly fan, yep. his resume isn't adequate and his demeanor is way too similar to Reid, imo. my worry (as i posted last night), though, is that besides kelly there isn't anyone else i'd be too happy with. i can rationalize o'brien but that's it. kellly's going to be able to name his price...and he's a crapshoot, too!

This ^^^. 25-25 in the perceived weakest BCS conference is not going to sell with NFL fans. At least if a team fails with a Chip Kelly, Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, they can point to the stellar records these guys have put up and chalk up the failure to the NFL vs College argument. If you bring in a college coach with a mediocre record and he fails, everyone will say you should never have hired a guy that couldn't even win (consistently) in college. Even Nick Saban's NFL experience didn't go so well.

Yeah, they'll welcome him as warmly as they did another SU alum--Donovan McNabb.

Hey, I'm an Eagles fan, but most of them are scumbags: they welcomed dog-killing Vick like he was the Second Coming. Says a lot about their fan base. (Myself and fellow Eagles fans/board posters excluded, of course.)

It looks like Chip Kelly is the Browns top choice, so that really only leaves the Bills.. honestly that would be the most realistic chance he has..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom