Does anyone out here have real, direct insight into opinions of Shafer? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone out here have real, direct insight into opinions of Shafer?

RECRUITING RECRUITING RECRUITING...Obviously we beat to death that we aren't winning any recruits here with our facilities, nor expect elite home town kids (nyc) to stay here out of good will. We need an electric recruiter. Someone who walks into the room and demands a presence. Someone you want to say..."I want to go play for ..."

is that Shafer??

While i wouldn't be upset with the hire, I think Diaco is the way to go. This staff did a great job at identifying under the radar talent, but you have to expect some of the staff regardless of the hire will move on (Adkins, Henderson, Moore??) Plus was it DM the one ultimately identifying the talent? Shafer would be the safe choice, but I don't think we can afford safe. I would like to see Diaco get a hard look.
It is now halftime of the BCS Championship game...would you like to reconsider?

Biggest concern is recruiting acumen?

Recruits seem to love him but who knows. I'm going to guess we'll have anywhere from 1 to 4 staff openings so he'll have a chance to fill some positions with good recruiters. That'll be something to watch for sure.

It is now halftime of the BCS Championship game...would you like to reconsider?
not at all. why would i want to reconsider a whole resume built up throughout a career based on 30 minutes of 1 game?

not at all. why would i want to reconsider a whole resume built up throughout a career based on 30 minutes of 1 game?
So...I guess you've totally dismissed Shafer's resume because he is in-house? Makes zero sense to look past our own successful coordinators and pursue another team's coordinator simply because it's fashionable.

So...I guess you've totally dismissed Shafer's resume because he is in-house? Makes zero sense to look past our own successful coordinators and pursue another team's coordinator simply because it's fashionable.

Not at all. I'm not against Shafer, i'm just for looking at all options. I feel no matter what we are going to lose some good coordinators. I can see Hackett going to Buffalo where he is highly thought of, as well as Moore, Henderson, and Adkins. Would you want Shafer with this current staff decimated? I would be pretty worried personally. So i'm saying if that's the case then taking a hard look at a well thought of DC like Diaco, why wouldn't you? There is a reason Diaco will be pursued by some top bcs teams next year, and Shafer was looking at W. Michigan. My main reasoning is bc Diaco is known as an excellent recruiter, while Shafer not so much. we obviously don't have the facilities to lure players who so we need a coach who would. Plus I think all the current recruits wouldn't mind the hire, even though that's irrelevant. All i'm saying is take a hard look

Not at all. I'm not against Shafer, i'm just for looking at all options. I feel no matter what we are going to lose some good coordinators. I can see Hackett going to Buffalo where he is highly thought of, as well as Moore, Henderson, and Adkins. Would you want Shafer with this current staff decimated? I would be pretty worried personally. So i'm saying if that's the case then taking a hard look at a well thought of DC like Diaco, why wouldn't you? There is a reason Diaco will be pursued by some top bcs teams next year, and Shafer was looking at W. Michigan. My main reasoning is bc Diaco is known as an excellent recruiter, while Shafer not so much. we obviously don't have the facilities to lure players who so we need a coach who would. Plus I think all the current recruits wouldn't mind the hire, even though that's irrelevant. All i'm saying is take a hard look
How do you know Diaco is a better recruiter than Shafer? Because he got caught banging on Ishaq's bedroom window at 4:30 in the morning? Selling ND is far easier than selling SU. That's just reality.

Bottom line is that neither is a proven commodity as a HC. So if we're looking at coordinators -vs- coordinators, I'll someone that has been on staff every time. It's not like we just came off a 2-11 season...we have a very good staff to choose from.

How do you know Diaco is a better recruiter than Shafer? Because he got caught banging on Ishaq's bedroom window at 4:30 in the morning? Selling ND is far easier than selling SU. That's just reality.

Bottom line is that neither is a proven commodity as a HC. So if we're looking at coordinators -vs- coordinators, I'll someone that has been on staff every time. It's not like we just came off a 2-11 season...we have a very good staff to choose from.

i'm basing that off their reputations, and what they are known for?

either way looks like Shafer is the coach so it's irrelevant. hopefully we can keep the momentum going

He will do a very good job. Picking Diaco over Shafer would be stupid. Picking a guy like Golden ok i get it but unless you are really sure you are going to upgrade go with the safe choice at this point. As Doc said today we dont need to bring in someone to turn us around. We have a solid O and D and had a very good year with a great finish. Unless you are so sure that change is going to improve everything why the heck would you make a change. Diaco doesnt have half the track record of Shafer

Just because you can win at Notre Dame with their recruits doesn't mean you can do it here. Texas gets as good a group of recruits as Notre Dame, and we hired GROB from there and he was terrible. We don't need another outsider to come in, and screw up all the goodwill Doug has built up with the high schools. We already had our GROB and we don't need another.

Having seen a few dozen practices, Shafer brings infectious energy. Go look at our players and recruits on Twitter, they're acting like its Christmas morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having seen a few dozen practices, Shafer brings infectious energy. Go look at our players and recruits on Twitter, they're acting like its Christmas morning.

For those of us that don't tweet, would you mind posting a few for us?

I'm not saying yay or nay, but players always want the assistant to get the job.

@J_Wilkes_28
Coach Shafer the head dawg now! #teamdawgs lets run this fellas #cusenation

@KeonLyn8
The ACC better watch out
@Ecrume_52
Best News Of The Day
@HickeyCuse60
Could not be happier with coach Shafer being promoted! Great news for #orangenation. #excited

Even......

@Greg_Paulus
Congratulations to Scott Shafer on becoming Head Coach at Syracuse! Excited for the program and him! His passion is contagious!

Thanks for all the responses. For some reason I have a hunch that this is going to work well. Shafer appears more 'real' and less calculating than Marrone ever did with regard to getting to the HC level. From reading more and more past articles on Shafer, I sense that he will have a strong appreciation for the job that will benefit everyone. Ironic that the dream job scenario might work out better for a non-SU grad as if successful, Shafer appears to be one to lay down roots.

Players and recruits seem to love him. Keeping Hackett and some others would indicate that the staff is on board and respect the promotion. And the way this whole thing has gone down, I would suspect that some on the staff might be happier today than they were last week since it now seems clear that Marrone had one foot out the door for awhile.

Bruce Feldman@BFeldmanCBS
Have heard many good things from coaches who have worked with new Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer.

My only question is and it is a hypothetical, would that have been the reaction if Hackett was hired?

Maybe that's why Doc knew he had to hire SS for HC but pay more $ for Hackett to stay on as OC as he is brain child behind great offense.

Still would have preferred Hackett because of his potental as an offensive mind and recruiter, and likely we could have kept SS on as DC.

BUT maybe expirence and his players loving him is more important than to Doc. Either way, it's a great hire.