Does Coach really believe this? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does Coach really believe this?

Combined NCAA wins from posters on this board: 0.

I'm going with JB on this. No matter his motivations.

Reactions: cto
i thought that first half especially we were taking mostly very low % shots.

Last edited:
The team has been out of sync since Grant went down. TC has been horrible during this stretch and seems to have lost all confidence. JB's coaching is well not at a hall of fame level. The team looks lost and each kid is pushing on an individual basis vs a team approach. I for one want to see us push the ball inside and force tempo. We are getting our butts handed to us in half court games and we need to push the pace. I would like to see much more trapping and press. Anything to change the dynamics of the last month.

The team has been out of sync since Grant went down. TC has been horrible during this stretch and seems to have lost all confidence. JB's coaching is well not at a hall of fame level. The team looks lost and each kid is pushing on an individual basis vs a team approach. I for one want to see us push the ball inside and force tempo. We are getting our butts handed to us in half court games and we need to push the pace. I would like to see much more trapping and press. Anything to change the dynamics of the last month.

Tyler has had some shaky potatoes down the stretch of the season but I wouldn't call 21 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 steals and 0 turnovers "horrible". On the other hand, if you meant down the stretch of recent games I could agree.

we are shooting in the 30th percentiles last several games. i'm saying i would be concerned.

We all agree with this, but the point that was being made was that you may voice those concerns behind closed doors, but you certainly don't in a public forum. Nothing good can come from that. The simple fact is that the team as a whole, is just not hitting the shots they were earlier in the season.

They have all essentially gone into a slump at the same time. As a coach, you know that players will go into slumps. It has happened in the past, it will happen in the future, it will always happen. Shooters have slumps.
There is realistically little that you, as a coach can do. You encourage the kids to continue shooting, you try to boost their confidence. That's the best you can do. And going into a public forum and expressing your concerns is NOT the way you try to boost your players confidence.

And going into a public forum and expressing your concerns is NOT the way you try to boost your players confidence.

say what????
10478137-large.jpg

11072013_S_Roberson_SpencerBodian_APE.jpg

I thought it was an easy concept to understand, but apparently not.

If the players are in a slump, their confidence tends to be low. It is a common mental state to be in, when things are not going your way.

As the player's coach, telling the world that the player sucks, does NOTHING to help the player's confidence. Why do it? Should he kick dogs and steal babies candy while he is at it????

I'm going to get crushed for this, but what exactly does Ennis create that a normal point guard wouldn't? He doesn't turn the ball over which is amazing but he doesn't really create for others unless you consider passing the ball to CJ so he can go ISO or giving it to Grant so he can go ISO, or Cooney shooting a spot up three. I don't see how he really "creates" for others. MCW could create, Scoop created, just don't see that with Ennis.

Tyler has had some shaky potatoes down the stretch of the season but I wouldn't call 21 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 steals and 0 turnovers "horrible". On the other hand, if you meant down the stretch of recent games I could agree.
I believe he is talking about Cooney ("TC").

We only had 9 assists, and Ennis had 7 of them. Think about that.

Just watched the presser. JB's interest in being there was considerably less than his interest in leaving. He was mad as hell. He just didn't want to say so.

I'm sure the lack of poise on that last possession had to really bother JB. It's one thing to miss open shots but the rushed wild flings that were 6 feet wide of the rim were ridiculous. There was ample time to get a look , square up hit it. Everyone just totally panicked and lost it.

And going into a public forum and expressing your concerns is NOT the way you try to boost your players confidence.

say what????
10478137-large.jpg

11072013_S_Roberson_SpencerBodian_APE.jpg

It's probably mild compared to what eh says in practice. I doubt saying it at a press conference makes it any worse.

no doubt.
i just found the anti prodigy's post quite comical in light of jb's recent post pressers.
secondly James arthur tends to be quite selective in those to whom he chooses to lay wood to.
some seem always lucky enuf to escape his wrath. no matter how poor their performance .

Last edited:
It's actually abundantly apparent that the team has no coordinated methodology for scoring the ball. The contrast between our team and the ones we play could not be more delineated. Other teams patiently execute offensive sets in an effort to get the ball to spots where they have good looks. We, on the other hand seemingly have different ill conceived plays which feature off balance, circus type shots that have little chance of going in. The limited dimension of Syracuse's scoring allows opponents to key in on our best scorers and make it nearly impossible for them to get 1. A good look, 2. Enough time to position themselves to take a "reasonable" shot.

The twisting, spinning, whirlling shots by Grant, although can appear spectacular, are not the type of shots that you want to characterize your offensive arsenal. And Cooney... OMG, where do we start? The kid has been so incessantly covered by a designated Cooney stalker that he likely wouldn't have enough space to reach inside his shorts to adjust his cup much less square up and take a decent shot. Rak, need I even write anything here? simply put, Ouch!

In the end what we have is a catastrophic loss of confidence and a very dysfunctional offense which features some very talented players who have lost the ability to PLAY TOGETHER and have been relegated to playing one on one basketball in a very ineffective manner.

It's really a shame.
Wow, excellent post and very well said. This offensive system has been in place for at least the past two years and frankly it's been awful Also the lack of good post players is killing this team. The best player is Rak and at best he's a decent role player. Keita is down right terrible. I would dare say not even a D1 level player at this point in his career

... No one creates for others EXCEPT ennis. 1 player on the floor can create for others on this team. Cooney hasn't dribbled since 'NAM, Fair and Grant really never effectively pass. Whenever they drive it is to score. No continuity on this offense... "We got good shots but they didn't fall." What game are you watching? CJ Fair shooting an open three isn't a good shot this year. He's shooting 25%

I have to disagree with this. He's not catching any heat (and that's fine by me), but Ennis isn't creating for others; our offense has ground to a halt as he's become unable to do that.

His efficient early-season play combined with our perfect record to skew our expectations, but right now our point guard's major asset is that he can take the ball and score. He's not setting us up in transition, he can't execute a pick and roll, and he's not finding our scorers in places where they can be most effective with the ball.

I'm going to get crushed for this, but what exactly does Ennis create that a normal point guard wouldn't? He doesn't turn the ball over which is amazing but he doesn't really create for others unless you consider passing the ball to CJ so he can go ISO or giving it to Grant so he can go ISO, or Cooney shooting a spot up three. I don't see how he really "creates" for others. MCW could create, Scoop created, just don't see that with Ennis.

Beat me to it.

Cooney tries to put the ball on the floor but he can't beat anybody off the dribble so he's ineffective and can't do much of anything. He's a roll player at best like their kid who came in last night and hurried 2 threes.

Ennis has a tough time taking people off the dribble as well and he plays to slow, is not a good running a fast and seems quite uncomfortable in an uptempo offense.

Never thought I'd say it but man do I miss scoops ability to get to the rim and convert.

It's too late now but Ennis hitting some threes would help open things up

I have to disagree with this. He's not catching any heat (and that's fine by me), but Ennis isn't creating for others; our offense has ground to a halt as he's become unable to do that.

His efficient early-season play combined with our perfect record to skew our expectations, but right now our point guard's major asset is that he can take the ball and score. He's not setting us up in transition, he can't execute a pick and roll, and he's not finding our scorers in places where they can be most effective with the ball.
Ennis is getting the ball to Cooney and CJ. They're just missing the shots. Earlier in the year they were making them and Ennis was getting assists.

Ennis is getting the ball to Cooney and CJ. They're just missing the shots. Earlier in the year they were making them and Ennis was getting assists.

He's not setting them up for open looks. It's not just the point guard's responsibility, but he's not making it easy for anyone.

Madbiker said:

Dishing out assists and creating are two entirely different things.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't blame anyone here... we actually got good looks. Shots just did not fall. That simple.
BINGO.
And how many games have we ever won with an opponent banking in a 3 with under 10 left?

We all agree with this, but the point that was being made was that you may voice those concerns behind closed doors, but you certainly don't in a public forum. Nothing good can come from that. And going into a public forum and expressing your concerns is NOT the way you try to boost your players confidence.

Why do fans here give him a pass a certain things, but when Boeheim rips into Roberson publically in a press conference and has I believe not played a minute since.

Then throw in the fact that says he is not concerned just shows the Syracuse fans he is out of touch in reality of what most everyone else sees.

In a few days there will be posters saying that Boeheim had never said what he said

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom