Does Cooney top GMac's single season 3 pointers made record this season? | Syracusefan.com

Does Cooney top GMac's single season 3 pointers made record this season?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
He's at 43 right now. On a per game average he's on schedule to blow that record away.

There will definitely be games that he doesn't hit multiple 3's. I guess we'll see.

He's at 43 right now. On a per game average he's on schedule to blow that record away.
I believe he will. Of course he has the advantage of being our 2-guard with others trying to get him the ball at his spots and less of having to create his own shot. I'm more interested in whether or not Cooney can hit the clutch shots, GMac-style. As impressive as TC has been from behind the arc so far this year, the true measure of his success, for me, will come in the tight situations and challenging moments of huge games when we absolutely need a big 3. Those are the ones that I'm excited to watch him make. Those are the shots that I love GMac for making.

I believe he will. Of course he has the advantage of being our 2-guard with others trying to get him the ball at his spots and less of having to create his own shot. I'm more interested in whether or not Cooney can hit the clutch shots, GMac-style. As impressive as TC has been from behind the arc so far this year, the true measure of his success, for me, will come in the tight situations and challenging moments of huge games when we absolutely need a big 3. Those are the ones that I'm excited to watch him make. Those are the shots that I love GMac for making.
I think he took one step closer to this level in the Villanova game. Down 25-7, Cooney hit the 3 to start our huge 20-0 run. To me, that's clutch shooting. He also had another 3 during that run to keep it going.

In the 2nd half of the same game, Villanova had cut our lead to 3, and our offense had gone stagnant. Again, Cooney buried a 3 to extend our lead back to 6, and we never looked back from that point forward. Again, clutch shooting.

If he's able to hit that game winning shot (GMac vs. Notre Dame in the Dome), then we have the full package.

he'll shoot a better % but i'm not sure he'll get as many attempts.

Cooney doesn't need to hit cultch shots, we don't have close games like Gmac's teams had. Cooney doesn't go 2 for 7 for three to become a hero and hit one at the end to finish 3 for 8. Cooney just goes 3 for 6 or 7 the whole game.

I didn't think it likely before, but I'm coming around to believe it's possible. He's a volume 3-point shooter and the one real deep threat on this team right now (Fair can hit them when he has time to set his feet, but it's not what he does best, and Ennis shows promise in limited attempts). We shall see.

I think Cooney will get the record not based so much on his per game average but that he will have more games. Cooney currently has 43 in 13 games where GMac had 107 in 34 games. Both slightly over 3 per game, but I think Cooney will get more games.

I think the mental challenge of keeping pace away from the dome may be offset somewhat by playing in warmer climates and softer rims (like Maui). Teams also do not seem to be duplicating St Johns strategy of guarding Cooney as their main focus. The offensive balance of this team should help eliminate strategies designed to stop just Cooney.

I didn't think it likely before, but I'm coming around to believe it's possible. He's a volume 3-point shooter and the one real deep threat on this team right now (Fair can hit them when he has time to set his feet, but it's not what he does best, and Ennis shows promise in limited attempts). We shall see.
I don't see TC forcing bad 3s like GMac sometimes did.

Gerry didn't have a lot of help during his last year or two and a bad 3 from him was better than a shot over the backboard from TRob, Mookie, et al.

That won't happen with this team; TC is only going to take good shots. A good defensive team should be able to take Trevor away or at least greatly reduce the number of chances he has to shoot.

I was originally thinking once conference play began, he would struggle to get more than 4 or 5 shots a game but the ACC is so bad, he just might continue on a similar pace to what he has done to date.

Gerry didn't have a lot of help during his last year or two and a bad 3 from him was better than a shot over the backboard from TRob, Mookie, et al.

That won't happen with this team; TC is only going to take good shots. A good defensive team should be able to take Trevor away or at least greatly reduce the number of chances he has to shoot.

I was originally thinking once conference play began, he would struggle to get more than 4 or 5 shots a game but the ACC is so bad, he just might continue on a similar pace to what he has done to date.
You're right about him not forcing shots this season. He actually takes far fewer shots per 40 minutes than Fair (12.7 v. 16.3) and not many more than Grant (12.4) or Ennis (10.9). I'll bet the staff would like him to be even more aggressive.

I agree with your overall sentiments, Cooney will get his chances because he looks a cut above everyone else in the 3 point role.

Where I slightly disagree is, I do not think Ennis' shot has looked good. It doesn't look good to me, slow and coming from too low of a starting point. I also think his 40% 3 pt % is fools gold based on a small sample size. Out of his 10 of 25 (prior to EMU) at least 2 of them have been banks (St Johns and some other game stick in my mind).

If SU is going to shoot a conservative 10 three point shots a game, Cooney should be firing 6-7 of those attempts.

I think the mental challenge of keeping pace away from the dome may be offset somewhat by playing in warmer climates and softer rims (like Maui).

Where did you see that the ACC has softer rims?

I agree with your overall sentiments, Cooney will get his chances because he looks a cut above everyone else in the 3 point role.

Where I slightly disagree is, I do not think Ennis' shot has looked good. It doesn't look good to me, slow and coming from too low of a starting point. I also think his 40% 3 pt % is fools gold based on a small sample size. Out of his 10 of 25 (prior to EMU) at least 2 of them have been banks (St Johns and some other game stick in my mind).

If SU is going to shoot a conservative 10 three point shots a game, Cooney should be firing 6-7 of those attempts.
You're absolutely right on the Ennis sample size and the banked 3s (if those are misses, 40% becomes 32%). My point was he looks like the third option from deep right now, after Cooney and Fair, with no one else in the discussion at the moment. Cooney is really the only guy opposing coaches should fear from deep, IMO, and the only guy on this team I want to see forcing it from out there should it become necessary.

I agree with the first line, disagree with the second.

You're absolutely right on the Ennis sample size and the banked 3s (if those are misses, 40% becomes 32%). My point was he looks like the third option from deep right now, after Cooney and Fair, with no one else in the discussion at the moment. Cooney is really the only guy opposing coaches should fear from deep, IMO, and the only guy on this team I want to see forcing it from out there should it become necessary.

Ennis is only shooting 3's if he's wide open, so a slow and low release isn't really a problem. I see him ending the season around 34% from deep and averaging maybe 1.5 3pt attempts per game, which is fine. He is our 3rd option and his shot is adequate to the point that it has to be respected. The dude did hit 4 3's in one game, so he's not going to miss many open ones.

I was hoping Grant would develop a jumper this season. It would really help him get into the lane, but oh well. I guess we can't have everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom