Does the ACC move help our other sports? | Syracusefan.com

Does the ACC move help our other sports?

DezisOrange

Walk On
I know the move is about football. I know basketball is gonna be good anywhere. I feel the same way about our lacrosse. How is womens basketball going ot be affected? The slowly rising tennis program? Volleyball? Track? Cross Country? Hockey? Softball? Field Hockey? These coaches don't get a lot of the limelight so I wonder what are they thinking about this move...if anybody knows or has an opinion.

I know the move is about football. I know basketball is gonna be good anywhere. I feel the same way about our lacrosse. How is womens basketball going ot be affected? The slowly rising tennis program? Volleyball? Track? Cross Country? Hockey? Softball? Field Hockey? These coaches don't get a lot of the limelight so I wonder what are they thinking about this move...if anybody knows or has an opinion.

My thoughts:

Women's bb: Already in the toughest conference, so no impact - we'll still be slightly less than midling
Volleyball and Soccer: We are going to get killed for several years before improving
Field Hockey: We'll compete for the title right away
Softball: We'll compete for Top 3 or 4 right away
Track/Cross Country: Will still be mostly regional, so we'll still be good
Women's Ice Hockey: ACC has no impact since they don't sponsor that sport as a league
Tennis: According to the coach being in the ACC will mean better recruits

Pitt, whose non-revenue sports suck overall, is going to be hurting big time for several years by this move to the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

Should be great for our baseball.

Wait! We eliminated baseball, didn't we?

My thoughts:

Women's bb: Already in the toughest conference, so no impact - we'll still be slightly less than midling
Volleyball and Soccer: We are going to get killed for several years before improving
Field Hockey: We'll compete for the title right away
Softball: We'll compete for Top 3 or 4 right away
Track/Cross Country: Will still be mostly regional, so we'll still be good
Women's Ice Hockey: ACC has no impact since they don't sponsor that sport as a league
Tennis: According to the coach being in the ACC will mean better recruits

Pitt, whose non-revenue sports suck overall, is going to be hurting big time for several years by this move to the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

I'd guess that the chance of SU also stepping up and starting a men's varsity programhas just decreased, since the inital focus will be to establish our existing sports in the ACC. Then again, with more $$ coming in, you never know.

Aside from baseball, are there any other sports that the ACC is big in that are not currently offered at SU? Maybe revive the swimming program?

I'd guess that the chance of SU also stepping up and starting a men's varsity programhas just decreased, since the inital focus will be to establish our existing sports in the ACC. Then again, with more $$ coming in, you never know.

Aside from baseball, are there any other sports that the ACC is big in that are not currently offered at SU? Maybe revive the swimming program?
I did a quick investigation to see where SU stacks up with ACC schools regarding the number of varsity sports sponsored by the school.

ACC Varsity Division I Sports Teams Breakdown

Boston College 31
Maryland 27 (there are plans to cut some programs in the near future)
Duke 26
UNC 28
Virginia 25
NC State 23 (includes men's and women's cheerleading)
Virginia Tech 21
Pittsburgh 19
Clemson 18 (includes women's golf, which will be added in 2013-14)
Syracuse 18
Wake Forest 18
Florida 18 (includes women's volleyball and women's sand volleyball)
Miami 17
Georgia Tech 15

10 ACC schools will be playing women's golf by 2013-14. If we were to add another women's sport, it would probably be golf (SU already owns Drumlins). I would think if a men's sport were to be added, it would be baseball. But given the climate, lack of facilities, expense, lack of popularity of baseball in upstate NY and popularity of lacrosse in CNY, I am not sure it makes a lot of sense. It would be very hard to field a good team in a league as good as the ACC.

I would be surprised if any sports are added as a result of going to the ACC. My guess is that the extra money will be re-invested into the existing programs, or used to ensure that the sports programs at SU break even and are not a drain on the SU academic budget.

I would add women's golf and rifle (or gymnastics)
on the men's side I would add ice hockey.

I would work with BC and ND and try to get into Hockey East.

If there is another sport out there that could possibly make money or at least break even, it is men's hockey. But adding sports costs a lot of money. I would rather be consistently good at a relatively low number of sports than have a bunch more and be mediocre at all of them.

If there is another sport out there that could possibly make money or at least break even, it is men's hockey. But adding sports costs a lot of money. I would rather be consistently good at a relatively low number of sports than have a bunch more and be mediocre at all of them.
Agreed...but we could be very good at Men's Hockey in 5 seasons. We have no problems recruiting Canada as seen by some of the other teams.

Play the matches in the Onondaga County War Memorial

Given how good we are in Women's Hockey after only a few seasons, and how dedicated Dr. Gross and the AD are to fielding competetive Olympic sports, I could see us with a solid hockey program sooner than later. Facilities is obviously the major question, Tennity fills up pretty well for the women's team (those are fun games btw, good for the kids too), I think the men would need a bigger place.

I could see myself getting excited for SU Men's Hockey
Agreed, an SU mens hockey team would be awesome. Good talent in the area, I would imagine

Baseball wil
Should be great for our baseball.

Wait! We eliminated baseball, didn't we?

Baseball eventually will become a revenue sport for the ACC. Syracuse needs to revive the program.

Baseball wil

Baseball eventually will become a revenue sport for the ACC. Syracuse needs to revive the program.
How will baseball become a revenue sport?

There's never been much demand to watch college baseball on TV. You're not going to become a revenue sport without a TV contract.

How, in the name of God, does Boston College have 31 varsity teams???!!! How are they funding all of those teams? Does their Hockey team really pull in that much revenue?

I would think if a men's sport were to be added, it would be baseball. But given the climate, lack of facilities, expense, lack of popularity of baseball in upstate NY and popularity of lacrosse in CNY, I am not sure it makes a lot of sense.

Isn't that the reason they gave for dropping it in the first place? Before the move the the ACC, I thought if they ever added a men's sport, it would be hockey. Now, I'm not so sure - BC is the only other ACC team playing hockey. Maybe baseball, maybe wrestling. Too lazy to look up the ACC schools that sponsor a wrestling team.

Isn't that the reason they gave for dropping it in the first place? Before the move the the ACC, I thought if they ever added a men's sport, it would be hockey. Now, I'm not so sure - BC is the only other ACC team playing hockey. Maybe baseball, maybe wrestling. Too lazy to look up the ACC schools that sponsor a wrestling team.
The baseball team was a victim of Title IX.

The excuses you listed above were probably the excuses they gave to justify it.

I'm a huge hockey guy, and also a Hockey East fan. There's no way that Hockey East would take us in as a fledgling program. We would also get eaten alive in that league for a long time.

Comparing the rise of the women's program, which there are only 35 women's programs in the country, to a men's program is apples and oranges. The women's team, upon inception, somehow hired one of the best coaches in the country, who immediately got a bunch of transfers who led to the rise fo the program. That wouldn't happen in men's hockey. I think it would take close to 10 years to actually start competing and getting recruits. People can say "we're so close to Canada" but fact of the matter is college hockey is dying because top players in Canada play Juniors, and the top kids in the US go to Canada to play Juniors rather than go to college. Canada wouldn't have as much of an impact as you think.

For the person that posted about the club team, they get maybe 20 fans a game and that's real generous. I know most of the kids on that team, great guys but I don't think more than 4 of them could play division 1, also a generous number.

However, it would be awesome to fill the War Memorial for those games, I think students would get into it and there would be a lot of local support. They could easily sell out the WM every game.

Hate to say it, but I bet the first men's sport that is added will be men's tennis. I believe all of the ACC members sponsor both men's and women's tennis. I'd rather see hockey or baseball myself.

The funny thing is, I bet the World Team Tennis format that Billie Jean King started back in the day could make college tennis more enjoyable and TV friendly. But I suspect there are too many colleges that just offer women's tennis to go that route.

Cheers,
Neil

What is the attendance like for the Crunch? Is there enough local interest in hockey to support both the Crunch and an SU team? Just curious.

Long time might be pushing it - Merrimack, Lowell, providence, and UMass aren't exactly powers. Syracuse University sits in the middle of a very fertile recruiting area and would easily out recruit Clarkson, RIT, RPI, St. Lawrence, and Union in a very short time. I see no reason why SU couldn't be on equal footing with a Cornell or Colgate in a few years. , RIT played for a championship not to long ago.

If the school supports the team fiscally, we become a top 15 program in no time.

I'm a huge hockey guy, and also a Hockey East fan. There's no way that Hockey East would take us in as a fledgling program. We would also get eaten alive in that league for a long time.

Comparing the rise of the women's program, which there are only 35 women's programs in the country, to a men's program is apples and oranges. The women's team, upon inception, somehow hired one of the best coaches in the country, who immediately got a bunch of transfers who led to the rise fo the program. That wouldn't happen in men's hockey. I think it would take close to 10 years to actually start competing and getting recruits. People can say "we're so close to Canada" but fact of the matter is college hockey is dying because top players in Canada play Juniors, and the top kids in the US go to Canada to play Juniors rather than go to college. Canada wouldn't have as much of an impact as you think.

For the person that posted about the club team, they get maybe 20 fans a game and that's real generous. I know most of the kids on that team, great guys but I don't think more than 4 of them could play division 1, also a generous number.

However, it would be awesome to fill the War Memorial for those games, I think students would get into it and there would be a lot of local support. They could easily sell out the WM every game.

What is the attendance like for the Crunch? Is there enough local interest in hockey to support both the Crunch and an SU team? Just curious.
SU would outdraw the Crunch. I think if anything you see SU take away fans from the Crunch.