Does the Texas Bowl make money? | Syracusefan.com

Does the Texas Bowl make money?

BostonOrange

2nd String
No title sponsor. Live gate almost nothing. Reliant stadium cannot be cheap to operate for a day. Does the espn check and the tix that the schools buy really offset that? Someone educate me...

No title sponsor. Live gate almost nothing. Reliant stadium cannot be cheap to operate for a day. Does the espn check and the tix that the schools buy really offset that? Someone educate me...
seriously.

what is the state of texas going to do, write it off on their taxes??

is all this just advertising for tourism?? why bother?

i dont get this one either.

I think the Texas Bowl is owned by the Texans NFL organization. Whether they make money is debateable.

they got 10-15K of people traveling into the city that would not be there. maybe they get a kickback from the tourism board. what was the ticket allotment that the conf kick in beyond what the schools buy?

too many bowl games have no people in the stands so there has to be some reason for existence if they are all losing so much money.

They make it up in nachos and rodeo gear.

Of course they make money this bowl is an obvious 501(C)(3) for whomever owns and operates this bowl. They don't pay any taxes and can jack up expenses and write them off instead of paying that money to Uncle Sam. Every bowl is a scam and is full of people being paid inflated salaries and not having to pay that money to the government. Any operator of a bowl probably stuffs that bowl board with relatives, friends, corporate friend and pay them for working on the bowl committee. Its smart and technically legal. You are able to write that money off your tax returns and pay friends instead of the paying the government. I would do it if I was a corporation. Why do you think almost every bowl has a corporate sponsor. They get to write that money off by creating a 501(c)(3) out of it and get advertising/branding out of it as well.

It's called free enterprise. Are there too many movies,malls,womens shoes,restaurants, etc., etc... Maybe there should be a gov committee to decide,or a czar.

If it's owned by the Texans than it at least offsets some costs of having an empty stadium do nothing for a day. It's like having a yard sale. You're not really making much off of anything you sell, but it's more than if the stuff just sat in boxes in a closet somewhere.

I think the Texas Bowl is owned by the Texans NFL organization. Whether they make money is debateable.

It's gotta be a write off similar to NBA teams writing off WNBA teams.

Last edited:
does SU lose money when 25K are at a game?
I sure hope not. Someone estimated our share of the equally divided ACC Bowl revenue to be somewhere north of $2M. Yes, we're responsible for our ticket allotment, but we also receive an allowance from the league to cover the team travel expenses.

As for how the bowls make money, I assume a major source of revenue is from selling the broadcast rights to ESPN, who in turn sells commercial time. Others with more knowledge may have a better idea of the amounts involved.

Of course they make money this bowl is an obvious 501(C)(3) for whomever owns and operates this bowl. They don't pay any taxes and can jack up expenses and write them off instead of paying that money to Uncle Sam. Every bowl is a scam and is full of people being paid inflated salaries and not having to pay that money to the government. Any operator of a bowl probably stuffs that bowl board with relatives, friends, corporate friend and pay them for working on the bowl committee. Its smart and technically legal. You are able to write that money off your tax returns and pay friends instead of the paying the government. I would do it if I was a corporation. Why do you think almost every bowl has a corporate sponsor. They get to write that money off by creating a 501(c)(3) out of it and get advertising/branding out of it as well.
I remember something last year about how one of the bowls had it's own CEO that pulled in like 170k a year or something.

I remember something last year about how one of the bowls had it's own CEO that pulled in like 170k a year or something.
Its a joke my firm gets boatloads of free tickets to the Belk Bowl each year and since we are their firm. The taxation division in my firm makes sure they use every legal loophole they can use in deducting taxes. Corporations can use these bowls for branding and give meaningless jobs to people they know and game the system.

OttoinGrotto said:

Read up on what went down with the Fiesta Bowl. How any of these things still exist is a testament to the power of inertia.

Read up on what went down with the Fiesta Bowl. How any of these things still exist is a testament to the power of inertia.
Oh, this is gonna be fun.
fiesta bowl ceo google search.png

OttoinGrotto said:
Oh man, I low balled it big time. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/12/11/bowl-bosses-pay-college-football/1762487/ I'm not saying this is sickening, and I know some people will come out of the woodwork to say it's just the market and who is anyone to question what someone else makes, but... something's not right here.
It is sickening and there's no "market" rationale. These are tax exempt operations that make people fabulously wealthy. Yet this is not even in the top 10 things about college athletics that should outrage people.

I'm not saying this is sickening, and I know some people will come out of the woodwork to say it's just the market and who is anyone to question what someone else makes, but... something's not right here.

It's crazy. Absolutely crazy.

In other news, I'm starting my own Bowl Game if anyone wants to jump on. I haven't determined the location, but I'm open to bidding from any cities that are interested.