Does this sound familiar? | Syracusefan.com

Does this sound familiar?

SWC75

Bored Historian

I always thought that Nebraska was the least likely of the football superpowers: Yes, they have great fans and a big weight room but they are not in a heavily populated state that produces tons of D1 players like Ohio, Florida, Texas or California. When the sport moved away from the option and towards more passing, I think that hurt them. Getting into the revolving door coaching trap with guys like Callahan, Pellini, Riley and Frost hasn't helped.

I always thought that Nebraska was the least likely of the football superpowers: Yes, they have great fans and a big weight room but they are not in a heavily populated state that produces tons of D1 players like Ohio, Florida, Texas or California. When the sport moved away from the option and towards more passing, I think that hurt them. Getting into the revolving door coaching trap with guys like Callahan, Pellini, Riley and Frost hasn't helped.
I think Nebraska needs to become Nebraska again to jump start their program. Go full-on option football. Get back to their roots. Once they have established that they can think with more pro style stuff.

I’m sure they feel like they weren’t getting NFL caliber recruits because kids didn’t want to play that system. But kids don’t like to lose either. At least if you’re winning, you can build back up.

I think Nebraska needs to become Nebraska again to jump start their program. Go full-on option football. Get back to their roots. Once they have established that they can think with more pro style stuff.

I’m sure they feel like they weren’t getting NFL caliber recruits because kids didn’t want to play that system. But kids don’t like to lose either. At least if you’re winning, you can build back up.

And if defenses have fanned out to stop the spread, a power running game might come back into vogue. Football is cyclical.