Dolezaj , filling the stat sheets | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dolezaj , filling the stat sheets

i must admit i am changing my opinion on marky marek. he still doesn't shoot the ball well, which is a problem, but he does so much else. he is such a good passer that running a high post offense through him really lessens the problem of not having a true point guard. of course, if he shows that he is not a threat to score from there then defenses will just play him to pass & dare him to shoot, but jb can burn that bridge when he gets to it.

i must admit i am changing my opinion on marky marek. he still doesn't shoot the ball well, which is a problem, but he does so much else. he is such a good passer that running a high post offense through him really lessens the problem of not having a true point guard. of course, if he shows that he is not a threat to score from there then defenses will just play him to pass & dare him to shoot, but jb can burn that bridge when he gets to it.

I don't know if I would judge his shooting ability yet. Have we actually seen him attempt the intermediate jumper? I remember lots of shots from deep in the paint, but mostly of the layup and/or put back variety.

Texas Southern played zone the entire game. That gave Dolezaj the ability to move into the open spaces without someone all over him. Sometime players who lack physical strength look much better against a zone. I will hold judgment until I see him succeed against a team who plays hard man to man. He really plays the game the right way though. ;)

Last edited:
Texas Southern played zone the entire game. That gave Dolezaj the ability to move into the open spaces without someone all over him. Sometime players who lack physical strength look much better against a zone I will hold judgment until I see him succeed against a team who plays hard man to man. He really plays the game the right way though. ;)

Good post.

MD is skilled and understands the game. That was the case before he got here. His heady play, passing, defensive anticipation, and energy has been impressive. He has a high ceiling.

What we do not know yet is how MD's skill set is going to translate against bigger, stronger, athletic players who can play pressure defense (like just about everyone in the ACC). This is also true for the majority of the team, with the exception of Battle.

We will know much more about MD, and this team as a whole, by December 6 - after the Maryland, Kansas, UCONN run.

I don't know if I would judge his shooting ability yet. Have we actually seen him attempt the intermediate jumper? I remember lots of shots from deep in the paint, but mostly of the layup and/or put back variety.

Yes, he took a 12 footer in the TSU game and it was a horrific (and I mean terrible) airball. But it's only one shot.

Yes, he took a 12 footer in the TSU game and it was a horrific (and I mean terrible) airball. But it's only one shot.
He clearly doesn't have his confidence as of yet. You can see that watching him play. I believe that as the season goes on, he will gain that confidence and score points for us.

we have 2+ years of of data from europe that tell us he's not a good shooter. but maybe being the 3rd or 4th scoring option will better suit him, as he'll be more selective w/the shots he does take

He has such a high BB IQ and sense of what to do he will establish his role according. He seems very unselfish and just wanting to win On teams that needed him to score he did. If this team dictates he’s a passer he’ll embrace that. But I also agree his confidence is just gaining traction and who knows what he is truly capable of? Jmho