Dom Starsia out at Virginia / Lars Tiffany in | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dom Starsia out at Virginia / Lars Tiffany in

this will be interesting considering the names we've tossed around here. I really think Pressler is one to watch.

Announcing the replacement at the news conference would be extremely tacky. Starsia deserves to go out with his head up, and not upstaged by the announcement of a new coach. Also, the new coach doesn't need to be associated with what some will see as Starsia's sacking. It's much healthier and respectful to separate the two events.

The guy put UVa back on the map and had a tremendous run (As the article states...He won four national championships, advanced to the final four 13 times and qualified for the NCAA Tournament 21 times).

After what he brought to the University, I think that Dom should have been able to announce his own retirement or his personal decision to take on another role in the athletics department. Even if he was fired, I think that he earned that kind of ending.

To have his successor up on the stage with him would be a terrible move and I agree with Delmar.

this will be interesting considering the names we've tossed around here. I really think Pressler is one to watch.
Someone said in a thread earlier this year that Pressler would never leave Bryant. This was in reference to the Syracuse job, should Desko have been let go at some point. (Conversation occurred during our slump mid year.) I am fully of the belief that if UVA came calling, he would go. Too much of an opportunity to win titles and get back at Duke. UVA is def a top 2 if not top 1 job in the country. As a Cuse fan it pains me to say that, but its true.

What's the salary difference between a UVA and Cuse vs Bryant?
Good question. No idea... haha

If Gait is making 700k at SU (including pay from camps, IMG, etc.), as has been reported (link), Johnny D has to be somewhere around that. I'd be shocked, if Bryant was paying Pressler north of 250k. Shocked. Have no idea what UVA was paying Starsia, but the guy had multiple championships, so probably a nice chunk of change.

Good point. i wonder how much Duke had to give him in the settlement.

From what he told a buddy who's son he recruited to Bryant - he doesn't have to work a day in his life if he doesn't want to.

Didn't the kids get like 10 - 20 mil each?

sometimes it's about challenges and not money. if any one of you was regulated to the bottom of the barrel after getting a raw deal, wouldn't you all jump to be at the top of the profession again and win it all. they make movies out of that story.

sometimes it's about challenges and not money. if any one of you was regulated to the bottom of the barrel after getting a raw deal, wouldn't you all jump to be at the top of the profession again and win it all. they make movies out of that story.

There is also the loyalty factor. When no one else would touch him Bryant provided the opportunity. It is not easy to turn your back on someone who gave you a chance.

Fair question. Is he in consideration? It would be a brilliant hire.
Not sure. Just read a post from earlier that people believe they have an agreement with a coach that is still playing. If that's the case, Corrigan would be my bet. He went to school there so I'm just throwing his name out there. It wouldn't be hard for him to get the same quality of player at UVa, if anything, he would have an easier time with admissions

Speculation centers on Tiffany of Brown and Toomey of Loyola. One of our posters thinks Nadelein of Towson will go to Princeton. It may not be Shay because they probably would have had him introduced at the presser.

Tiffany would be a good choice but he's a Brown grad.

Maybe Corrigan

Tiffany would be a good choice but he's a Brown grad.

Maybe Corrigan
Starsia is a Brown grad, too, and was HC at Brown when we hired him. (Which was shocking at the time, not only because he was willing to leave Brown, but "Everyone" thought we'd hire Tierney, who wasn't even interviewed.)

There seems to be a "No, thanks," reaction by most people on TheSabre toward Corrigan. The primary reason seems to be his sideline demeanor is getting too close to Petro's and Tierney's for comfort. Someone said that in our LP thread a poster said that we're crazy if we think we're getting Corrigan or Tillman. We're all mystified on TheSabre because no one at all has mentioned any interest in Tillman, primarily because he'd be foolish to leave UMd for us and just about everyone doesn't want him because they hate his offense.

Last edited:
Hoo's That have you anything on any transfers, any speculation?
TheSabre is still humming with talk about the non-renewal and hasn't discussed players. Exams have ended and those who aren't graduating this weekend have gone home, so it will take a while for reactions by them to surface. There also may be a "wait and see" period until the new coach is introduced.

This is super interesting in that, I consider the UVA job to be very similar, (perhaps a little better, ugh) than the Cuse gig. Super curious what type of established coaches we would be able to interest, when the job here comes open. Most likely by JD's retirement, at this stage.

This is super interesting in that, I consider the UVA job to be very similar, (perhaps a little better, ugh) than the Cuse gig. Super curious what type of established coaches we would be able to interest, when the job here comes open. Most likely by JD's retirement, at this stage.

yeah me to

TheSabre is still humming with talk about the non-renewal and hasn't discussed players. Exams have ended and those who aren't graduating this weekend have gone home, so it will take a while for reactions by them to surface. There also may be a "wait and see" period until the new coach is introduced.

UVa Athletics Director, Craig Littlepage is handling this terribly. Dom Starsia deserves a lot better. How could they let this leak? Once it did.. at least own it or deny it. We still have no confirmation. When they make the announcement now it will incredibly awkward.

UVa Athletics Director, Craig Littlepage is handling this terribly. Dom Starsia deserves a lot better. How could they let this leak? Once it did.. at least own it or deny it. We still have no confirmation. When they make the announcement now it will incredibly awkward.
A poster on TheSabre cited the Roanoke paper as saying someone leaked an e-mail that was sent to some of the MLax alums (yours truly didn't get one; I guess former managers don't rate one :(). We seem to be on a long streak of handling these things terribly. George Welsh. Debbie Ryan (the HoF women's bball coach). The swimming coach who turned us into a nationally ranked team (apparently given an ultimatum to fire an assistant and wouldn't). The Presidential coup. Ryan's (Gene Corrigan's niece) situation was very eerily similar to what we're going through now.

A poster on TheSabre cited the Roanoke paper as saying someone leaked an e-mail that was sent to some of the MLax alums (yours truly didn't get one; I guess former managers don't rate one :(). We seem to be on a long streak of handling these things terribly. George Welsh. Debbie Ryan (the HoF women's bball coach). The swimming coach who turned us into a nationally ranked team (apparently given an ultimatum to fire an assistant and wouldn't). The Presidential coup. Ryan's (Gene Corrigan's niece) situation was very eerily similar to what we're going through now.
Casually met the UVA Director of Comms recently and was discussing the crazy few years the school has had. This is more in reference to non-sports events, Rolling Stone, Presidential situation, missing student, etc. UVA should definitely consult on crisis comms in the academic arena. You guys have had a ton of practice lately. Not making fun either, as a Syracuse fan, we have had our many issues recently too.

Starsia is a Brown grad, too, and was HC at Brown when we hired him. (Which was shocking at the time, not only because he was willing to leave Brown, but "Everyone" thought we'd hire Tierney, who wasn't even interviewed.)

There seems to be a "No, thanks," reaction by most people on TheSabre toward Corrigan. The primary reason seems to be his sideline demeanor is getting too close to Petro's and Tierney's for comfort. Someone said that in our LP thread a poster said that we're crazy if we think we're getting Corrigan or Tillman. We're all mystified on TheSabre because no one at all has mentioned any interest in Tillman, primarily because he'd be foolish to leave UMd for us and just about everyone doesn't want him because they hate his offense.
How many NCAA championships has Corrigan won in his 28 years at Notre Dame? The Sabre is right about his sideline demeanor. Virginia can do better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom