Dome Roof | Syracusefan.com

Dome Roof

Tornado91

Walk On
It was replaced around 1999 or 2000. I wonder what the expected life span is. With all of the talk about stadium upgrades/replacements over the past few years, I've never had a good sense of the cost of dome maintenance. I've heard that it's expensive- possibly outrageously so. Wouldn't that factor into long term stadium decisions? And with technological advances, I wonder if a retrofit with a retractable roof is a consideration. I've seen it written off on the board in the past, but it all seems like conjecture.

There are options, but just like everything else it comes down to dinero. When SU replaced the roof the last time, they were considering the same type design as the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, but the cost was too high...a retractable dome would cost far more, so I doubt it will ever be seriously considered...

It was replaced around 1999 or 2000. I wonder what the expected life span is. With all of the talk about stadium upgrades/replacements over the past few years, I've never had a good sense of the cost of dome maintenance. I've heard that it's expensive- possibly outrageously so. Wouldn't that factor into long term stadium decisions? And with technological advances, I wonder if a retrofit with a retractable roof is a consideration. I've seen it written off on the board in the past, but it all seems like conjecture.

Fairly sure that a retractable Dome would require major structural changes as the original design could not support the additional weight. I'm sure maintenance costs on the Dome are high...but building a new stadium is fiscally impossible without help from NYS, and it's unlikely that help is or will be available any time soon. If we're playing in a stadium other than the Dome in 2025, I will be shocked.

BC Place in Vancouver underwent a renovation and transformation from an air-supported roof to a retractable roof ... at a cost of $563 million.

Ugly looking thing, isn't it?

We're better off starting from scratch.

I know that the original roof lasted 19 years (until 1999) and that the new one is only 12 years old. Since the new one is a better roof and it's never been lowered (which takes years off the life of the roof), it'll be good for at least another decade unless something catastrophic happens.

Even a fixed Georgia Dome-style roof can't cost too much more than $50 million. A retractable roof - if it's even structurally possible - would be two or three times that. Like Cusefan said, it would be very surprising to see SU playing anywhere other than the Dome. It's a good facility, and renovating it into a great facility would be cheaper than building a new stadium by at least a factor of five.

I noticed yesterday how much the sunlight impacts the dome when the clouds pass by versus when the sun is blasting down through. It makes a big difference. Dont know how I've never noticed that. Could've been the bevs.