Donna Ditota tweet | Syracusefan.com

Donna Ditota tweet

Jamesvillecuse

2nd String
she tweeted that Dave Bing was starting a mentoring program for black boys in Detroit. Now I know she didn't mean it that way but you gotta have more sense than that!

Last edited:
she tweeted that Dave Bing was starting a mentoring problem for black boys in Detroit. Now I know she didn't mean it that way but you got to have more sense than that!

Seriously? Political Correctness is out of control. It's like people read things with the sole intention of finding out how it could be viewed as racists/sexist/or any other -ist.

she tweeted that Dave Bing was starting a mentoring problem for black boys in Detroit. Now I know she didn't mean it that way but you got to have more sense than that!

"Problem" or "Program?" Also, not sure what the controversy is here. Good for Mr. Bing.

Also, not sure what the controversy is here.
the juxtaposition of the words "black" and "boys" is an automatic trigger for many

Nothing to get panties in a twist over...however..i personally can't stand her.

I think she did mean it that way, whatever that way is.....except she called it a program not a problem.

From Donna's article:

"The former Syracuse basketball great launches BINGO (Boys Inspired through Nurturing Growth and Opportunities)."

"We give all this lip service to the problems and what we need to do for our boys, but when it comes time to help out and get engaged, it's 'Well, I'm too busy.' - D. Bing

Boys is a completely appropriate word in this situation.

Why is it only for Black Boys? What about the White Boys in Detroit? I suppose they are on their own.

Boys is a completely appropriate word in this situation.
oh, I agree; but again, it is an automatic trigger especially when de-contextualized so that it seems like it is a white woman saying it

Yeah, I'm not seeing what the problem is here. It's creating an issue where there is no issue, to me.

the problem is the double standards of the media they don't hold themselves to same standards they hold coaches or players.

Why is it only for Black Boys? What about the White Boys in Detroit? I suppose they are on their own.
Well, given the current demographics of the City of Detroit, you might have trouble finding enough white boys to establish a program.

Well, given the current demographics of the City of Detroit, you might have trouble finding enough white boys to establish a program.

The program could just be for boys in Detroit who need mentoring. That was my point and then there is no need to ever mention "Black Boys" we all know that a majority of boys living in the city of Detroit are African American.

YEars ago I was playing pick-up football in Atlanta (Peachtree Park?) and we were all white playing an all black team. someone called them 'boys' and the next play he had a broken shoulder.

The program could just be for boys in Detroit who need mentoring. That was my point and then there is no need to ever mention "Black Boys" we all know that a majority of boys living in the city of Detroit are African American.
The great majority of boys in Detroit are black. The huge majority of boys in Detroit who need mentoring are black.

Dave Bing is black, and likely is more of a role model for black boys. But, knowing what I do about Mr. Bing, I doubt he would turn any non-black child away. After all, he roomed with a white guy 50 years ago when there was still legal segregation in this country.

The great majority of boys in Detroit are black. The huge majority of boys in Detroit who need mentoring are black.

Dave Bing is black, and likely is more of a role model for black boys. But, knowing what I do about Mr. Bing, I doubt he would turn any non-black child away. After all, he roomed with a white guy 50 years ago when there was still legal segregation in this country.

Agreed, but why identify it that way.

Between this and the Simmons thread I can only assume its a pretty slow day for all of us.
did you hear about AJ Long?