Donna Ditota tweet | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Donna Ditota tweet

YEars ago I was playing pick-up football in Atlanta (Peachtree Park?) and we were all white playing an all black team. someone called them 'boys' and the next play he had a broken shoulder.
You don't see any difference in the context with which "boys" was used in these two instances?

Btw, I was playing in an all-white pickup football game in college and one of the guys broke his collarbone.

oh, I agree; but again, it is an automatic trigger especially when de-contextualized so that it seems like it is a white woman saying it
While we all understand the historical context...things get pushed to extremes.

First, there's a difference between calling boys "boys" and calling men "boys."
Second, shouldn't the frequently used term "white boys" be considered odious becaue of its racial context...even if much different from the way the word was used for black males?
Third, and this directly involves basketball, isn't it time we put away black/white steroptypes about the game?
There was a great take on point by Nick Stauskas:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/score-stereotypes-live-sports-article-1.1970957

Wow. I'm scared to death what this society will look like when my kids are in high school. The fact this thread exists is damn scary

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Social media is filled with millions upon millions of insults and insensitive remarks that are racist, sexist, or whatever. This isn't one of them.