Donna Shalala named 2023 Syracuse Commencement Speaker | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Donna Shalala named 2023 Syracuse Commencement Speaker

We had NJ Governor Tom Kean as speaker in 1987.

I recall Shalala getting some honorary thing too, but not the main speaker. I could be remembering that wrong though.

I think Kurt Waldheim was supposed to be our speaker in 1977, but old Nazi affiliations had been revealed and he was cancelled in favor of NYS Governor Hugh Carey. Thanks for the Dome, Hugh!

Donna is perfect. Shes kind of like the the poor mans portal commencement speaker.
Can she cover the corner?

In 1998, we had Robert Fulghum, author of “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.” That’s exactly who you want to hear from after spending six figures on a degree.

we had Frank McCourt (the author, not the former dodgers owner) before he passed two years later. I think he gave a great speech. I honestly don't remember. I assume an Irish girl on the panel had a lot of sway and picked him.

In 1981 we had Alexander Haig, Secretary if State - complete with political protests in the stands. My wife and brother 1983 had Daniel Boorstin from the Library of Congress - his name was fitting boooooooring. My daughter in 2013 had George Saunders who I never heard of before or since. My favorite Commencement Speakers are ones that keep it under 10 minutes.

In 1981 we had Alexander Haig, Secretary if State - complete with political protests in the stands. My wife and brother 1983 had Daniel Boorstin from the Library of Congress - his name was fitting boooooooring. My daughter in 2013 had George Saunders who I never heard of before or since. My favorite Commencement Speakers are ones that keep it under 10 minutes.
Not that it is exciting but Saunders teaches at SU and is a well regarded author.

We had Ted Koppel in 2000 can’t remember what he said but can immediately recall the images of the sundresses that graduates sisters wore on the quad in vivid detail.

Donna Shalala named 2023 Syracuse Commencement Speaker​

which one is she in the pic ?

5b328d632e83f_t.jpg

After graduation ceremonies have concluded, Chancellor Syverud and Otto will be available outside Hendricks Chapel for photographs.

$9.95

George Saunders is largely considered the top short story writer in America. He teaches at SU. I realize that he caters to a niche audience, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom