Donnie Freeman McD AA Game Thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Donnie Freeman McD AA Game Thread

Kind of like Maliq lol. Then the question becomes, is it easier to replace Bell or Maliq? Honestly I think Maliq brings more to the table and Bells shooting is replaceable with a guy that shoots at a high clip but also brings better D and rebounding. Doesn't matter though since Maliq is gone. Can't drive your car by looking in the rear view mirror, gotta look out the windshield to keep going forward. I'm looking forward to seeing who else Red brings in with all the open spots we have.
Other posters may disagree, but I think there's still untapped potential in Bell defensively and in transition. He needs to bulk up some, but he's more athletic than many give him credit for. He made some very impressive plays in the second half of the season with chasedown/weakside blocks and exploding to the bucket. I'd like to see more of that next season, and Red needs to continue to prove he can develop players.

I hear ya. I could have seen Donnie at the 3 some, given he has a solid 3-point shot and handle, but I doubt Bell would have stayed (assuming he does) if he went from starter to reserve for next season...but that would have been a fun 3-5!
If the choice was Bell or Brown, I would have choose Brown. Almost a no brainer. Bell needs to improve in several key facets of the game.

If the choice was Bell or Brown, I would have choose Brown. Almost a no brainer. Bell needs to improve in several key facets of the game.
I hear ya. It's well documented his struggles at times on the boards and on defense, although I thought he was a little better this year than as a freshman in both areas. I also hear ya re: Brown versus Bell, but kind of a tough comparison, given they play different positions. I'll always wonder the full extent of Brown's decision to transfer: Donnie coming in, playing the 4 versus the 5, other guys he's close with transferring out, GMac leaving, etc, etc.

From The Athletic:

One of the biggest stock risers this week was Syracuse commit Donnie Freeman. On Day 1 of the practices, it felt like he didn’t miss a shot from behind the arc. Several scouts would look at the roster and make slight comments like “Who is that kid” or “Has he missed yet?” He has a chance to be an elite pick-and-pop guy at the next level with his 6-foot-9 frame. Every year there’s always one guy who comes out of this event and helps himself going into their freshman campaign; this year it was Freeman. He is one to look out for going into the 2024-25 college basketball season.

From The Athletic:

One of the biggest stock risers this week was Syracuse commit Donnie Freeman. On Day 1 of the practices, it felt like he didn’t miss a shot from behind the arc. Several scouts would look at the roster and make slight comments like “Who is that kid” or “Has he missed yet?” He has a chance to be an elite pick-and-pop guy at the next level with his 6-foot-9 frame. Every year there’s always one guy who comes out of this event and helps himself going into their freshman campaign; this year it was Freeman. He is one to look out for going into the 2024-25 college basketball season.

On the TV he looked a lot taller than 6'9''

Makes me wonder if Donnie at the 3, Brown at 4, Lampkin at the 5, and Bell 6th man off the bench would have been possible...
Then Bell would have left.

I hear ya. It's well documented his struggles at times on the boards and on defense, although I thought he was a little better this year than as a freshman in both areas. I also hear ya re: Brown versus Bell, but kind of a tough comparison, given they play different positions. I'll always wonder the full extent of Brown's decision to transfer: Donnie coming in, playing the 4 versus the 5, other guys he's close with transferring out, GMac leaving, etc, etc.
Bell + Eddie is better than Brown + Eddie. Would not have all 3, evidently.

It’s weird that posters have yet to figure out that Bell was one of the priority guys to keep.
Some can't fathom that the staff believes in him.

You know, the guys that spend the most time analyzing his abilities as a hooper.

He has the hardest - and arguably most important - skill to find in the game - shooting. We don't have enough of it and can't afford to let what we have go away.

I don't think its even arguable. Bell shot over 40% from deep on a team with no consistent shooters, in a power 5 conference when every coach game planned to never leave him open. He did this as a Soph! I think he overall shooting skill is vastly under rated here.

I was most interested to see if he had it in him to hit the boards, came away thinking he does. He went to the glass and with those long arms he should get his share of rebounds next season.

I was most interested to see if he had it in him to hit the boards, came away thinking he does. He went to the glass and with those long arms he should get his share of rebounds next season.
bell was 9th in ACC in 3 pt % . 90th in rebounding.

wrong. 3pt 9th acc season. 10th acc conf. (and spotty as hell)
as for rebounding in conference games...82. behind maliq, behind benny, behind judah , justin and jj.
i mean that's pretty sad . joe g3 outrebounded chris bell.

link
Atlantic Coast Conference Stats - RealGM

Last edited:
wrong. 3pt 9th acc season. 10th acc conf. (and spotty as hell)
as for rebounding in conference games...82. behind maliq, behind benny, behind judah , justin and jj.
i mean that's pretty sad . joe g3 outrebounded chris bell.

link
Atlantic Coast Conference Stats - RealGM

Official ACC site

IMG_1536.jpeg
IMG_1535.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online