Don't get all the hand wringing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Don't get all the hand wringing

Oh and as for Kansas? They have to get by New Mexico.

And I know we have to get by Ohio State, but I think NM has a better chance of beating KU than OSU has of beating us, frankly.

New Mexico is a Mountain West fraud. I got burned by them last year when they lost to Harvard.

If we play poorly we lose in any bracket. If we play well, this bracket isn't that tough. OSU is not a good team and may not even get past Dayton. Kansas, if they don't have Embid, isn't great especially as a 2. They get sloppy and can turn it over. Then it's Florida. You have to go through a number 1 seed someplace, barring a big upset. Hell, maybe Pitt or UCLA picks them off.

100% agree. I liked our draw. Very beatable teams if we find our offense. No great three point shooting teams in there. OSU isn't. FL isn't. Neither is KU. We need to take care of business in Buffalo and then anything is possible.

I would like to add that it's refreshing to be discussing our actual draw, and not some meaningless hypothetical bracketology.

I hate most hypothetical, what-if threads anyway. Especially when they are started just for shites and giggles, topics such as "What if we had Jabari Parker?" That is sleepover at your friend's house middle of the night eating cheese doodles garbage, not for a message board. Waste of time and cause more arguments worth staying out of. We had a poster here a few years ago that would only post hypothetical stuff. Everyday. One after another. Yawn city. People come here for news and insight, not "what do you think would happen if..." BS.

Wow...do I sound old and crotchety? Sorry. I'm so not that. Carry on.

If we play poorly we lose in any bracket. If we play well, this bracket isn't that tough. OSU is not a good team and may not even get past Dayton. Kansas, if they don't have Embid, isn't great especially as a 2. They get sloppy and can turn it over. Then it's Florida. You have to go through a number 1 seed someplace, barring a big upset. Hell, maybe Pitt or UCLA picks them off.
there's something magic about making the final 4. losing to florida in the final 4 seems like a glorious season. losing to them in the elite 8, eh ok nice job.

it's not rational. but if final 4 is one of the goals, you'd rather have any other 1 seed. if it's all about the NC, doesn't matter, you'll have to probably play them

i'm not even thinking about florida because that bridge seems a million miles away to thinking about crossing

Id like to see this team get to the Sweet 16, while I certainly wouldn't be thrilled if we fell to Kansas there or someone else based on our scoring issues this year I could at least accept it. Losing in the first round would be devestating, really hope the team comes to play Thursday.

Hand wringing and beads of sweat on my brow! My feeling is the team that showed up for FSU will show up for Western Michigan. And the team that showed up to play NCST will show up for Ohio State. I think in all the year's I've watch Orange basketball I've never had my expectations swing so wildly from national champion to sweet 16 in a short three weeks. The team needs 7 solid players. Injuries are inevitable. At this time, our team is playing like a team that should be ranked around 30.

I want to believe in dreams of Orange. But at this point, if we make it to the sweet 16 and win the next 2 games I will claim we have had a successful season.

there's something magic about making the final 4. losing to florida in the final 4 seems like a glorious season. losing to them in the elite 8, eh ok nice job.

it's not rational. but if final 4 is one of the goals, you'd rather have any other 1 seed. if it's all about the NC, doesn't matter, you'll have to probably play them

i'm not even thinking about florida because that bridge seems a million miles away to thinking about crossing

I hate this kind of talk. People were talking this way about playing Duke in the ACC tournament. We first have to beat Western Michigan. It's really not a gimme win the way our team has been playing.

I hate this kind of talk. People were talking this way about playing Duke in the ACC tournament. We first have to beat Western Michigan. It's really not a gimme win the way our team has been playing.
no . reread the post. "i'm not even thinking about florida because that bridge seems a million miles away to thinking about crossing"

Anything is possible with this team, I don't fear the really good teams but I don't think we can roll any of these teams by 15 points either. I expect WMU to be a relatively close game unless we shoot well. The 13 point spread is a crazy, IMO

... I want to believe in dreams of Orange. But at this point, if we make it to the sweet 16 and win the next 2 games I will claim we have had a successful season.

Not me, not at all. I will need MUCH more to claim it a successful season.

I completely understand your point and agree with most of what you stated. I think you are actually being quite rationale... d@mn you! However, for me, I will likely look back at this season as a complete mess and wasted opportunity to do some great things if we flame out after only two wins in the tourney. Yeah, 25-0 was awesome, but owning the ACC our very first year in the conference was right there for the taking along with claiming a 1 seed in the tourney. Instead, we laid a giant egg. I say Elite 8 (at least) or this season will stink for a long time, at least for me.

Anything is possible with this team, I don't fear the really good teams but I don't think we can roll any of these teams by 15 points either. I expect WMU to be a relatively close game unless we shoot well. The 13 point spread is a crazy, IMO
the little bit i saw of wmu vs UB (assuming it was WMU, i don't do with with directionals), they looked like december cannon fodder

WMU lost to eastern michigan by 20 scoring 36 points in the process. Just Saying!

This team should get to the sweet 16, and without Embiid I wouldn't be surprised to see Kansas picked off early by New Mexico or Stanford. The Elite 8 should be our goal.

haha i knew i was going to screw it up. glad to hear that EMU beat WMU

Not me, not at all. I will need MUCH more to claim it a successful season.

I completely understand your point and agree with most of what you stated. I think you are actually being quite rationale... d@mn you! However, for me, I will likely look back at this season as a complete mess and wasted opportunity to do some great things if we flame out after only two wins in the tourney. Yeah, 25-0 was awesome, but owning the ACC our very first year in the conference was right there for the taking along with claiming a 1 seed in the tourney. Instead, we laid a giant egg. I say Elite 8 (at least) or this season will stink for a long time, at least for me.
Completely agree. Anything less than an Elite 8 and i'll be very disappointed by this season. If we get out of the first weekend, that means we should have our confidence back and then the sky is the limit.

but if kansas does have embiid... then we are playing 2 top 3 picks if we get that far.

I'll worry about the second game, and beyond if we win Thursday, that's not a given. As far as the bracket goes its not the toughest of the draws, the SEC is actually less then a mid-major this year, so Florida even though a good team, has to be a little suspect. Kansas once again, just like Duke vastly over-rated by the committee, this committee made up different rules for every team they put in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom