Don't Look For Many ACC Visitors in the Dome | Syracusefan.com

Don't Look For Many ACC Visitors in the Dome

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Trust me. They are travel snobs. They do not travel north. Sure we'll get NE Transplants but wait for the comments. On the bright side we should see better numbers from BC and MD.

Well, I think that we will get a nice share from the BC, Pitt, and Maryland games...the deep south probably very little. There seem to be UNC hoops fans everywhere so I suspect they will represent even if they arent coming all the way from UNC.

Just heard some FSU fan call in after the conference call on SIRIUS, it was a female. She said for the best basketball they should have added WV and L'Ville. (which made me laugh). Then she said she will never travel to Pitt and Syracuse ever, especially Syracuse (and I'm sure the city of Syracuse is crying over that).

Just heard some FSU fan call in after the conference call on SIRIUS, it was a female. She said for the best basketball they should have added WV and L'Ville. (which made me laugh). Then she said she will never travel to Pitt and Syracuse ever, especially Syracuse (and I'm sure the city of Syracuse is crying over that).
She wants to add those schools and not Syracuse because FSU can beat WVU in basketball. Syracuse will blow them out in basketball.

Trust me. They are travel snobs. They do not travel north. Sure we'll get NE Transplants but wait for the comments. On the bright side we should see better numbers from BC and MD.

Not sure I agree with that, Mark. Virginia Tech ALWAYS put at least 5K fans in the Dome. Florida State had a very solid contigent of fans when we played them in 2004. And I don't know this for sure, but Clemson fans seem like they would travel well.

Right now, WVU is the only team in the Big East that travels well for football.

But UConn and Rutgers doesn't travel West now. :)

Outside of WVU who in the big east traveled well to the dome now?

BC really doesn't travel that well.

And I might add:
Possibily the worst school for tailgating I know.
On the basketball front, no one in Boston cares about BC basketball.

They will travel better than the big east teams save WVU.

Sent from my DROIDX

First game as a student where I was wowed by opposing fans on campus (excluding PSU) was Florida State in 1989. I'm sure they'll travel well.

All I'm saying is I don't think we'll see huge numbers in Oct and Nov during conference season. VT did travel but until we become a Top 25 team again I see them choosing 2-4 hour drives over 6-12 hour drives. I do agree the visiting fans should be better than say UL, Cincy and USF. Pitt will still bring their friends and families contingent.

As opposed to those Louisville, Cincy, USF, UConn, Rutgers contingents who combine for about half of what VT used to bring. FSU also traveled better than those schools combined in 2004. Clemson will travel, and help make the Dome more orange.

The best news is that SU fans will be much more interested in most conference opponents. I read what Omni said about BC, but they're a different bunch in Chestnut Hill, not to mention this move isn't outpost for SU by any means.

Win-win-win-win-win.

As opposed to those Louisville, Cincy, USF, UConn, Rutgers contingents who combine for about half of what VT used to bring. FSU also traveled better than those schools combined in 2004. Clemson will travel, and help make the Dome more orange.

The best news is that SU fans will be much more interested in most conference opponents. I read what Omni said about BC, but they're a different bunch in Chestnut Hill, not to mention this move isn't outpost for SU by any means.

Win-win-win-win-win.

The main point is that we don't get a lot of visiting fans to the Dome now, so my post was mostly about not expecting a significant increase in attendance by going to the ACC - using BC as an example.

And we are talking Boston vs Syracuse. If the Eagles couldn't get ACC fans outside of VT and FSU to show up to their games in Boston, I think it is unrealistic to assume SU will in Syracuse.

Lastly, central New York college football fans have more interest in Big Ten teams than they do ACC teams. If we want to increase attendance at the Dome, we will need to improve the product and not rely on the conference we are in - same as always.

Cheers,
Neil

The main point is that we don't get a lot of visiting fans to the Dome now, so my post was mostly about not expecting a significant increase in attendance by going to the ACC - using BC as an example.

And we are talking Boston vs Syracuse. If the Eagles couldn't get ACC fans outside of VT and FSU to show up to their games in Boston, I think it is unrealistic to assume SU will in Syracuse.

Lastly, central New York college football fans have more interest in Big Ten teams than they do ACC teams. If we want to increase attendance at the Dome, we will need to improve the product and not rely on the conference we are in - same as always.

Cheers,
Neil

Don't disagree with any of that. But we go from 1 away fanbase to possible 3-4 who could travel in better numbers. I said yesterday that I think Syracuse the city would respond more to the Big 10, but not the school fit. This move hopefully helps us improve the product.

All I'm saying is I don't think we'll see huge numbers in Oct and Nov during conference season. VT did travel but until we become a Top 25 team again I see them choosing 2-4 hour drives over 6-12 hour drives. I do agree the visiting fans should be better than say UL, Cincy and USF. Pitt will still bring their friends and families contingent.

1/2 dozen or more ACC teams will travel better than every single BE team except WVU. This is definitely a +1 for attendance.

Georgia Tech man here, so WELCOME TO THE ACC.

I took the trip up to BC when we played in Boston a few years ago, and there was a solid contingent of a few hundred Tech fans there. Of course, having a conference that stretches from Miami to Syracuse does make travel difficult for fans, however, hopefully this will let us move to geographically-motivated divisions. Have a North of Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Maryland, UVA, VT, and one of the North Carolina schools. Those trips aren't bad, and I think you'd see fans willing to make those drives/flights for compelling games.

Agree with you Boneville and thank you for your welcome. Living in Raleigh, NC makes me think that something to consider is there are a LOT of NY transplants living in this area who will now have their interests in following the Orangemen stimulated. How this impacts attendance, travel, sales in general etc only time will tell.