Don't Worry About Our Freshmen | Syracusefan.com

Don't Worry About Our Freshmen

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
There's been some worrying about our freshmen outside of Ennis on this board.

Stop.

BJ Johnson may be the youngest player in the class of 2013. I don't even know how high his ceiling could be yet he's so young. I suspect that he will be a great contributor, but likely not until his junior year. Right now, he's young mentally, and needs to grow into and put muscle on that nice frame of his. He has quickness, tenacity and plenty of talent.

Roberson has a sweeeeeet free throw stroke and looks like he could grow into a nice offensive role next year. He however, is also not ready yet this year to contribute. Beast needs to put on 10 pounds, then I suspect he could possibly turn into an offensive machine. I'm not worried at all about Roberson, he's not physically ready just yet for ACC play, and that's fine because we have several experienced players who play his position at forward.

If anything, Patterson to me has been incredibly impressive. I don't know if he's 100% ready to contribute. But damn, other teams would kill to have him, I know IU would. The kid had a great game against Binghamton (granted low competition). He looked great distributing the ball and was very active on the glass. It's nice seeing him put on a nice little performance like he did last night, when I remember how nervous and shaky he was in Canada. I'd say right now out of the non starting freshman, Buss is the most physically ready and most capable of contributing right now.

Fortunately, none of these players have to contribute right now. We are not other teams who bring in exciting prospects and depend on them to immediately contribute. We are Syracuse University, we take good players and turn them into exceptional players after 3 or 4 years. Bj, Tyler, and Buss are in a great position to play their freshman minutes when given, study JB and Hopkins and soak in the experience and knowledge they'll gain practicing against and watching players like CJ, Cooney, Grant etc.

We are in great shape.

Can you do something to alleviate my fears of Yellow Stones mega volcano erupting?

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE.

who's worried about our freshman?

Just been noticing throughout the past couple days that theres been some posts spread across the bball forum questioning the potential of our three. Thought maybe I'd making this thread to calm people down, or if anything just have an encouraging thread for the freshman not named Tyler Ennis.

Just been noticing throughout the past couple days that theres been some posts spread across the bball forum questioning the potential of our three. Thought maybe I'd making this thread to calm people down, or if anything just have an encouraging thread for the freshman not named Tyler Ennis.
I'm pretty confident they will be great.

There's been some worrying about our freshmen outside of Ennis on this board.

Stop.

BJ Johnson may be the youngest player in the class of 2013. I don't even know how high his ceiling could be yet he's so young. I suspect that he will be a great contributor, but likely not until his junior year. Right now, he's young mentally, and needs to grow into and put muscle on that nice frame of his. He has quickness, tenacity and plenty of talent.

Roberson has a sweeeeeet free throw stroke and looks like he could grow into a nice offensive role next year. He however, is also not ready yet this year to contribute. Beast needs to put on 10 pounds, then I suspect he could possibly turn into an offensive machine. I'm not worried at all about Roberson, he's not physically ready just yet for ACC play, and that's fine because we have several experienced players who play his position at forward.

If anything, Patterson to me has been incredibly impressive. I don't know if he's 100% ready to contribute. But damn, other teams would kill to have him, I know IU would. The kid had a great game against Binghamton (granted low competition). He looked great distributing the ball and was very active on the glass. It's nice seeing him put on a nice little performance like he did last night, when I remember how nervous and shaky he was in Canada. I'd say right now out of the non starting freshman, Buss is the most physically ready and most capable of contributing right now.

Fortunately, none of these players have to contribute right now. We are not other teams who bring in exciting prospects and depend on them to immediately contribute. We are Syracuse University, we take good players and turn them into exceptional players after 3 or 4 years. Bj, Tyler, and Buss are in a great position to play their freshman minutes when given, study JB and Hopkins and soak in the experience and knowledge they'll gain practicing against and watching players like CJ, Cooney, Grant etc.

We are in great shape.
IU had Patterson on campus for a summer and ran him off.

the only reason people are worrying is because those same people incredibly thought we would play 4 frosh and go 11 deep.

the rational people arent worried.

Last edited:
If any one of those freshmen - or their parents - look on this board, we went them to feel the love, and encourage them to have patience. Their time is coming. It is the rare SU player who doesn't get his opportunity to shine, if shine they can. Players like Mookie Jones are rare. That was hard to watch. Boeheim % Co. are pretty good about picking winners.

I have not been at all worried about these players developing over time. I have been concerned and sympathetic about how hard it must be for all of them to be the best of the best in high school, and then have to once again jump through hoops. (Oh! See what I did there?) We've had many players feel tremendously frustrated as freshmen and from the stories I've heard, their parents have been instrumental in encouraging them to stay with the program. Thank you, parents! You rock!

Can you do something to alleviate my fears of Yellow Stones mega volcano erupting?

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE.

who's worried about our freshman?

As far as the Jellystone thing, Word is that we are recruiting a kid from Wyoming that is named Max Caldera. No Problem with the super volcano.

We also need to drop this should have redshirted BJ topic. He wasn't redshirted, it was a thought out decision. Time to move on and look forward to his undeniably bright future.
maybe you should stick to posting what you want and let the rest of us post for ourself. And it wasn't well thought out. The minutes prove that.

maybe you should stick to posting what you want and let the rest of us post for ourself. And it wasn't well thought out. The minutes prove that.
Just see no point in beating a dead horse.

But you're welcome to beat it for yourself if you'd like.

Just see no point in beating a dead horse.

But you're welcome to beat it for yourself if you'd like.
there is a reason that would escape you for my posts on this subject.

The minutes prove it wasn't thought out? Really? What if he/they didn't want to go to college for 5 years?

No, the minutes, or lack thereof, are not proof that it wasn't a thought out decision. It is just a statistic used by you to support something you wished had happened.

If I had to take a educated guess, we lose Fair and have a 70% chance of loosing Grant after this year but we return Cooney and Ennis unless Ennis leads us to a championship game maybe. And Ennis and Cooney are only going to get better.

That says alot about our newer guys playing in the backcourt next year vs our front court. Thankfully we don't have a third guard to overshadow Ron, Kaleb and Gbinije/BJ(swingmen) so they could all get some minutes. On the other hand its hard to not imagine Cooney and Ennis getting 34 minutes apiece next year.

Last edited:
Maybe you should be his parents or his current coaching staff and run the team.:bat:
Well, lets see, I wouldn't and don't want to be his parent. It seems you guys have done a great job of that. I don't want to be the coach. While the dough would be great, I love syracuse basketball too much to see me coach and jb not. He is a fantastic coach. What I do know, having been at Syracuse since jb coached game 1, is that we don't red shirt near enough. And that kids like B.J., who don't play enough for their liking sometimes leave the program. That is bad for Syracuse and most often, the player. I look at Cooney and see a kid that got that. He would be a jr now without his red shirt year. I believe all three frosh are good players. Two of them, B.J. and Roberson are real good. I don't want to see them discouraged from what I knew would be a year that they didn't play a lot. No student has been hurt by red shirting.

Well, lets see, I wouldn't and don't want to be his parent. It seems you guys have done a great job of that. I don't want to be the coach. While the dough would be great, I love syracuse basketball too much to see me coach and jb not. He is a fantastic coach. What I do know, having been at Syracuse since jb coached game 1, is that we don't red shirt near enough. And that kids like B.J., who don't play enough for their liking sometimes leave the program. That is bad for Syracuse and most often, the player. I look at Cooney and see a kid that got that. He would be a jr now without his red shirt year. I believe all three frosh are good players. Two of them, B.J. and Roberson are real good. I don't want to see them discouraged from what I knew would be a year that they didn't play a lot. No student has been hurt by red shirting.

Luckily for orange nation, BJ has a father who has played college basketball. He knows you have to earn your time. I'm sure BJ's in a good, encouraging mindset...as well as in good hands. If BJ ever gets down on himself, he should know that all of orange nation is behind him and believes in him. He hasn't disappointed us. We're not UK, we don't need a 17-18 year old to come in and light up the boards. BJ is doing what he needs to do as a non red shirted frosh. He's gaining experience, each minute on the floor is precious. Doesn't matter if you miss a shot, Cooney missed plenty last year and look at him now.

imo this Orange team is one of the most encouragingly good we've had in years.

Edit: I'm not trying to bash or argue with you at all dasher, just putting my thoughts out.

Luckily for orange nation, BJ has a father who has played college basketball. He knows you have to earn your time. I'm sure BJ's in a good, encouraging mindset...as well as in good hands. If BJ ever gets down on himself, he should know that all of orange nation is behind him and believes in him. He hasn't disappointed us. We're not UK, we don't need a 17-18 year old to come in and light up the boards. BJ is doing what he needs to do as a non red shirted frosh. He's gaining experience, each minute on the floor is precious. Doesn't matter if you miss a shot, Cooney missed plenty last year and look at him now.

imo this Orange team is one of the most encouragingly good we've had in years.

Edit: I'm not trying to bash or argue with you at all dasher, just putting my thoughts out.
we're cool

the only reason people are worrying is because those same people incredibly thought we would play 4 frosh and go 11 deep.

the rational people arent worried.
Who said that? Also a comment like " the rational people aren't worried" , that really sounds far from arrogant or should I say condescending?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom