Double byes suck | Syracusefan.com

Double byes suck

Timonen

All Conference
I felt this is the big east and it's more apparent than ever today. Perception is we lost in the first round instead of doing the equivalent of winning two before losing, even though that's the reality of it. We'll never get credit for those two wins like we should.

Timonen said:
I felt this is the big east and it's more apparent than ever today. Perception is we lost in the first round instead of doing the equivalent of winning two before losing, even though that's the reality of it. We'll never get credit for those two wins like we should.

Would we have had two wins out of it though?

Would we have had two wins out of it though?
Different question. Who the heck knows. We passed out of first and second level Spanish in college because of our stellar high school work but failed third level. I woulda rather taken beginning Spanish for the likelihood of a confidence boost and positive perceptions.

Not confident that we would have beaten a BC or a GT if we played them again the way we're playing.

As much as I don't want to make any excuses, UNC looked awful and Duke almost/should have lost.

Could be something to it. UVA is all Cinderella season, omg were actually good mode, they don't know any better.

This is stupid logic...if we had to play round 1 and 2 that means we finished below 9th in ACC and most likely need to win the whole tournament to get an automatic berth in tourney.

This is stupid logic...if we had to play round 1 and 2 that means we finished below 9th in ACC and most likely need to win the whole tournament to get an automatic berth in tourney.
Point is, the double bye is (in effect) two wins, but those wins aren't added to our resume as a positive. Conversely, teams that get to play to bottom feeders have a chance to strengthen their resume. Our tournament should be viewed as 2-1. Instead it's 0-1.

We wouldn't have got two extra wins. If you get rid of the double bye, the tourney would be four rounds - so one extra win. I guess with 4 rounds, Virginia gets a bye, and we play Virginia Tech in the first round.

That win does nothing for your resume or your seed... it may make us feel a little better as fans IF we beat them handily.

Love Baye but hate double byes.

DCG62.jpg

the double buy works best for high seeded teams that play aggressive defense. much easier to get into the flow from the D in..

Point is, the double bye is (in effect) two wins, but those wins aren't added to our resume as a positive. Conversely, teams that get to play to bottom feeders have a chance to strengthen their resume. Our tournament should be viewed as 2-1. Instead it's 0-1.

Beating Virginia Tech does absolutely nothing for your resume whether you are a bubble team or a top 4 seed.

It's more of a nuisance if anything.
1) A win over sub 100 RPI does nothing for your resume
2) If you lose it ends up hurting you
3) You risk injury and get more fatigue from playing an extra game.

So the game has risk, and has zero reward.

Beating Virginia Tech does absolutely nothing for your resume whether you are a bubble team or a top 4 seed.

It's more of a nuisance if anything.
1) A win over sub 100 RPI does nothing for your resume
2) If you lose it ends up hurting you
3) You risk injury and get more fatigue from playing an extra game.

So the game has risk, and has zero reward.
Maybe I'm nuts but I really don't think so. We're fighting for seeding and will be right on the middle of 3/4. 2 more wins could sway that. They would hold us steady at our pre conf tourney placement instead of us getting knocked down. Either give us the opportunity to GET those wins, or formally count our byes AS wins, since we earned them throughout the season.

When it's all said and done, there will be a real argument to make that Pitino is the greatest college basketball coach of all time. As great as JB is, he is nowhere near that conversation.

No question.

HarrisonJBounel said:
Rare photo of BMK actually on his feet against an opponent.

And his hands up. The only time I see his hands in the air is when he's begging for the ball after a pick that drew a double team to our ball handler. Kudos to our ball handlers for not taking the bait and passing him the ball without a defender 6 feet close to him.

Maybe I'm nuts but I really don't think so. We're fighting for seeding and will be right on the middle of 3/4. 2 more wins could sway that. They would hold us steady at our pre conf tourney placement instead of us getting knocked down. Either give us the opportunity to GET those wins, or formally count our byes AS wins, since we earned them throughout the season.

As I said before, we are not getting 2 more wins if we eliminate the double bye. It becomes a 4 round tourney.

We would have got 1 extra win. Against RPI #247.

Last edited:
Would you trade our situation with Miami. They had a chance at those two extra wins.

The only way you can take advantage of the double bye in the ACC is if you were in 10th place or worse. And those 2 wins may help you get to the CBI.

Not one team conteding for a top 4 seed in the country is playing more than 3 games this weekend.

Would you trade our situation with Miami. They had a chance at those two extra wins.

The only way you can take advantage of the double bye in the ACC is if you were in 10th place or worse. And those 2 wins may help you get to the CBI.

Not one team conteding for a top 4 seed in the country is playing more than 3 games this weekend.
Obviously I wouldn't choose to be lower. I would just change the structure to formally reward the bye, which should hold the value of a win. We'd feel better about ourselves and the committee would think differently about us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom