Double digit leads, and other random thoughts.. | Syracusefan.com

Double digit leads, and other random thoughts..

samspann1

Living Legend
1. I'm not in the mood to look it up now, but how many 2nd half double-digit leads has SU given up over the past 20 seasons? FWIW, that's 2 games in a row. How many 2nd half double-digit deficits has SU overcome over that stretch?

2. The practice of letting your opponent roll the ball up court, thereby preserving time, is sheer idiocy, IMHO. It's particularly strange when you consider that one of the staples of the SU offense, with a late lead, is the stall ball offense.

3. McCullough may have the measurables, and may look like a great basketball, but what is it that he does well on the court?

4. As well as Gbinije played in the first half, he was equally bad in the last 25:00. He's not a good decision-maker, and I question his hoops IQ. And his FT shooting...ugh.

5. Nice showing by Roberson. I think that the kid will be a player.

6. Aside from his propensity to pick up the dribble, I thought that KJ was solid.

7. The refs...LOL. Travels, fouls, three second calls...just brutal. I would love to see some of the resident ref apologists share their thoughts.

1. I'm not in the mood to look it up now, but how many 2nd half double-digit leads has SU given up over the past 20 seasons? FWIW, that's 2 games in a row. How many 2nd half double-digit deficits has SU overcome over that stretch?

2. The practice of letting your opponent roll the ball up court, thereby preserving time, is sheer idiocy, IMHO. It's particularly strange when you consider that one of the staples of the SU offense, with a late lead, is the stall ball offense.

3. McCullough may have the measurables, and may look like a great basketball, but what is it that he does well on the court?

4. As well as Gbinije played in the first half, he was equally bad in the last 25:00. He's not a good decision-maker, and I question his hoops IQ. And his FT shooting...ugh.

5. Nice showing by Roberson. I think that the kid will be a player.

6. Aside from his propensity to pick up the dribble, I thought that KJ was solid.

7. The refs...LOL. Travels, fouls, three second calls...just brutal. I would love to see some of the resident ref apologists share their thoughts.

Yeah, through the first 10 minutes I was almost giddy seeing G look so good. His first half was exceptional. I thought (as you did) that he followed that up by being absolutely awful in the second half.

My opinion on Joseph was similar - he did have a few bright spots in the second half, but was very weak with the ball at times, and needs to stop picking up his dribble. Also, that final drive to the hoop - ugh. Going up right handed I would block that 10 out of 10 times, he has to know that and adjust.

Roberson looked good. Better than McC, who had a very poor outing. I was somewhat surprised he was a no-show.

Refs...well, we got 18 other threads to discuss their idiocy.

I posted this after the Nova game. OTOH, we pissed away a 10+ point lead in the 2nd half against Iowa, and against VT (lol), we were a missed Wilson layup away (the corner 3 at the buzzer would have obviously done the trick as well) from blowing a 19-pt halftime lead.

This issue is not specific to this year's team - it's been an issue for years now. And we don't seem to overcome many 2nd half double digit deficits, either.

We don't see many second half double digit deficits. We've won over 80% of our games in the last 5 years. How many times have we lost by double digits? Maybe 5? I bet we've won by double digjts a lot more than 5 times. Of course teams are going to come back at times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom