Doug has lost the team | Syracusefan.com

Doug has lost the team

kcsu

Living Legend
I posted this a few weeks back and spoke about issues on the team. The simple fact is that Doug has lost the team. He is too old school for a very young team. His message is falling on deaf ears at this point. He shows little if no emotion and his team looks like zombies. The fact that he doesnt play the best players and places so much weight on practice vs gamers isnt lost on the players. Doug needs to pull the stick out of his arse and lighten up.

Repeating what i posted a few weeks ago in order he needs to do the following.

Retain Shaffer at all cost. I know many will gripe but without Shaffer we are lost.

Fire or demote Hack and bring in the best OC money can buy.

Hire a proven special teams coach.

Play the best players.

Pull the stick out of his arse.

You might need to talk to some folks on the hill about that one, or rephrase your statement to "the best OC some spare change can buy."

To replace whom? Seriously, who do we can to open up that spot?

When you say play the best players- who is sitting that should be playing?

The fact that he doesnt play the best players and places so much weight on practice vs gamers isnt lost on the players.

Is this really a fact or just your opinion?

Who are the "gamers" on this team that you feel aren't being played enough?

Is this really a fact or just your opinion?

Who are the "gamers" on this team that you feel aren't being played enough?
obviously, we don't know about this year. But, we do know that Marrone kept Sales in the dog house last year when he clearly was a gamer.

No offense, but I tend to find the whole "lost the team" thing to be bullsh!t.

SU is losing because our players aren't good enough, and neither is our coaching.

I mean, when exactly did Marrone lose the team. Before USC? Rutgers? Louisville? UConn?

If the team wasn't lost would we be 9-2 now?

Listen you can keep beating the drum as long as you like but the fact is that Doug has lost this team. To be specific they lost them at UConn. As to players who should be seeing more time start with the RB's and yes with Nassib. Not sure the team is 100% behind Ryan. The entire O is a mess and not just on the field.

These players quit its obvious to anyone who knows football. They play with no fire. They make the same mistakes over and over. They are going through the motions.

Don't know why they quit, but they have quit. Not saying they quit because of Doug but something happened and they quit giving top effort.

Listen you can keep beating the drum as long as you like but the fact is that Doug has lost this team. To be specific they lost them at UConn. As to players who should be seeing more time start with the RB's and yes with Nassib. Not sure the team is 100% behind Ryan. The entire O is a mess and not just on the field.
Talked to a former player after the game and he agrees Doug has lost the team. Talk amongst the former players that Doug needs to rethink his approach because he is trying to instill a philosphy from the 1980's when he player for Mac into a different genersation of athletes.

Shafer is our best coach

You mean he is 1 of the coaches in a stable of bad ones? I'm sure you can't imply that there is a "best" coach on this team, can you?

As to players who should be seeing more time start with the RB's and yes with Nassib.

Just last month you were so unimpressed with Smith and AAM that you were crying for Marrone to bring in a stud JUCO RB.

All of a sudden you think Smith and AAM are the two best kids on the team. Right after Bailey went off for 135.

Sure.

I posted this a few weeks back and spoke about issues on the team. The simple fact is that Doug has lost the team. He is too old school for a very young team. His message is falling on deaf ears at this point. He shows little if no emotion and his team looks like zombies. The fact that he doesnt play the best players and places so much weight on practice vs gamers isnt lost on the players. Doug needs to pull the stick out of his arse and lighten up.

Repeating what i posted a few weeks ago in order he needs to do the following.

Retain Shaffer at all cost. I know many will gripe but without Shaffer we are lost.

Play the best players.

Pull the stick out of his arse.

Which best players are not playing?

Talked to a former player after the game and he agrees Doug has lost the team. Talk amongst the former players that Doug needs to rethink his approach because he is trying to instill a philosphy from the 1980's when he player for Mac into a different genersation of athletes.

What is the difference between the 80s student athlete and today's student athlete? What football philosphy should a su head coach be disseminating?

Do we really need to get into how this generation of kids/athletes have been raised by their parents compared to how kids were raised in the early 1980's when Marrone was in college.

Just last month you were so unimpressed with Smith and AAM that you were crying for Marrone to bring in a stud JUCO RB.

All of a sudden you think Smith and AAM are the two best kids on the team. Right after Bailey went off for 135.

Sure.
get your facts straight. I posted that we need more RB's because next year we have two returning players at the position not counting Gulley who im not sure can make it through a season. Baily is gone next year and is not an every down back. he went off for empty yards big deal

Do we really need to get into how this generation of kids/athletes have been raised by their parents compared to how kids were raised in the early 1980's when Marrone was in college.

Oy. I think Marrone is 10 years older than me. I'm 38. "Kids today" aren't all that much different than when I was a kid. My wife's been teaching middle school for 15 years, and kids are pretty much the same in their demeanor.

Go back X years...10, 20, 50... and you'll hear people bitching about "kids today".

Basically, my guess is that its not that Marrone's methods won't work on "kids today"...it's that they probably wouldn't work ever. Assuming that's the problem.

Oy. I think Marrone is 10 years older than me. I'm 38. "Kids today" aren't all that much different than when I was a kid. My wife's been teaching middle school for 15 years, and kids are pretty much the same in their demeanor.

Go back X years...10, 20, 50... and you'll hear people bitching about "kids today".

Basically, my guess is that its not that Marrone's methods won't work on "kids today"...it's that they probably wouldn't work ever. Assuming that's the problem.

Disagree. Kids today live in a instant gratification world. They don't want to put in the hard work. Technology has made kids lazy and have ADD.

Disagree. Kids today live in a instant gratification world. They don't want to put in the hard work. Technology has made kids lazy and have ADD.

How much interaction do you have with kids? I have them, interact with others all the time, and hire them out of school. There are a ton who work their assess off. Their have been lazy kids forever too.

Every single kid on the team probably works harder than you, all things considered.

Think on that.

Agree with you here -- this generation is generally lazier than the previous, our generation (early 30s) was lazier than the one before. Completely different world.

Yes, I'm not exactly bullish on America and Yes, I like to generalize.

Both of you make valid points.

Kids today do live in an instant gratification world. But a D1 player doesn't become a D1 player without putting in the hours of work. I tend to agree with Scooch that kids are kids are kids. There were lazy stuffs in the 50's and hard workers in the 70's.

I will say that kids today are weary of bullstuff much sooner than the kids back in the day. With the amount of information available to them, kids today are much smarter. If they see the system is broken, it won't take a whole lot for a player to lose faith in that system.

get your facts straight. I posted that we need more RB's because next year we have two returning players at the position not counting Gulley who im not sure can make it through a season. Baily is gone next year and is not an every down back. he went off for empty yards big deal
Anyone who doesn't appreciate what Bailey did today is not much of a fan. Without a lot of help, with few other threats on the team, when everyone on Cincy knows he is getting the ball, Bailey ran for 135 tough yards! Kid never gave up.
I wish he didn't have to be an every down back -- big weakness on this team is the lack of any other effective runner. But never, never minimize what Bailey has accomplished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom