Doug Marrone’s impact on Syracuse still felt | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone’s impact on Syracuse still felt

How soon after Marrone left was there suddenly funds available? If my memory serves me correct, I believe it was announced during Shafer's first year or shortly thereafter and went up relatively in no time afterwards.

I'll remain with the position that the prior administration's gross negligence in raising funds, building infrastructure, etc. to that point in time was the overbearing crux to SU's fall from grace, more so than anything else.
i will add dating back through Several chancellors as well.

the administration blew it and it blew it before marone as well. their lack of investment in the program cost ben s his job. su has the worst administrative history in the ncaa when it comes to supporting sports. hell they had no choice but to build the dome or vanish from d1 football. then while we were on a roll, they did not reinvest in facilities etc etc etc ---we are always a day late and a dollar short. now we except babers as the savior, seriously you want to extend him now????? i dare say none of us would still have our jobs given that performance let alone a bonus.

the administration blew it and it blew it before marone as well. their lack of investment in the program cost ben s his job. su has the worst administrative history in the ncaa when it comes to supporting sports. hell they had no choice but to build the dome or vanish from d1 football. then while we were on a roll, they did not reinvest in facilities etc etc etc ---we are always a day late and a dollar short. now we except babers as the savior, seriously you want to extend him now????? i dare say none of us would still have our jobs given that performance let alone a bonus.

exaggerate much. Geeze. University has made some mistakes but certainly doesn’t have all the $ to throw around to compete with larger public universities and nobody believes Bahers is our savior. Calm down

the problem is and has always been big time college football has big time boosters. Go find some

Last edited:
exaggerate much. Geeze. University has made some mistakes but certainly doesn’t have all the $ to throw around to compete with larger public universities and nobody believes Bahers is our savior. Calm down

the problem is and has always been big time college football has big time boosters. Go find some
they threw virtually nothing to football and facilties--- archbold stood as monument to their ineptness . you r right about big time schools, you are wrong about the rest

they threw virtually nothing to football and facilties--- archbold stood as monument to their ineptness . you r right about big time schools, you are wrong about the rest

dude it is 2023 and you are still referencing the 70's, get over it. My god.

They then built a dome which jumpstarted the best run Syracuse football ever had and quite frankly who cares anymore? It was 45 freaking years ago, get over it

Marrone took a HC job at the highest level of the profession for 4-5 x the money as anyone would and that is why he left, again get over it.

Mediocre/Fine coach who didn't love recruiting and ran too tight a ship is 100% a disaster in the portal era. Grateful for what he did while here, but it's largely been reimagined as amazeballs when it was as meh as anyone else post-P.

Dino has done stuff Marrone never did, while Dino has done most of the stuff he did. Both are fine.

dude it is 2023 and you are still referencing the 70's, get over it. My god.

They then built a dome which jumpstarted the best run Syracuse football ever had and quite frankly who cares anymore? It was 45 freaking years ago, get over it

Marrone took a HC job at the highest level of the profession for 4-5 x the money as anyone would and that is why he left, again get over it.

Keeping emotion out of it, when one constructively critiques past stewardship of Syracuse University, specifically as it pertains to sporting infrastructure, etc., there's certainly a track record of, let's just say, lack of foresight from its leaders.

The Dome was built only after the university was advised/threatened they'd lose D1 status otherwise.

Many of today's infrastructure, facility, etc. improvements are great, however, they are still more reactionary, keeping up type/lagging, etc. Although, just not as much of a laggard nowadays, comparatively speaking.

I don’t know many coaches that would say no to the nfl for a first time gig. It’s one thing for a Saban or Kelly to say no if offered a second time because they know how tough it is. But to say no thank you when offered an NFL job when you have never had the opportunity is a hard thing to say no to. Recruiting is not for everyone, and it clearly wasn’t for Doug. Pretty well documented on this board how much he hated recruiting.
Saban and Kelly both struggle mightily with a salary cap.

Yeah he was a no-nonsense guy, everyone knew that back then. In worked in some aspects, except even during his tenure we were a heavily penalized team (ex: 9th most penalized team in 2012)
And it isn't like we didn't have any off-field problems under Marrone. I believe the Mike Williams speeding and gambling problems continued, we had the Marcus Sales drug stop incident, Delone Carter sent the wrong guy to the hospital over a snowball hitting his car, I'm probably forgetting something else.
He was fine as a coach. He never seemed comfortable and he left for greener pastures. There are a lot of guys who prefer coaching the pros because the coach isn't responsible for off the field issues. They only have to coach.

Am I misremembering or wasn't it known that he was planning to leave after 2011 but after the collapse he stayed another year?

He came here to stabilize the program and then once achieved return to the NFL. He never had plans to stay long term. Which had an impact on his lack of interest in recruiting. Ironically he destabilized the program by taking Hackett along with him.

The program was the worst in the P5 when he took over and he brought respectability back, I am grateful for that. However, he is a nomad, he isn’t happy anywhere and we don’t need him back and he would never come back

The program was the worst in the P5 when he took over and he brought respectability back, I am grateful for that. However, he is a nomad, he isn’t happy anywhere and we don’t need him back and he would never come back

yep modern day football coach, follows the money as most do and he has made a ton of it. Pretty cut and dry. He got paid a ton when he left Buffalo as well and I am sure the Saints O line job pays him well too.

Now as he gets older I would have to imagine Doug is probably OK finishing his career as O line coach in the NFL unless a better opportunity presents itself. Nothing wrong with that and he's been out of Syracuse for 10 years now.

Time to move on

Marrone’s agent was brilliant with that out clause that he got when Ralph Wilson died. Couldn’t blame him with Doug Whaley picking the players. EJ Manuel was the QB picked. One of the worst draft picks in nfl history and I remember Marrone arguing with Whaley openly during preseason camp.

The longer I am on this planet it is more apparent to me that it is about the jimmys and the joes and not the x and os. Marrone can coach but has been saddled with mediocre QBs in Jacksonville and Buffalo. When he had a good college QB in Nassab he won. Dino won when he had a good college qb. The recruiting is huge and if Doug’s binders didn’t produce any good players he would not have won here or anywhere.
Marrone was a great coach for Syracuse University - he changed the trajectory of the program instantly.

It is a shame he left - for him and for the University.

Last edited:
I wonder who will wind up having made more money from 2013 to whenever the first one retires - Marrone or Babers. If Dino is successful and stays for another 5 years, it might be him.
i have to think if Marrone had stayed we might be paying him more than Dino.
Interesting.

I wonder what could have been if doc Hollywood had exited and marrone had a hand in picking the next a.d. like dino did when Coyle split town.

It borders on the bizarre the desire and frequency to rehash Marrones time here. It's like Groundhog day. You would think the guy spent 30 years coaching at Syracuse.
what really borders on the bizarre is our looooooong history of being baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad AND we accept it. marone was the only bright spot in many years ---oh yea 1 year under babers. so do not extend him this year. if he leaves so be it.

what really borders on the bizarre is our looooooong history of being baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad AND we accept it. marone was the only bright spot in many years ---oh yea 1 year under babers. so do not extend him this year. if he leaves so be it.

2 years under Babers. Wildhack expectations not mine. I am surprised that people don't pick at Marrone's recruiting more, the backbone of the 2012 team were all GROB recruits, just saying. I thought Marrone was very good and wished he stayed but some get carried away.

That's kind of an interesting post from someone who falls over himself complimenting Rutgers at every opportunity.

I wonder who will wind up having made more money from 2013 to whenever the first one retires - Marrone or Babers. If Dino is successful and stays for another 5 years, it might be him.
i have to think if Marrone had stayed we might be paying him more than Dino.
Interesting.
I have to believe that had he stayed, Marrone would have ended up earning more with Syracuse University.

2 years under Babers. Wildhack expectations not mine. I am surprised that people don't pick at Marrone's recruiting more, the backbone of the 2012 team were all GROB recruits, just saying. I thought Marrone was very good and wished he stayed but some get carried away.

There seems to be two parallel universe viewpoints on Dino Babers.

For those who decided prior to this past year that Babers needs to be replaced because he can't recruit, he can't coach, 2018 was a fluke due to Dungey, and this year's hot start was an anomaly -- the 2nd half of the season affirms what they already believe.

The other viewpoint is that Babers actually recruits pretty well despite what the rankings say, that he excels as a CEO-type coach, that he's gotten good coordinators in place on both sides of the ball, and while the ending of this season was disappointing, our success / personnel can be a springboard to bowl eligibility next year, that the portal can be utilized to elevate / enhance the overall talent level, and that the QB room looks poised to sustain that success over several seasons -- which will in turn lead to a slight uptick in the level of recruits we land -- because success begats success.

And based upon the posts, neither side can fathom why the other side believes what they do.

Last edited:
That's kind of an interesting post from someone who falls over himself complimenting Rutgers at every opportunity.
you always fall back to that--- it pleases me to know that. by the way how about that pikiell.

i did not mean you personally . i should have said many of us .

There were some key pieces but there were few Robinson players even if you include the four Robinson offers Marrone kept in his first class.