Doug needs 2 more years | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Doug needs 2 more years

I don't think they are good reasons either. But that's why many people here were lauding Marrone's decision to bring him in when he did. Oh, can't forget the more recent "we can't get rid of him because we may lose Zach Allen" :rolleyes:

We might lose Zack Allen if this crap continues the rest of the season. This certainly does not look like the O that was advertised.

After calming down after yesterday's collapse I think Doug should be given at least 2 more seasons. We're not getting blown out like Pasqualoni's teams or never having a chance like Robinson's. These are winnable games that he's put us in position to compete in, we're close and its not as a far as it seemed yesterday. If Rutgers is that much better I really didn't see it, and I've seen 4 of their games.

Gross should give him an extension today to secure recruiting and also suggest make it dependent on some changes within the program, like...

1. Hire a special teams coach that has recruiting ties to the tri-state area
2. Take away play calling duties from Hackett or replace him with Wheatley if he threatens to quit
3. Doug needs to stop wearing a headset and being overwhelmed, manage the game and motivate players like Mac did. Let the coordinators call the plays (not Hackett obviously).
Fixed

As much as I've been ranting and raving that I'm frustrated with the coaching, I don't want Doug fired. I think if that happens, we lose any inroads we've made in recruiting, and I think we've made many. I don't think this is a lost cause.

1. I don't know what has to be done on a daily basis in practice to stop the gameday penalty and turnover mistakes, but that needs to be figured out.

2. Broyld needs to be in the game in a slash role that has him catching and throwing the ball in addition to handing it off to him. I would like to see 15 touches, none from the wildcat (I refuse to call it the stallion).

3. AAM needs to be used more. Smith pretty much only runs straight ahead, why not let AAM run some people over out of the spread when it's a bunch of little DB's in the game.

4. Hire a special teams guy that has a proven history of good special teams.

There's no gaurantee we'll get a good coach if we get rid of Doug and the whole staff. If we get anyone with any kind of a name, I'm afraid they'll just use us as a stepping stone. Addazio could be an option, but do we know if he's an upgrade? He was an assistant on a National Championship Florida team, but many Florida fans blamed him for the offensive woes Florida had before Meyer left. He became the offensive coordinator when Dan Mullen left, and Mullen received much of the credit for Florda's offense during their NC's.

I think we have more talent in the pipeline and if the coaching staff can clean up the stupid mistakes we'll be a solid team that we can be proud of. I'm afraid if we fire Doug now, we're throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

We might lose Zack Allen if this crap continues the rest of the season. This certainly does not look like the O that was advertised.
Hopefully Zack Allen recognizes this offense could be so much better with a quarterback that isn't a robot.

The decision to keep Marrone if you don't make a bowl this year is..
1 bowl game since 2009, the program has only been to 1 bowl game since 2005. If you settle for mediocrity then fine, but I want to become a better program than we are. If I were grading Doug Marrone I would give him the following grades
2009- C+ 2.33 GPA
2010- B+ 3.33 GPA(only cause we needed a bowl badly)
2011- C- 1.67 GPA
2012 so far- D 1.00 GPA if we finish above 4-8 I would upgrade this to a C-
total GPA- 2.0825 which is a C. If you think getting a C in 4 years is enough to get an extension, then I would have loved to have you as a professor.

for recruiting purposes a change right now would be bad as we would lose everything we have made up since grob era and would be starting over. if we finish poorly the rest of the way id reconsider but i think we will win some games

This is like deciding whether or not giving Gump a 4th year was a good thing. You don't continue to invest in failure. Ever.

The idea that we may have another 1-2 losing seasons with a new staff is laughable. What the heyl have we been witnessing ? Why do we think there will somehow be a miracle turn around next year ?

If your car's been getting 20mpg on every tank for the last 4 years believeing you're magically going to get 31mpg on the next tank of gas is nuts.

think we'll have a faster team next year to be honest... either allen or hunt at QB, broyld be a spoh, edwards/smith/gulley at rb. Funderburke at WR with Thompson at TE. Like where our O is going.

This is like deciding whether or not giving Gump a 4th year was a good thing. You don't continue to invest in failure. Ever.

The idea that we may have another 1-2 losing seasons with a new staff is laughable. What the heyl have we been witnessing ? Why do we think there will somehow be a miracle turn around next year ?

If your car's been getting 20mpg on every tank for the last 4 years believeing you're magically going to get 31mpg on the next tank of gas is nuts.

Classic. It's not a miracle if they are close now. You can make the case - easily - that a better TO margin and we've won every game but USC.

Sometimes, you stay the course. See Coughlin and the Giants. Shady at RU. Coach Mac here.

Classic. It's not a miracle if they are close now. You can make the case - easily - that a better TO margin and we've won every game but USC.

Sometimes, you stay the course. See Coughlin and the Giants. Shady at RU. Coach Mac here.

Coughlin and Mac had prior success as HCs.

Shady was killing it in recruiting. That being said he probably should have been fired and may have been fired if he hadn't been given a crazy contract.

Please explain how Marrone is similar to any of those guys?

This is what scares me and I got into a debate about it pre-season. We are simply lacking playmakers, on both sides if the ball.

I'd say Shamarko is our only playmaker.

We have average talent at RB and WR. And below average at QB (talking about next year).

On defense, average LBs and DLINE.

I just don't see how next year can be better. It's ing depressing.

What young players on this team get you excited about the future?

Coughlin and Mac had prior success as HCs.

Shady was killing it in recruiting. That being said he probably should have been fired and may have been fired if he hadn't been given a crazy contract.

Please explain how Marrone is similar to any of those guys?

Everyone was crapping on them, and outside of Shady - they all strive to do it he right way. By all accounts, Marrone has done it the right way and they are close to breaking through. The losses have been maddening only because they have been close losses.

If you want to fire a guy who bleeds orange, has off the charts character, and is well respected by his players, the administration - go ahead - but you better have more to go on than what we've seen so far. If they don't win another game this year, lets talk. Until then, enough with the bed wetting.

Everyone was crapping on them, and outside of Shady - they all strive to do it he right way. By all accounts, Marrone has done it the right way and they are close to breaking through. The losses have been maddening only because they have been close losses.

If you want to fire a guy who bleeds orange, has off the charts character, and is well respected by his players, the administration - go ahead - but you better have more to go on than what we've seen so far. If they don't win another game this year, lets talk. Until then, enough with the bed wetting.

Again all of those guys had a track record of success. There was a reason to keep them. The only reason you gave for Marrone is that he bleeds Orange. That is a silly reason to keep a HC. 85% of HC's do things the right way, so no brownie points there. His job is to win games and improve the program. He is doing neither. We are not getting better, we are getting worse. We are not a well coached team. The talent is not improving. Every year we get worse as the year goes on. We have 32 points on O the last three games. You think that is close to breaking through? Why does Marrone deserve another year? Because he is an SU guy? That is a dumb reason to keep him.

Okay Mrs. Marrone. I don't care if the guy bleeds Orange or not he is not getting the job done. He has shown NO RECRUITING CHOPS, his teams make the same undisciplined mistakes EACH and EVERY game. This team is not improving after 4 years every game is like Groundhog Day, but continue making excuses. I want DM to succeed but take the blinders off he is not getting the job and has not improved the team enough to win games. Somebody said it right don't care DM to GROB. GROB was a chitshow of epic proportions DM has to be compared to other coaches nation wide. 4-8, 8-5, 5-7, 2-4 he isn't improving and I am sorry he if he doesn't win 5 games he needs to be relieved of his job.

If I were AD I would entertain giving Doug a One Year extension but he would have to:

1) finish the 2nd half of the season better than we started (assuming we fix the turnovers)and;
2) show me a plan to address
-Special Teams with a coaching plan that doesn't involve him coaching them. Would have to switch one of the redundant defensive coaches or let one go.
-Developing a long-term and contingency plan for the QB position. If Nassib went down tomorrow where would we go? Need to get other guys some reps.
-Taking the next step to compete in the ACC- be it upgrading assistant coaches, focusing on new recruiting areas, etc.

Not true. I said he is trying to do it the right way and he is a Cuse guy. That buys him more time.

Sorry to disturb the gnashing of teeth around here with actual hope. There has been improvement this year. It hasn't shown up in w/l - but near everywhere else outside is special teams and TO margin. I'm with you that it needs to translate to wins - but honestly, just last week people were happy with the win over Pitt. If our players had the outlook of our fans, we'd never win another game and should just quit playing football.

Not true. I said he is trying to do it the right way and he is a Cuse guy. That buys him more time.

Sorry to disturb the gnashing of teeth around here with actual hope. There has been improvement this year. It hasn't shown up in w/l - but near everywhere else outside is special teams and TO margin. I'm with you that it needs to translate to wins - but honestly, just last week people were happy with the win over Pitt. If our players had the outlook of our fans, we'd never win another game and should just quit playing football.

You're 100% right. We seem to be a dying breed around here. I guess it's to be expected after the frustration of the Minnesota and Rutgers losses. But we are close. We have a good defense and a pretty decent offense. It needs to translate into wins. He's got 6 games to prove he can clean it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom