Douger and the Bunker V1.1 | Syracusefan.com

Douger and the Bunker V1.1

kcsu

Living Legend
I think that Doug has realized that he was moving away from his strength which is coaching practice/teaching. He may feel that with such a young team and so many new important players to integrate into key roles that he is the one who needs to clear the decks of distractions not so much the players but rather him and the other coaches. RB, Second string QB, 2 possibly 3 new OL starters, 2 possible new WR starters, 2 new DE's, Depth at LB, New starting TE, New starting FB, 1 new corner, 1 new saftey, Re tool the entire special teams approach, Two new assistant coaches and 8 kids who are significant starters or on the 2 deep out this spring. Closing practice may be as simple as Doug realizing that he is spread too thin that he needs to do less administrative CEO type duties this spring and more hands on. The Bunkers depth may know no end this spring as the Douger does his best to climb his way out the darkness of last years finish.

Probably right -- felt the need to reduce distractions and scrutiny during the early sessions of practices. The screens come down this Saturday in Rochester -- looking forward to good reports.

The open spots & retooling etc this Spring aren't much different than Doug has faced in past seasons (maybe a few more players out after surgery). Or than most collegiate teams face every year with graduation, injuries, or an occasional suspension, or a couple of new assistant coaches.

Seems more a change in approach, rather than something driven by particular challenges of this team at this moment.

While that may be true, the lack of excitement for this football program is staggering. It's bad enough our style of play is extremely vanilla and bland, but now to shun the people who are still behind the program and get excited for practice reports, spring football etc.. probably isn't the best move.

I don't want to hear that this is a strategic move, we just don't have the talent on the roster that will surprise anybody on the schedule with whatever "wrinkles" they might be working on.

He's trying to install an offense that will catch USC off guard. Because...you know...we scare USC so much, they'd actually care about what offense we install.

Taking a more positive viewpoint, it is a case of gratification delayed. There will be lots of stories (and chat reports) after the scrimmage this Saturday in Rochester. Likely to be a way more useful than anything that might have come out of open practices in the first two weeks -- and I say that as someone who wanted those early reports.

As for the lack of excitement around the program -- it is true, but hard to change how the season ended or the sense that 2011-12 recruiting was marginally better but nothing dramatic. Provide a good show in Rochester, get visits from a star RB and WR, maybe we get a little excitement?

I think that Doug has realized that he was moving away from his strength which is coaching practice/teaching. He may feel that with such a young team and so many new important players to integrate into key roles that he is the one who needs to clear the decks of distractions not so much the players but rather him and the other coaches. RB, Second string QB, 2 possibly 3 new OL starters, 2 possible new WR starters, 2 new DE's, Depth at LB, New starting TE, New starting FB, 1 new corner, 1 new saftey, Re tool the entire special teams approach, Two new assistant coaches and 8 kids who are significant starters or on the 2 deep out this spring. Closing practice may be as simple as Doug realizing that he is spread too thin that he needs to do less administrative CEO type duties this spring and more hands on. The Bunkers depth may know no end this spring as the Douger does his best to climb his way out the darkness of last years finish.

Fair point, but I think sometimes Dougie get too much blame in this. Yes, he's the CEO, and fans want to hear from them. But in his absence, there are still things the program can do to leverage spring practices/the spring game to build a wee bit of buzz.

I could really give a royal $#|? about spring practice & depth charts - if what he is doing leads to winning and bowling - I'm all in.

Because every program tries to distance themselves from the fanbase (when they can't afford to) and in some cases disenfranchises them. Whether it be no recruiting event, no depth chart, closed spring practice to the fans, no media report, etc, etc, not one of those decisions will add a single win in the fall. Not one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Honestly, this doesn't bode well for the upcoming season. He already seemed too uptight and rigid. This kind of screams more of the same. This ain't the NY Giants. How much scrutiny would he receive from the local media ? It's like he's undercutting the desire to get people engaged and behind the program again, in order to allow him more time to work with the kids. Or maybe he thinks we are going to be significantly worse than last year's collapse if he doesn't do something about it. Hope this kind of thing doesn't impact attendance too much in the new season.

The more time goes on, the more I think Marrone is not going to wind up being our long term answer as head coach. Really sucks, because on paper he's got everything we're looking for. Alumnus, really good coaching experience, from the tri-state area which helps for recruiting purposes. We really need to turn the corner this year, or he's going to start getting heat from the national media, and Doc Gross can't help but pay attention.

Probably right -- felt the need to reduce distractions and scrutiny during the early sessions of practices. The screens come down this Saturday in Rochester -- looking forward to good reports.

The open spots & retooling etc this Spring aren't much different than Doug has faced in past seasons (maybe a few more players out after surgery). Or than most collegiate teams face every year with graduation, injuries, or an occasional suspension, or a couple of new assistant coaches.

Seems more a change in approach, rather than something driven by particular challenges of this team at this moment.

Reviews of spring practices (except for injury reports) almost always are upbeat - just like spring training reports are in baseball. It's all about hope, getting to know the players who are stepping into new roles for the upcoming season, etc. He's just too uptight with how he runs the program.

Honestly, I'm getting to the point where I couldn't give a stuff anymore. 15 years is long enough. I'm tired of rooting for a perennial loser.

Judging by their actions, SU is looking to distance itself from its fanbase. I may as well give em what they want.

Because every program tries to distance themselves from the fanbase (when they can't afford to) and in some cases disenfranchises them. Whether it be no recruiting event, no depth chart, closed spring practice to the fans, no media report, etc, etc, not one of those decisions will add a single win in the fall. Not one.

But maybe that's exactly why he is not doing those things. If it doesn't help get Ws, why bother?

I don't want to hear that this is a strategic move, we just don't have the talent on the roster that will surprise anybody on the schedule with whatever "wrinkles" they might be working on.

I don't think it has anything to do with stategery. If he has cleaned the slate regarding starting positions, I believe he just wants to eliminate distractions for the players.

Honestly, this doesn't bode well for the upcoming season. He already seemed too uptight and rigid. This kind of screams more of the same. This ain't the NY Giants. How much scrutiny would he receive from the local media ? It's like he's undercutting the desire to get people engaged and behind the program again, in order to allow him more time to work with the kids. Or maybe he thinks we are going to be significantly worse than last year's collapse if he doesn't do something about it. Hope this kind of thing doesn't impact attendance too much in the new season.

The more time goes on, the more I think Marrone is not going to wind up being our long term answer as head coach. Really sucks, because on paper he's got everything we're looking for. Alumnus, really good coaching experience, from the tri-state area which helps for recruiting purposes. We really need to turn the corner this year, or he's going to start getting heat from the national media, and Doc Gross can't help but pay attention.
So, if he gets down and gets funky, you'll be the first to buy in?

I think this is so well said. Those saying he's done all the rah-rahing for three years which amounted to nothing are way off. The WVA game was a great atmosphere and people were juiced. To "back that up" by going 1-6 in a weak conference IS going to hurt a bandwagon-oriented community.

Pathetic if one thinks this is an advantage to having a better year not to mention that marketing and selling the program is part of the gig.

But maybe that's exactly why he is not doing those things. If it doesn't help get Ws, why bother?

Because his job is not just about W's; it's also about attendance and fan engagement. It's about making money for the university.

Because his job is not just about W's; it's also about attendance and fan engagement. It's about making money for the university.
Ideally, yes. But winning cures all those things too.