Downstate/NJ recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Downstate/NJ recruiting

NJCuse97

Once Thought to be Taylor Ham Campanile Prophet
Watching some of the country's most dynamic athletes go head to head in Peppers and Gary vs. Samuels, and watching one of Bama's best corners in Fitzpatrick play in the Iron Bowl later, is it any question we need to continue to re-establish ourselves in recruiting the area?

Watching some of the country's most dynamic athletes go head to head in Peppers and Gary vs. Samuels, and watching one of Bama's best corners in Fitzpatrick play in the Iron Bowl later, is it any question we need to continue to re-establish ourselves in recruiting the area?

No. Those kids are at those schools for a reason.

No. Those kids are at those schools for a reason.
So we should ignore the best talent in our region? Their talent can't be denied, but why ignore them or the region just because other institutions will raid it? Should we just hand them TD now?

So we should ignore the best talent in our region? Their talent can't be denied, but why ignore them or the region just because other institutions will raid it? Should we just hand them TD now?

Players have to want to play for SU.
Lately, none of the best local-ish talent has.

The fact that we've mostly sucked for as long as they've been alive probably has something to do with that.
Can you blame them?

Players have to want to play for SU.
Lately, none of the best local-ish talent has.

The fact that we've mostly sucked for as long as they've been alive probably has something to do with that.
Can you blame them?

Nope. But we'll get some as wins come.

We can't compete with Harbaugh's sleep over's or tree climbing yet, just not in the budget.

One pipe line that Dino did open that I think has been underrated is the one with Cass Tech in Detroit.

It was mentioned in the UM v OSU that between the 2 teams there was 8 Cass Tech players on the field.

Next year SU will have 2 with Walton and Morton and an in road to the 2018 kids.

One pipe line that Dino did open that I think has been underrated is the one with Cass Tech in Detroit.

It was mentioned in the UM v OSU that between the 2 teams there was 8 Cass Tech players on the field.

Next year SU will have 2 with Walton and Morton and an in road to the 2018 kids.
We out recruited UM and OSU for Cass Tech players? I'm sure Cass Tech players go to Eastern and Western Michigan too. Its not the HS, it's their talent level.

Could have sworn we just recruited a 4star QB out of NJ didn't we? Don't get why people belabor the NJ thing so much...great players...we get some, we lose some...some years we get more...some less...no one should be surprised if a kid out of NJ goes to an Ohio St, Michigan or Florida State if they are that good though...

We out recruited UM and OSU for Cass Tech players? I'm sure Cass Tech players go to Eastern and Western Michigan too. Its not the HS, it's their talent level.
The point is we're building a relationship with powerhouse High School programs. We're not going to just come in and take their 4 star recruit but if we have a 2 or 3 kids already in Orange then the staff has been around the school long enough to know the next 4 star kid when he was in 9th grade.

Same thing goes for NYC & Jersey kids. We need to offer & take the 3 star players to establish relationships with the top programs. In time that will pay off and help us land the big fish.

The point is we're building a relationship with powerhouse High School programs. We're not going to just come in and take their 4 star recruit but if we have a 2 or 3 kids already in Orange then the staff has been around the school long enough to know the next 4 star kid when he was in 9th grade.

Same thing goes for NYC & Jersey kids. We need to offer & take the 3 star players to establish relationships with the top programs. In time that will pay off and help us land the big fish.

Correct... I don't think some people realize just because a coach shows up to some of these high school national powerhouses wanting to talk to a kid means they get to.. a lot of these high schools shield their top tier kids from colleges unless they have a relationship. So just because SU might show up wanting to talk to a 4 or 5 star kid doesn't mean they will get to talk to him.

Most of the time the HS coach will say something like "they probably won't be interested in talking but I have a couple other kids you can talk to and might want to offer."

For people that don't know Cass Tech is a year in and year out power house that doesn't only have regional kids but they get a lot of Canadian kids that want to come to the states for HS.

Cass the past 2 years has opened the door wide open for us and has let us talk to and offer any of the kids we have wanted.

This is an important relationship for SU right now. And I don't think it hurts that Detroit has comparable weather to Syr so the snow doesn't scare these kids away.

We can't compete with those schools for the very top end talent yet. It's completely possible that there are kids who don't get offers from those schools who are better than Eastern Michigan talent.

Side note: Western Michigan has out recruited us recently. We could do well to get some of those kids.

No disrespect to Cass Tech or any other powerhouse in Michigan, Illinois, California or even Florida, we need to get the best players we can wherever we can. That said, my point is that in the same vein of Cass Tech and all that talent at OSU, Michigan, or even directional Michigan, the school is 3 hours at most from any of those schools. Texas schools are full of Texas players because of proximity. Same is true of the 3 and maybe even 5 Florida schools (USF, UCF, FAMU, or FIU). They are close to the talent and in their heads, in their face, in their lives. In the Cass Tech article I read in another thread, the coach (a UM alum) said he wants to see kids stay in Michigan if possible, but at least try to get the kids to stay close enough that their families can watch them play. I have to believe that is a factor for players, coaches and programs anywhere. These downstate/NJ schools are in that 3-4 hour radius of SU. That talent is proving that it can play on an elite level. I understand that people will say that this and all area talent won't give us the time of day, but it takes time and effort and it is not worthless effort based on the Minkah Fitzpatricks, Rashon Garys, Curtis Samuels, and Jabrill Peppers of the world, (and our RB coach should know). Like BKCuse and SYR2RDU said (even if talking about Cass) is that we need to build relationships that take time. Our gains with Don Bosco and our past with Bergen Catholic will be invaluable moving forward, but any momentum (yes, winning is a crucial ingredient) must be seized in this region because it will serve itself faster and easier than inroads at Plant, Aquinas, or Cass Tech.

I didn't see those Jersey kids playing for Rutgers on Saturday either.
Correct. You didn't. I'd dare say you never will, but that is exactly why everyone is always talking about Rutgers' potential. Like I and others have said above, winning will help a ton. that is why you don't see these kids at Rutgers. PSU having the freakish year they are having is a real thorn in our side. The idea that Rutgers is inviting Ohio State and as a result drawing Michigan in does not help us. They were already here, but now they are invited guests.

Start winning, sell our somewhat unique brand, compete with Louisville, FSU, and Clemson on the field, and we should see results if the relationships are maintained.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom