"dream Job" | Syracusefan.com

"dream Job"

SaintTristan

Starter
1. I suppose we all have different definitions of dream job. Marrone's is "job I will take until someone offers me more money.". I obviously don't blame him - the bills will be a nice stepping stone to whatever job is his real dream job.

2. Bills fans are getting hosed. What a horrible hire for them.

3. I hope you all learned an important lesson about hiring a coach. Alums aren't the answer. Get the best coach you can regardless of affiliation because with the exception of jb, they are all loyal only up and until they get a better offer. Suckers.

4. Two guys we should be looking at are the OCs of l'ville and Ohio state. The guy at OSU is an impressive individual and probably smarter than every professor on campus. He also has a hot wife (at least by upstate ny standards).

What a blessing this

4. Two guys we should be looking at are the OCs of l'ville and Ohio state. The guy at OSU is an impressive individual and probably smarter than every professor on campus. He also has a hot wife (at least by upstate ny standards).

Agreed. Any one of these two would be great gets.

Whenever a coach with years NFL coaching says any college job is his dream, take that with a very large grain of salt. The odds are great that he has the NFL bug. He might have that college as his only desired college HC job, but if he has the NFL bug, he is gone when the NFL comes calling.

That is the other problem with hiring NFL guys.

A lot of career college coaches get the NFL bug as well. If you're good at what you do, people notice.

A lot of career college coaches get the NFL bug as well. If you're good at what you do, people notice.

You need to define 'a lot.' Nick Saban is one, and he got over that bug quickly. So did Spurrier. How many of the top college coaches have a dollop of the NFL bug? Meyer? Brian Kelly? Petersen? Patterson? Brown? Stoops? Miles? Richt?

Long time NFL coaches are a double risk for colleges. Many intend to get back to the NFL ASAP. Chuck Pagano is a good example. If he had stayed at UNC, our D, loaded with future NFL talent, would have been great. But Pagan preferred to be an NFL position coach than a college DC, because his goal was to become an NFL HC and he felt he could get there quicker staying in the NFL.

The other risk with long time NFL guys is that they cannot make the transition. Bill Callahan may be the best example, at least to scare fans and ADs.

Having a man or 2 on the staff with NFL coaching experience can help recruit. But those 2 risks are ever present.

There is no guarantee one way or another, I just simply want the best coach for the job. I get what you're saying and weather they get over the bug or not, they still left their jobs.

I don't have as much a problem with the "dream job" thing as I do the "I'm a Syracuse guy" emotion he tapped into, right? Remember that 1st speech he gave at the basketball game? He basically said "I'm you" ... "I bleed Orange" ... I bought into that and allowed myself to get caught up in it, with the final win over WVU being the "F-Yeah" confirmation that he was the right choice for then and into the future.

Then without a word, he pulls the rug out from under us, his players and recruits. I'm tempted to write some BS about how he never bleed orange - but green $. BUT, I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until we here about an emotional talk with his players, his response to CNY reporters at his first Bills presser, and hopefully a final presser here (dreaming - but it would be nice. He owes it to us?)

I don't have as much a problem with the "dream job" thing as I do the "I'm a Syracuse guy" emotion he tapped into, right? Remember that 1st speech he gave at the basketball game? He basically said "I'm you" ... "I bleed Orange" ... I bought into that and allowed myself to get caught up in it, with the final win over WVU being the "F-Yeah" confirmation that he was the right choice for then and into the future.

Then without a word, he pulls the rug out from under us, his players and recruits. I'm tempted to write some BS about how he never bleed orange - but green $. BUT, I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until we here about an emotional talk with his players, his response to CNY reporters at his first Bills presser, and hopefully a final presser here (dreaming - but it would be nice. He owes it to us?)

good life lesson it sounds like. Just the way it is for most, especially in modern times. the key is to respond with a bemused ambivalence and not let it start or contribute to "bitter old man syndrome" that it seems everyone ends up being like. Just a game all this stuff.

good life lesson it sounds like. Just the way it is for most, especially in modern times. the key is to respond with a bemused ambivalence and not let it start or contribute to "bitter old man syndrome" that it seems everyone ends up being like. Just a game all this stuff.

Agreed. I think I'll take a break and enjoy a few Knicks games, waiting for a HC announcement.

Moving on, just like Doug.

To be sure, you werent the only one duped by deep thinking doug. Dont be too hard on yourself. the guy did what he had to do to get a job he didnt deserve.

And by the way, I will let you guys in on a little secret. There is not a single person on the planet whose dream job is in syracuse NY. Not one.

3. I hope you all learned an important lesson about hiring a coach. Alums aren't the answer. Get the best coach you can regardless of affiliation because with the exception of jb, they are all loyal only up and until they get a better offer. Suckers.
This is spot on.

This is spot on.

By that rule, we would have hired Skip Holtz in the last go-around (since Marrone was our plan B).

I am sure we're all glad now we did not get him.

4. (the rule trumps all rules 1-3) There are no guarantees.

Why do we assume Holtz would have failed here? We don't know that.

Hire the best coach you can.

And by the way, I will let you guys in on a little secret. There is not a single person on the planet whose dream job is in syracuse NY. Not one.
you must have forgot about the basktball coach you pretend to like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom