Drop off in elite talent vs last year | Syracusefan.com

Drop off in elite talent vs last year

BlueCurtain

2nd String
Most of this is probably restating the obvious, but tonight drove home the observation that there's a big drop-off from the elite talent that they had last year. The backcourt of Scoop and Waiters looks a lot better now in hindsight, doesn't it? They occasionally played out of control but they could break down the defense, get to the rim, or pass to the open man when help defense adjusted. MCW and Triche have a size advantage but they are really ineffective against smaller quicker guards that play tight D. And they don't try to post up, so that negates their size/strength. They make a concerted effort to mix it up and grab defensive rebounds, but it's coming at the expense of not leaking out and starting the fast break. The transition game is almost non-existent - even when they turn the other team over -- just a bad omen for a program that historically relies on easy points.

And then there's the drop off in the front court. Even though Melo didn't have any post game, there's a reason they went 29-1 with him in the lineup. Xmas has the athleticism but would rather be sipping margaritas on a beach in St Croix, and Keita is Keita. My best suggestion would be to try to get Grant more involved in the post or going with a smaller lineup and ditching the centers -- but suggestions don't mean squat because what we see is what we'll get.

On any given night, Triche could play out of his mind like he did vs Louisville or James could get white hot, but it's really the exception. Then again, the program is due for some breaks to fall their way. Just don't count on it happening this season.

This team misses Kris Joseph more than anyone wanted to believe. His ability to knock down 3's along with his quickness to get into the lane is sorely lacking. Our forwards now have little to no ball handling ability, which is killing us. Unless they're wide open, they can't do anything.

We just miss everything. MCW is good, but last year, scoop, waiters, and Joseph could all get their own shot. Fab was an alley oop machine. Fair was Fair and Triche was Triche. Do you remember last year when people would have to complain that Triche or Waiters were on the bench at the end of each game because we were too deep? This years Triche is Cooney. That's a gigantic drop off.

Good post

th

And for all the crap that our fan base gave Joseph and Scoop, they were basically always composed (unless I'm forgetting an incident here or there) and hit a lot of big shots in big moments for us.

the team does not miss joseph. the team misses the brandon triche that used to play here.

And for all the crap that our fan base gave Joseph and Scoop, they were basically always composed (unless I'm forgetting an incident here or there) and hit a lot of big shots in big moments for us.

You are forgetting an incident here or there.

the team does not miss joseph. the team misses the brandon triche that used to play here.

I was never a big KJ fan but they do miss him some, imo. He could make some plays driving for himself or others. The lane is so clogged up this year. We aren't moving enough defenders away from the basket. We are pretty easy to defend without shooters and simply one pass and a shot. Bodies are just staying down around the rim.

Compare this team to the 2010-2011 team instead. I think this team is better.

We saw alot of tonight what we saw at St Johns. Hoping Fair and Southerland would get hot from jumpshooting.

This team doesn't have the look to score first isolation guy, or the a legitimite post up presence. But, it knows how to create half court transition and we didn't see that tonight from Triche, Fair, Grant, and Christmas 4 of our 6 top scorers. I don't think that necessarilly translates to a big talent dropoff. At the NBA level yes where everyone is a isolation player. But, not so much at the college level.

This team can't decide who wants to take the midrange shots each game. Triche off the dribble. Fair or Grant in the midpost. Or Christmas in the low/lobs. None of them did it tonight.

Mike is learning to look to score less recently. He doesn't have to shoot to much, but he wasn't even driving and kicking the ball out tonight.

Triche, James, Fair, and Mike are averaging 54.6 ppg together so far this year thats alot. And James CJ and Triche have all hit 25 ppg or more this year. Triche has hit 20 points in 4 of 11 BE games. CJ has hit 17 in 5-11 big east games. James put up 20 points against arkansas, detroit, canisius, and princeton who are pretty good combined 59-35 on the season.

Seriously? I've actually defended you on this board. But this post...completely ridiculous and downright stupid.

Bring on my 1 day or 1 week ban for calling out a specific poster. But this post sucks.

We sucked tonight. Played horribly across the board and got beat on the road by a team we should have beaten by double digits. Yes. Agreed. But that has absolutely ZERO to do with the talent coming into program.

You are good antagonist on this board...some of which I agree with every once and awhile. But this is a crap post.

44cuse

This team misses Kris Joseph more than anyone wanted to believe. His ability to knock down 3's along with his quickness to get into the lane is sorely lacking. Our forwards now have little to no ball handling ability, which is killing us. Unless they're wide open, they can't do anything.

For every bucket he had driving the lane, he had two turnovers. I also thought he regressed as a rebounder throughout his career. He's easily replaceable -our current forwards are every bit as good as what we had last year.

We miss two players off of last year's team - Fab and Dion.

Seriously? I've actually defended you on this board. But this post...completely ridiculous and downright stupid.

Bring on my 1 day or 1 week ban for calling out a specific poster. But this post sucks.

We sucked tonight. Played horribly across the board and got beat on the road by a team we should have beaten by double digits. Yes. Agreed. But that has absolutely ZERO to do with the talent coming into program.

You are good antagonist on this board...some of which I agree with every once and awhile. But this is a crap post.

44cuse

I think you would only get banned for creating a thread specifically for calling out a poster...

Plus i agree with you...the talent is not the problem...the problem is chemistry or team play or whatever you want to call it...possibly lack of leadership...problem is too many players trying to do it themselves rather than trying to rally and work with the team...

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. More accurate would be that "the team misses the Brandon Triche that has occasionally played here" or to be even more accurate "the team misses the Brandon Triche that supposedly plays in the summer leagues." I think I've seen him like 3 times in 4 years.

I don't really think it's so much a talent drop off as much as it is a drop off in guys that can create their own shot. This years team is too reliant on one guy to set everyone up for my liking.

44cuse
His suggestion to go small by moving Grant into the post and/or ditching the centers really points out a real lack of something. At 6'8", 203, Jerami's biggest problem is that he isn't big enough nor strong enough to handle power forwards. How would he fair against bigger opponents. And speed will only get you so far. Yeah he is right in that in one aspect that there is a drop off in talent but then with only 8 scholarship guys what do you expect. The past 2 years SU not only the best 6th man in the league/country, their 7th and 8th man were right up there.

I am no Blue Curtain fan but some of the responses blasting his post are a bit over the top to say the least. Its clear that this team is no where near as talented as last years team, and his comments about Rak/Keita are spot on.

Most of this is probably restating the obvious, but tonight drove home the observation that there's a big drop-off from the elite talent that they had last year. The backcourt of Scoop and Waiters looks a lot better now in hindsight, doesn't it? They occasionally played out of control but they could break down the defense, get to the rim, or pass to the open man when help defense adjusted. MCW and Triche have a size advantage but they are really ineffective against smaller quicker guards that play tight D. And they don't try to post up, so that negates their size/strength. They make a concerted effort to mix it up and grab defensive rebounds, but it's coming at the expense of not leaking out and starting the fast break. The transition game is almost non-existent - even when they turn the other team over -- just a bad omen for a program that historically relies on easy points.

And then there's the drop off in the front court. Even though Melo didn't have any post game, there's a reason they went 29-1 with him in the lineup. Xmas has the athleticism but would rather be sipping margaritas on a beach in St Croix, and Keita is Keita. My best suggestion would be to try to get Grant more involved in the post or going with a smaller lineup and ditching the centers -- but suggestions don't mean squat because what we see is what we'll get.

On any given night, Triche could play out of his mind like he did vs Louisville or James could get white hot, but it's really the exception. Then again, the program is due for some breaks to fall their way. Just don't count on it happening this season.

Pretty much agree.

I am no Blue Curtain fan but some of the responses blasting his post are a bit over the top to say the least. Its clear that this team is no where near as talented as last years team, and his comments about Rak/Keita are spot on.

I could be wrong but I think some of that was directed @orangefan13.

I could be wrong but I think some of that was directed @orangefan13.

That could be the case, either way I think your post was spot on for the most part, good to see you offer some insight other then zone bashing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom