Class of 2021 - DT Dion Wilson (CA) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/2/24) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DT Dion Wilson (CA) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/2/24)

I thought he got better as year went byebut didnt pay attention in bowl game.
I did too. I want to see if he can handle center/guard, guard/tackle combo blocks. Spring will be big for him. Fuentes has to prove it too. I dont see how Bassette or Gordon fits.

I can only go by what I see. He has not consistently shown to be a physical and explosive presence. Hopefully he improves and be in heavy rotation. The staff can bring in guys that are just as good or better than him
I think a lot of his potential reward was returning to his athleticism prior to the injury. I don't think we've seen that yet. With the multiple knee injuries maybe we won't. This is his HS Hudl:

I think a lot of his potential reward was returning to his athleticism prior to the injury. I don't think we've seen that yet. With the multiple knee injuries maybe we won't. This is his HS Hudl:

Oh I know his history. Im hoping he can flash the potential that made him a top HS prospect.

I did too. I want to see if he can handle center/guard, guard/tackle combo blocks. Spring will be big for him. Fuentes has to prove it too. I dont see how Bassette or Gordon fits.
Somewhat similar situation to Stefon Thompson except obviously less production pre-injury at the college level. Ingraham coming good his senior would be fantastic for the team.

Size issues for Bassette and Gordon?

I thought Bassette was a really intriguing guy coming in.

Size issues for Bassette and Gordon?

I thought Bassette was a really intriguing guy coming in.

I did as well.

But he's only 6-0 or so, and hasn't really gotten on the field in two seasons, despite the injuries we've sustained at DT.

I did as well.

But he's only 6-0 or so, and hasn't really gotten on the field in two seasons, despite the injuries we've sustained at DT.
Gordon and Bassette are both in that Terry Lockett mold. And I don't think that type of DT fits this system.

Darton is the other one that I don't know exactly what they do with. If he does want to play another year. Could be intriguing at FB though.

I did as well.

He's still a really young player, I guess.

Need to land a player or two like this, so teams can no longer just line up and run the ball inside against us at will.

Rikes and this kid would go a LONG way toward shoring up that deficiency.
Years ago, I think toward the end of P's tenure, I read an article or column about an anonymous Big East assistant commenting that basically in the McNabb years and before you would go through the roster and lineups in preparation for the game and constantly have to say "watch out for #5, he's a beast" and basically go down the line. As the program faded, that worry faded.

I'd love to see an article about preparing for Syracuse in 2024 vs. 2023.

Years ago, I think toward the end of P's tenure, I read an article or column about an anonymous Big East assistant commenting that basically in the McNabb years and before you would go through the roster and lineups in preparation for the game and constantly have to say "watch out for #5, he's a beast" and basically go down the line. As the program faded, that worry faded.

That was a guy at Miami. I remember it.

That was a guy at Miami. I remember it.
I think I remember this too. Wasn't the quote something like "I don't see Donovan McNabb over there anymore. I don't see Donovan Darius over there."

I think I remember this too. Wasn't the quote something like "I don't see Donovan McNabb over there anymore. I don't see Donovan Darius over there."
It was a Miami player remembering when we had studs like Simpkins, Gachelin, and Eric Downing, saying that even though they beat Cuse they had to work for it.

It was a Miami player remembering when we had studs like Simpkins, Gachelin, and Eric Downing, saying that even though they beat Cuse they had to work for it.
Yeah you had Hall of Fame players at the U that talk about the epic beatdown of 98 and how it was a big motivating factor especially in the 01 season.

Gachlin was a beast. Pretty sure he had a squat video that someone recorded that was a new record at the time for the team. Just a big strong guy.

Gordon and Bassette are both in that Terry Lockett mold. And I don't think that type of DT fits this system.

Darton is the other one that I don't know exactly what they do with. If he does want to play another year. Could be intriguing at FB though.
I think he could easily fit at 1shade for a small time. He is freakishly strong is almost unblockable when 1 on 1. His problem will be that we need our 1 shade to take 2 blockers and if its only 1 u better make the play.

Gachlin was a beast. Pretty sure he had a squat video that someone recorded that was a new record at the time for the team. Just a big strong guy.
I recall an article about him. His dad had a whole weight room setup or a facility and it was the place where everyone on Gachelin's HS team worked out.

I think he could easily fit at 1shade for a small time. He is freakishly strong is almost unblockable when 1 on 1. His problem will be that we need our 1 shade to take 2 blockers and if its only 1 u better make the play.
I'm no defensive system expert, but it seemed like our DT's in the 3-3-5 were sorta hybrids between the traditional NT and DT.

I'm no defensive system expert, but it seemed like our DT's in the 3-3-5 were sorta hybrids between the traditional NT and DT.
Yeah. This 4-2-5 needs Watson type at 3i and the A & M guy at 1 shade who can take multiple blockers on and not lose ground that we havent gotten yet. Diggs at end and not sure what the other end calls for.

Yeah. This 4-2-5 needs Watson type at 3i and the A & M guy at 1 shade who can take multiple blockers on and not lose ground that we havent gotten yet. Diggs at end and not sure what the other end calls for.
I hope at a minimum we can add another athlete like Wilson for the DT and then 2 traditional NT types, that should put us in a good position heading into the Spring for healthy competition and see where things shake out. Perry and Fuentes still intrigue me, and Ingraham could be a sold DT rotational guy if he continues to improve in his recovery.

Yeah you had Hall of Fame players at the U that talk about the epic beatdown of 98 and how it was a big motivating factor especially in the 01 season.
Actually I think that players quote was a few years later, referencing the 26-0 shutout (one of the best all-time canes squads) but that it wasn’t that easy compared to later squads when the Cuse talent really dropped off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom