Class of 2014 - DT Jalen Harvey (AL)Offered | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 DT Jalen Harvey (AL)Offered

Re-read this. Are you certain that was what you intended to write? Be careful when you mock others.

How the hell did I do that? Living in Georgia is slowly seeping into my brain. ;)

To my knowledge an official would pay for a parent. Might be only one parent though and definitely not siblings or extended family.

16 hours from Alabama? No way.

Flexico Burress ‏@Jalen_Harvey94 40m
4 hours left to go

Must have taken a nap and breakfast break...

Just looked it up. i always figured they paid for a family member or 2.

Amazing how idiotic the NCAA can be. It is the biggest decision a 17-18 year old can make and schools aren't allowed to pay for family to fly with the kid. Ridiculous. So many of these familes cannot afford it. It should be the kid and parents being covered.

To my knowledge an official would pay for a parent. Might be only one parent though and definitely not siblings or extended family.

16 hours is about right. I know it used to take me 17 hours if I drove it straight from near Rome NY to Montgomery, AL.

Amazing how idiotic the NCAA can be. It is the biggest decision a 17-18 year old can make and schools aren't allowed to pay for family to fly with the kid. Ridiculous. So many of these familes cannot afford it. It should be the kid and parents being covered.

Not everyone flies. Also it could be there is more than just his parents coming with him.

University can provide meals and lodging to parents, also transportation if traveling together in car with prospect

so if they drive they all eat and stay for free and expenses paid for.. if they fly only he kid..

I know it sounds ridiculous, but covering the cost of all these officials is extremely expensive. The big power conference schools can easily afford it, the middling BCS schools barely turn a profit, and the non-BCS schools have a ton of problems not creating a deficit. Think of the schools in the Sun belt, Mountain West, Conference USA, FCS, that have to not only pay a few hundred dollars for a kid to fly to their school, but then would have to double that to pay for a parent. The costs of officials seems like it would easily cost $100,000+ with travel, food, lodging. So if a small school pays all that money for officials and most of those kids decide to commit to another school, thats a gigantic sunk cost that is hard to make back. You'd basically have to double the budget for officials and put a lot of smaller schools that much closer to a deficit. I know it's easy to think of the SEC, PAC, BIG, and ACC schools as being able to afford this, but for every big school, there are two small schools that have problems funding their athletic departments.

Not everyone flies. Also it could be there is more than just his parents coming with him.

Yes it sounds like other family are coming so I understand that. I don't expect all family to be covered but if one or two parents want to go on a visit I believe it should be covered. Just seems fair to me

I know it sounds ridiculous, but covering the cost of all these officials is extremely expensive. The big power conference schools can easily afford it, the middling BCS schools barely turn a profit, and the non-BCS schools have a ton of problems not creating a deficit. Think of the schools in the Sun belt, Mountain West, Conference USA, FCS, that have to not only pay a few hundred dollars for a kid to fly to their school, but then would have to double that to pay for a parent. The costs of officials seems like it would easily cost $100,000+ with travel, food, lodging. So if a small school pays all that money for officials and most of those kids decide to commit to another school, thats a gigantic sunk cost that is hard to make back. You'd basically have to double the budget for officials and put a lot of smaller schools that much closer to a deficit. I know it's easy to think of the SEC, PAC, BIG, and ACC schools as being able to afford this, but for every big school, there are two small schools that have problems funding their athletic departments.

Very true, great post. The small schools would be screwed, as always.

This issue is one of the big reasons why the big 5 want to have more control over what they can and cannot do. It doesn't make a lot of sense that a tiny schools budget hamstrings what over half the schools can and cannot do.

BfUth28IAAIP3pc.jpg:large

Flexico Burress ‏@Jalen_Harvey94 38m
I like this #Cuse pic.twitter.com/ZwXdqmthUc

Nice.

Loving it. I liked his tape and said earlier in the thread that I was surprised to see how skilled he was with his hands because that's usually what defensive lineman need to develop when they arrive on campus. Great job by the staff to identify him and flip him. Congrats Jalen, welcome to Cuse Nation!

There is another kid also on the roster from Alabama, Alryk Perry, looks like he redshirted this year. Wonder if he will see the field next year.

Why are people talking about Perry, did 'bama give him the boot?