Duce Chestnut transferring back to the 'Cuse | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Duce Chestnut transferring back to the 'Cuse

Spots will open up. Some havent announced their departure yet. Staff is aware of their needs. CB is one of them.
Agreed. Like I said, looking at the numbers we have at the moment, departures need to (and will) happen before arrivals can be added.

I think it’s going to take a few beats for everyone to get used to having layers of quality players.

Duce will be part of that for our secondary.

Also, If Wildhack and HCFB are cool with him coming back, I’m assuming he’s paid any necessary price to pay.

Jersey kid. Redemption story. Hope he ends up succeeding and graduating and getting a crack at the nfl.

The point is, people can stop posting endlessly, worrying if we'll have enough spots available. If Fran wants a player, he can create a spot and move somebody out.

As for you marrying a supermodel, good luck.
My point is that people can stop posting endlessly about grabbing every player that enters the portal. Spots will need to, and probably will be, made available for anyone to be added. Is movement out and in over? No. As of this posting, we’re maxed out.

I’m done going around in circles in this thread. Welcome back, Duce.

I know it’s a huge unknown how well our coaches do X’s and O’s wise. And Fran is a big wildcard in terms of how aggressive his style is, game management, scheme, etc…

But can’t believe I’m saying this but with how the roster currently is. I think we are 1 CB, 1 LB, 2 OL and 2 DL away from being legit conference contenders in terms of talent on the roster.

We already know Humes, Barnes, Chappell are going to visit.
We know the staff is actively recruiting OL and DL in the portal so they are obviously aware and want to upgrade the trenches.

Another telling thing to me is almost all of our studs are coming back next season. OG, Wax, Barron…on top of that, a lot of our depth guys decided not to transfer. I definitely thought a few more guys would transfer if I’m being honest. Obviously losing guys like Thompson, Caleb, etc…hurt. But it’s very telling that we are not only getting stud high school recruits, stud transfers, our own studs to come back next year but our depth guys to come back next year too. It tells me the team is FULLY buying into what Fran and staff is telling them. This is really exciting and I think we have some very bright days ahead of us

Good post.

Agree with your logic -- but think we need TWO more cornerbacks from the transfer portal / HS ranks.

2 CB
2 DT
2 OL

I think we're OK at LB.

My point is that people can stop posting endlessly about grabbing every player that enters the portal. Spots will need to, and probably will be, made available for anyone to be added. Is movement out and in over? No. As of this posting, we’re maxed out.

I’m done going around in circles in this thread. Welcome back, Duce.
We’re not going to grab every player that enters the portal. But room will be made for talent and as much room will be made as necessary. That’s really all that needs to be said.

I believe we have room for 7 or 8 more guys this upcoming semester. 7 of 18 freshmen are not enrolling until August. I believe the rule is you can’t have more than 85 on scholarship at any time.

No one, not the staff or anyone else, is expecting Duce to be a savior, he is a solid piece at a position of need. He was excellent in 2021 and not as good in 2022 and barely got a shot at LSU after going into loser Kelly’s doghouse. In this day and age, most DBs are going to get torched sometimes , you can barely cover anyone now without getting flagged. Look at any boxscore not involving Iowa or Syracuse and you see dudes throwing for 400 yards like it’s nothing

Last edited:
Good post.

Agree with your logic -- but think we need TWO more cornerbacks from the transfer portal / HS ranks.

2 CB
2 DT
2 OL

I think we're OK at LB.
Last spring, Nebraska had over 100 players before the spring game. They got it down to the 85-player limit before the season started. I'm not worried at all about how many players are on the roster right now.

Good post.

2 CB
2 DT
2 OL

I think we're OK at LB.
1 RB thin, can bank on a FR

This is our CB depth right now:

Jayden Bellamy
Greg Delaine
Cornell Perry
Duce Chestnut (TR)
Ta’ron Haile (HS) (assuming he projects here)
Braheem Long (HS) (assuming he projects here)

If we had a game tomorrow who are you picking as the starting 2 corners? Duce is one for me.

Now what I want to see added to this are 2 more high quality guys, so that our top 4 is those 2, Duce and Bellamy. Now you’ve got some depth and some options.

They have 6 right now, not including walkons, that’s more than enough
Lequint Allen
Juwaun Price
M. Parkman
JJ Branham
Yasin Willis (HS)
Jaden Hart (HS)

I think you could potentially look at someone who is more like Willis so you have some depth at that larger type of back that is a receiving threat as well and swap out Branham. Or if this is suitable depth for all looks without Branham then use that spot for a higher priority position.

Did Branham really only play in 1 game this year?

Last edited:
add another great storyline to this upcoming season. This is pretty fun

This is our CB depth right now:

Jayden Bellamy
Greg Delaine
Cornell Perry
Duce Chestnut (TR)
Ta’ron Haile (HS) (assuming he projects here)
Braheem Long (HS) (assuming he projects here)

If we had a game tomorrow who are you picking as the starting 2 corners? Duce is one for me.

Now what I want to see added to this are 2 more high quality guys, so that our top 4 is those 2, Duce and Bellamy. Now you’ve got some depth and some options.
Yup Duce is the best we have right now. Some will ignore Bellamy getting torched vs USF on back to back plays but remember Duce not being as good as his freshman year.

We have some guys at S, Martin and Clark that could move outside if necessary. I see a couple names on the existing list moving on after spring. We need guys with speed to be playing corner against some of these 4.4 wrs. I see at lest 1 hopefully 2 more cbs out of the portal by camp.

Yup Duce is the best we have right now. Some will ignore Bellamy getting torched vs USF on back to back plays but remember Duce not being as good as his freshman year.
If they can land Barnes and one more portal CB I would be very happy with that room. Bellamy strikes me as a guy who has the tools just needs the coaching and competition.

I know it’s a huge unknown how well our coaches do X’s and O’s wise. And Fran is a big wildcard in terms of how aggressive his style is, game management, scheme, etc…

But can’t believe I’m saying this but with how the roster currently is. I think we are 1 CB, 1 LB, 2 OL and 2 DL away from being legit conference contenders in terms of talent on the roster.

We already know Humes, Barnes, Chappell are going to visit.
We know the staff is actively recruiting OL and DL in the portal so they are obviously aware and want to upgrade the trenches.

Another telling thing to me is almost all of our studs are coming back next season. OG, Wax, Barron…on top of that, a lot of our depth guys decided not to transfer. I definitely thought a few more guys would transfer if I’m being honest. Obviously losing guys like Thompson, Caleb, etc…hurt. But it’s very telling that we are not only getting stud high school recruits, stud transfers, our own studs to come back next year but our depth guys to come back next year too. It tells me the team is FULLY buying into what Fran and staff is telling them. This is really exciting and I think we have some very bright days ahead of us

Let's schedule South Florida in the Dome for next year's opener! :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom