Duce Chestnut transferring back to the 'Cuse | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Duce Chestnut transferring back to the 'Cuse

even more reason in my opinion to give the kid a break. It was a party. and a fight. Seriously

So...what "reason" are you referring to, besides rationalization?

Up to Fran. But if we land those other 3, then we don't need to have Duce.

"Break" is secondary to enhancing talent base, IMO.

Who
Because they didn't leave the program for apparently greener pastures. Duce is not better than any portal DB's being brought in. By the way, I am also good with HCFB not bringing back any of those players if he feels they are not a fit.
Who cares talent is talent. What player wouldn’t leave for hundreds of thousands and a chance to play at a power house? If he is good and wants to come back, let him. All that matters is wins and losses. He never said a bad thing about cuse.

Let’s remember HC Fran Brown said he didn’t want Duce when he was at Rutgers and that’s why he ended up at Syracuse
I don’t think we really know if it was Fran or Schiano that wasn’t fond of Duce. I remember there being a lot of talk from Dohn (I know I know….) saying that Schiano was questioning Duce’s speed. This leads me more to believe that maybe it was more Schiano that had the overrule and not make Duce a priority for them. I wouldn’t be surprised if Fran was actually advocating for Duce at Rutgers.

I don’t think we really know if it was Fran or Schiano that wasn’t fond of Duce. I remember there being a lot of talk from Dohn (I know I know….) saying that Schiano was questioning Duce’s speed. This leads me more to believe that maybe it was more Schiano that had the overrule and not make Duce a priority for them. I wouldn’t be surprised if Fran was actually advocating for Duce at Rutgers.
Kind of strange Schiano would overrule a position coach of a guy he really wanted. Plus with the "Keep talking to #5 and i'll take #2 leaves me to believe he was a take", but at least he was smart enough to not want to play corner in the B10 at Rutgers.

Kind of strange Schiano would overrule a position coach of a guy he really wanted. Plus with the "Keep talking to #5 and i'll take #2 leaves me to believe he was a take", but at least he was smart enough to not want to play corner in the B10 at Rutgers.
Why wouldn’t a coach? He’s the ultimately responsible as his butt is on the line. I’m sure the position coach would want about 15 of his recruits to join the team but the head coach is the ceo who has to divvy up the numbers for each position etc. It could even be a situation where they were heavy in db’s and only could take a couple that year and Duce was lower on their board but in another year he’d be a take. We obviously don’t know 100% and will find out soon if how Fran thinks Duce will be a fit for us.

Who

Who cares talent is talent. What player wouldn’t leave for hundreds of thousands and a chance to play at a power house? If he is good and wants to come back, let him. All that matters is wins and losses. He never said a bad thing about cuse.
Yeah, he almost destroyed LAs career. However, you can continue to hold him to God status.

Yeah, he almost destroyed LAs career. However, you can continue to hold him to God status.
Talent, no one said “god status” whatever that is.

If you want to be real about LQA, he had no business being at that party, let alone assaulting the guy. End of the day, it was a fight between immature college students, you can justify it by saying he was “standing up for his teammate” or whatever but a mature adult doesn’t go into a situation like that knowing what the likely result is. This is another convenient scenario where one person is considered a victim while the other is labeled as the problem simply because one went to another school.

Also, he left us for a "better opportunity".

Now he wants back? Doesn't rub me the right way.
Bingo, this is like when George dates the girl with the huge nose and then he wants back with her after the nose job. Nah. He took his chance and got his “break”. There also has to be a line drawn with what’s gonna happen and not happen when it comes to leaving for money and being let back in

Duce’s play as a true freshman was impressive. I expected the usual sophomore leap in terms of the game slowing down even more for him, but it didn’t materialize the way I expected his Sophomore year. He has talent, but needs to put it all together.

Believe he only played in 4 games this year for LSU, so unless he gets stung with having to sit out a year, he can use his redshirt for the 2023 season and would have 2 years left on his clock.

I read that he can take a redshirt for last season and still have 2 years of eligibility left.

I’m hearing he’s def coming back, only a matter of time.

Hopefully we secure some more of these dbs were are chasing. I like him as a nickel back. He does have a nose for the ball, if he is allowed to roam a bit in the middle of the field, reading the QB. I do not like him as our starting corner.

Who

Locker room chemistry does matter if you care about wins and losses. If Fran wants him here and the players affected by his behavior want him back, then fine, but the team should have a say in it as well considering they are still here and he isn’t as his behavior prior to leaving almost caused a team star to miss the season.

Also, he left us for a "better opportunity".

Now he wants back? Doesn't rub me the right way.
I mean if he was able to get more $$$ by leaving than by staying, I really have no issue with him taking his shot. And if he’s of use to the program coming back, I really have no issue with that either.

Now if he was wanted here and we could have matched whatever amount of $$$ he got and he still left, then I hear you. Either way it’s up to Fran and the team and I support their decision 100%.

Last year NIL was brand new madness. We couldn't come close to competing with LSU & OSU so I can't blame those kids for taking the money. We were still stuck in the mud re: NIL but thankfully JW figured it out and things are different now.

I would hope people won't hold taking a major payday from a selector school against a kid. It's unreasonable to ask college kids to say no 100K+ to transfer up and compete for a national championship

That's great and all, and I really hope we get Harris, Chappell, etc, I'm sure we'll get a few. But depth is very much needed at the CB position and especially if we are still playing 5 DBs at a time. Duce would be our best CB on the roster today and it's not close. I don't think we have a playable one right now besides maybe Bellamy. If Duce wants to be here, we would be crazy to say no.
I don’t know he may have regressed? Is he still putting the same amount of work in? It was a noticeable drop off from his freshman to sophomore year and then was brought in to LSU at a position of need and couldn’t even crack the depth chart before strangely departing. Who knows the reason, but he doesn’t seem to be the same player he was his Freshman year.

I don’t know he may have regressed? Is he still putting the same amount of work in? It was a noticeable drop off from his freshman to sophomore year and then was brought in to LSU at a position of need and couldn’t even crack the depth chart before strangely departing. Who knows the reason, but he doesn’t seem to be the same player he was his Freshman year.
Sounds like Duce needs a father figure.

Hopefully we secure some more of these dbs were are chasing. I like him as a nickel back. He does have a nose for the ball, if he is allowed to roam a bit in the middle of the field, reading the QB. I do not like him as our starting corner.
Our secondary was crap this year. I think we need him on the field as long as he’s not a problem off the field. I agree he’d make a good nickel back. He could probably be a good 2nd CB like he was when Carter wasn’t injured but he can’t be the man on the #1 WR. He got torched in that role.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom