Duke and Coach K | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke and Coach K

I used to hate K with a passion --now, not so much. I guess he mellowed with age.
While I'm at it -- the next time someone compares UNC to the poor local kid I will throw up :)

..fixed

I used to hate K with a passion --now, not so much. I guess he mellowed with age.
While I'm at it -- the next time someone compares NC to the poor local kid I will throw up :)
U might be right...how about NC State?:rolling:

Amen. I respect K in the same way I respected players I hated like Bird, Montana, Rose. I may think they are all POS but it is hard not to have some begrudging respect for their success. But I will never like them or wish them to win. I'd even cheer for UK or GT against Duke. Yes allowing the transfer was a classy move, but that still doesn't mean K has any class. I bet even Stalin was nice to his friends (until he had them killed!).

Ok.. Why are Joe Montana and Larry Bird Pieces of Shi/?

And did you just compare Coach K to Stalin? Is this really where this board is right now?

Joe Montana is a POS and Stalin and K were nice to their friends.

Wow.

44cuse

While I'm at it -- the next time someone compares NC to the poor local kid I will throw up :)

Exactly. Anyone comparing UNC to the poor local kid has obviously never been to UNC.

44cuse

Have to Agree that Dicky V and ESPN has added to the hatred but guys like Reddick, Hurley and Laettner always bothered me.

Duke grads are extremely classy fans, people who are just fans are eh.

starting to sound like saint tristan hating on white players,so some diversity

My problem is with the media lovefest. When they lose this year in the 1st round as a #2, 50 miles from their campus, instead of getting hounded like any number of other coaches would, the view was that Coach K "Lost with dignity" and the kids were "gritty in defeat".

As for the loss itself, the quick reaction was "they had such a great year, they overachieved by being seeded that high to begin with". If they truly were overseeded, part of their ranking was because the media said all year how great they were during the season...now the media wants to take it back. Also -- they couldn't have been that overseeded -- much of the same media had them going to the Final 8 after the brackets came out.

When they win, forget it. They're the only kids in america that have ever practiced hard or gone to a class. When they lose in an upset that had only happened 4 times before, and had home court advantage at the same time, and the media wanted us to feel sorry for them for losing. The only top program that would get that kind of spin. And that's a big part of the backlash against them.

Geez, after reading all of this slobbering love fest over Duke, I am wondering if it is still okay to hate them.

Hey, I agree about Duke fans, and if we all like them so much, maybe we should take a cue from them.

Let's start by not ragging our own players and then being lame and defensive about it ("It keeps me from kicking the dog" "IT'S A FREE INTERNET COUNTRY MAAAN").

This is the ACC. We need to step up and represent well and we have a year to figure out how. Put on your best shoes. Don't be the cousin wearing a t-shirt to the wedding.

Not sure why we're making this out to be such an extraordinary act of goodwill. SU was a legal option, and K let him transfer. That's it.

Duke is a class program. The U has excellent academics. The staff recruits student athletes, not thugs. Coach K spends most of his pressers complimenting other teams with no excuses. It's easy to understand why the program has had so much success. The fans even wished MG well after K released him to a school that Duke will be playing in 2 years. I don't know how they could have handled it any better.

Sure the cameron indoor crazies are obnoxious... welcome to college hoops.

Save the hate for schools like D-League U (Ky) and Fried Chicken University ('Ville).

duke.jpg

Not sure why we're making this out to be such an extraordinary act of goodwill. SU was a legal option, and K let him transfer. That's it.
K could have blocked it.

Most coaches would not block it unless the circumstances are very unusual - e.g. Jason Hart.
Somewhat unusual because it will be within the same conference. As for some kind of strange circumstances, cue Bo Ryan.

First of all, I know Duke is easy to dislike, probably jealousy as almost all teams want their success and they win with a lot of good, smart student atheletes. For me, a big thing in Duke's favor is their dislike for all things UCONN. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Anybody here remember UCONN's center, I think his last name was Sellers, but I may be wrong, slamming Christian Laettner's head into the hardwood when Laettner was down. Kid got away with it during the game but was suspended for the start of next season.
Duke fans learned all they need to know about Calgoon, UConn, and the "win at every cost" mentality Calhoun tries to wrap up in the nice words "fiery competitor".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom