Duke could be in big, big, big trouble | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Duke could be in big, big, big trouble

Would the AD necessarily know anything about the story though? I'm not sure. It was essentially a matter between the business and Thomas, right?

Yes (to your second question) -- this was between Thomas and the jewelry store. I'm not sure how much anyone from Duke would know; I was just pointing out that Duke as a member institution can be compelled to cooperate, whereas (per your post) neither Thomas nor the store is under any obligation to talk to the NCAA.

The article linked below explains the situation well. There are 2 parts, the cash (which in that large an amount is inherently suspect for an umemployed student from a single-parent household) and the credit. Both were likely benefits violations, but proving this will probably be impossible without cooperation from the store or Thomas (where's a snitch when you need one).

You can bet that, if Duke's lawyers were involved, they insisted on a king-size gag provision in the settlement agreement. This is probably why the store declined comment.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...s-is-probably-gonna-be-the-new-corey-maggette

My point is...wrong board.

It was a tangential, if topical, reference to help make my point that someone in the Lance Thomas affair is hiding something. Go back and reread the post.

It was a tangential, if topical, reference to help make my point that someone in the Lance Thomas affair is hiding something. Go back and reread the post.

I think anyone, regardless of ideology or political affiliation, could (or should) see that it was a good analogy. Those with nothing to hide tend not to hide.

The NCAA should hire someone to go into that jewelry store and say "I'm a student at Duke, give me the same deal you gave Lance Thomas." And when the jeweler refused to do so, strip Duke of its title and put them on probation.