Duke does it right (strategic fundraising) | Syracusefan.com

Duke does it right (strategic fundraising)

chakka3421

All Conference
Duke University link:
http://today.duke.edu/2012/09/campaign2012
Duke University officials on Saturday announced the launch of a $3.25 billion fundraising campaign whose strategic goals include enriching the Duke experience, activating Duke's power for the world and sustaining the university's momentum.

The campaign, co-chaired by trustees Anne Bass, Bruce Karsh and David Rubenstein, is expected to run until June 30, 2017. It is the first university-wide campaign since the Campaign for Duke, which ended in 2003 and raised $2.36 billion.

The Duke Forward campaign evolved through a comprehensive strategic planning effort that included deans, faculty leaders and other administrators. Some priorities are familiar: financial aid, faculty development, research and patient care, athletics and annual giving.

Provost Peter Lange, the university's chief academic officer, calls the campaign "strategically and thematically based."

Duke athletics. Through the campaign, Duke seeks to sustain its commitment to being a top-notch athletics program. Campaign plans call for significant endowment fundraising and major renovations to key facilities, such as Wallace Wade Stadium and Cameron Indoor Stadium.

What is earmarked is 7.5% of the total, or $250 million, over the 5 year campaign. What Duke realizes, from the BoT, Chancellor, AD and coaching staff is athletics is integral to the overall university success. Coach K is a lead "spokesperson" for the athletics side of the fundraising campaign.

Just think, if the recent $1 billion campaign by SU set aside the same 7.5% to athletics, the facilities issues go away as $75 million would have been earmarked and we would have started already the building of the IPF.

What I like about Duke's approach, like many other Universities (scour the internet yourselves), is the strategic nature of involving of all parts of the University determining the needs of each component, then agreeing to percentages even if say more is raised for athletics, athletics will still only receive 7.5% as it is based on strategic need ($250 million in total if the goal is reached) and the whole university acts as a "TEAM".

Duke does it right.

The reason I cannot post very often anymore is that I have taken on new responsibilities (same company thankfully) and learning the new requirements for my new job and am exhausted. I havent been following the threads, just the news on TV latenight, but am glad Coach Shafer is the choice as long as we can keep Hackett for awhile. Go Orange!

I like it. It makes sense to take notes from them, given they are so similar to us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom