Duke Exhibition Struggles | Syracusefan.com

Duke Exhibition Struggles

Cappy3

Walk On
Duke opened with an exxy vs a D2 team, and barely got by 69-63. Most of their ballyhooed fresh struggled. For example, Wendell Carey, the #4 recruit played only 10 minutes, and had only 4 points vs guys 3-4 inches smaller and not rated top 200 out of hs. So while we may have had some issues ourselves, Duke may be somewhat overrated.

Yes, I talked to one of my Duke friends and she thought it was pretty bleah and fell asleep during the second half. This is unusual for Duke. They struggled with the three. However, I am certain Duke will be in fighting form before too long. It is their way.

Somewhat similar to our game, their opponent was red hot from 3 in the second half. They also played the perennial D2 national champion. Still, if Tre Jones is leading Duke in scoring then they are going to take a step back this year. Their freshmen don't look quite as impressive .. yet. That could change for sure.

Had they lost I’d have them penciled into my final four already.

Yeah, but ONLY if they were playing a D that they'd never play again for the rest of the year.

They will be good but they dont have the talent they had last year. It's a crime that K didnt win having Zion. He was a cheat code in college. And RJ is starting his pro career out pretty darn good. He will look back on that class years from now and wonder how in the heck he didnt cut the nets down.

I know this is a Duke thread but looking at UVA's roster I didn't realize they lost so much either. Diakite , Clark and the transfer Hauser are nice players but they will come to town with a ton of questions. I could see us winning that game and still inflating ourselves a bit too much. UVA could struggle this year a bit. Or they could look like they havent lost a step. I'm betting it is more the former.

I know this is a Duke thread but looking at UVA's roster I didn't realize they lost so much either. Diakite , Clark and the transfer Hauser are nice players but they will come to town with a ton of questions. I could see us winning that game and still inflating ourselves a bit too much. UVA could struggle this year a bit. Or they could look like they havent lost a step. I'm betting it is more the former.

It’ll be the latter against us, then subsequently the former.

It’ll be the latter against us, then subsequently the former.

Let's keep football and hoops separate this year. Or at least try to. We need hoops to change the SU narrative this winter.

Let's keep football and hoops separate this year. Or at least try to. We need hoops to change the SU narrative this winter.

Well last season it was the football team with a performance beyond my wildest dreams and the basketball team providing a kick to the d—k.

I’m cool with a reversal this year!

They will be good but they dont have the talent they had last year. It's a crime that K didnt win having Zion. He was a cheat code in college. And RJ is starting his pro career out pretty darn good. He will look back on that class years from now and wonder how in the heck he didnt cut the nets down.
The fact that the pick and roll wasn't absolutely abused with Zion says alot imo.

double digit win

double digit win

Yep. Especially considering after a quick check, Hauser isn't eligible till next year . They do have a decent freshman and a JUCO who both can shoot it but lost a ton last year.

looking at UVA's roster I didn't realize they lost so much either. I could see us winning that game and still inflating ourselves a bit too much.
Our stock is selling for pennies on the dollar. A little inflation won’t hurt anything.

Our stock is selling for pennies on the dollar. A little inflation won’t hurt anything.

Pennies on the dollar? Since when are we Rutgers? We may be in a low spot being a bubble team for several years going now but that is ages from being a bottom feeder..

I’m a big Tony Bennett fan- easily a Top 3-5 HC, IMO.
He reminds me a little of young JB in that years where they’re supposed to struggle, he somehow has them in the mix. And until recently he’s mostly done it w/ 3-4 star kids.
They’ll still be very good, and a loss would not surprise at all.

I’m a big Tony Bennett fan- easily a Top 3-5 HC, IMO.
He reminds me a little of young JB in that years where they’re supposed to struggle, he somehow has them in the mix. And until recently he’s mostly done it w/ 3-4 star kids.
They’ll still be very good, and a loss would not surprise at all.
Agree but generally he’s had vets. My guess is this group might take a little time. Really have no idea what we are so we could lose but catching them at home early is probably a good thing for us.

Agree but generally he’s had vets. My guess is this group might take a little time. Really have no idea what we are so we could lose but catching them at home early is probably a good thing for us.

Getting them early, before the new group has the pack line down is in our best interest. Additionally, having shooters to offset that D is important. In our wins vs UVA and close losses outside shooting has been key. Yes the press helped in the tourney but shooting was important. Also- with Clark they have a weakness of being smaller in the backcourt. Screening him with someone like Elijah would force a switch we could take advantage of on the perimeter to get some good looks.

I worry more defensively. With a young team, can't let them move it around and find open shots easily. They get some good looks and get cozy real quick.

Getting them early, before the new group has the pack line down is in our best interest. Additionally, having shooters to offset that D is important. In our wins vs UVA and close losses outside shooting has been key. Yes the press helped in the tourney but shooting was important. Also- with Clark they have a weakness of being smaller in the backcourt. Screening him with someone like Elijah would force a switch we could take advantage of on the perimeter to get some good looks.

I worry more defensively. With a young team, can't let them move it around and find open shots easily. They get some good looks and get cozy real quick.
Defensively, we're only bringing in one player to the starting 5 who hasn't played the pack line before, the shooting guards Tomas Woldetenase (JC xfer) and/or Casey Morsell (freshman). Our board generally agrees that the starting 5 will be Key, Diakite, Huff, Clark, and Woldetenase/Morsell. Offense will be more of a problem.

Defensively, we're only bringing in one player to the starting 5 who hasn't played the pack line before, the shooting guards Tomas Woldetenase (JC xfer) and/or Casey Morsell (freshman). Our board generally agrees that the starting 5 will be Key, Diakite, Huff, Clark, and Woldetenase/Morsell. Offense will be more of a problem.

Good stuff. We have the shooters this year to attack it. The question will be your offense vs our defense. Hard to figure how that will go. Also not saying we run over your defense just that we have some options to deal with it and I don't think that will be what determines the game as much as the opposite.

I would love to see us show up with some off-ball screens and better ball/player movement in general. I feel like our ball screens are rarely effective against them. But your point defensively is a good one. UVA generally runs a pretty tight offense and Diakite will be a nightmare on the glass. Feel like we'll be treated to at least better offensive basketball than we've seen but I worry a bit on the other end of the floor.

Saw Morsell play in that DC allstar game and he's an impressive athlete. Will be a handful, probably from day 1. Hard to judge much from one game, let alone one all-star game, but he was pretty impressive. McCoy also played and I wasn't real sold on him at least for this upcoming season. (as an aside the kid i liked the best was the nova kid, justin moore. effortlessly poured in points and made plays on both ends. tough kid.)

Regardless, I think the decision to return for Diakite was huge. Feel like he's going to give us absolute fits inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom