Duke Game Preview (3/26/22 at Noon) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Game Preview (3/26/22 at Noon)

If Gavin or Thompson play well the rest of the way then Id say NO. Sure Dobson is good but be little need to bring in a goalie for one season unless team was a FF calibre team only held back by goaltending which isn't the case . Seen fluctuations in goalie performances even in established goalies when its agaisnt weekly top comp, Entenman struggled until last game . Kirson also starred at Hill and was at 53% at OSU over his years there only to drop to 38% in his first year at JHU. At this stage of development rather see a goalie grow with the team rather than be one and done. Cuse carries five goalies which is somewhat ridiculous but all are actually competent. The one local who got away to the cries of many is a sub elsewhere at 38%. if Gavin/Thompson show well in remaining games then expect portal focus to be at fogo and middle as Phaup and Curry leave big holes.

A few random thoughts about this debate ...

To the argument about Dobson facing increased shooting prowess in the ACC, that is undoubtably true, but on the flip side if he's transferring to a Power Five school, he would also have an ACC level defense in front of him, which he doesn't have at St. Bonnies. I don't think that can be discounted.

I thought Adler would be better at Duke, but he's been pretty good for them - he was at 52% last year and is at 55% now. For whatever reason though Duke doesn't necessarily get great goaltending performances. The last couple years their goaltenders have save percentages around 50%. It might say more about Duke than Adler that his save percentage is where it is.

Syracuse is coming off two of its best defensive performances this year, averaging 9.5 goals a game. Yes some of this is due to the opponent and some timely face-off dominance, but I thought the unit was legitimately good last week against Stony Brook, they killed penalties, created turnovers and slid aggressively but smartly (for the most part). Gavin made a bunch of saves too and finished over 50%. Both goalies have been frustrating in their own rights, but hopefully this is the beginning of something.

The earlier performances I thought weren't totally on the goalies - they gave up a lot of penalties and a lot of goals were in fast break situations. Obviously they need to foul less and they need to get back on defense faster. If the both goalies finish the year below 50% then I wouldn't blame the coaches for going after an upgrade in the portal. Dobson would most likely be the top player on the board. Hopkins, Duke, Georgetown seem like the teams on Syracuse's level who would be out for a new goalie next year. Bottom line though, Syracuse just needs to get better across the board on defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom