Duke Game Thread... | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Game Thread...

Thanks OX and others who kept the game updates coming. I could not create a periscope account fast enough to watch and I appreciate the updates rolling in. I checked ESPN, they still have the game up through the rain delay and nothing after that. Of course, they are still showing the game to be finished tomorrow at 8:00 a.m.

If ESPN would give a little extra coverage to lacrosse, I believe fandom would catch fire and schools would add teams. Oy vey!

Thanks OX and others who kept the game updates coming. I could not create a periscope account fast enough to watch and I appreciate the updates rolling in. I checked ESPN, they still have the game up through the rain delay and nothing after that. Of course, they are still showing the game to be finished tomorrow at 8:00 a.m.

If ESPN would give a little extra coverage to lacrosse, I believe fandom would catch fire and schools would add teams. Oy vey!

Did you go through Carcatera's twitter? I didn't have to create an account or anything to watch.

Did you go through Carcatera's twitter? I didn't have to create an account or anything to watch.
You don't need a periscope account to watch through a twitter link.

Bummed no post game on WAER looking to hear about the W.
Jer, I taped the game and haven't watched yet (obviously much of the 4th not televised). But from the last few games, I'm wondering if you have a better feeling about our D!. Is it just Maloy? Maybe it's my imagination --- but the defense seems much more focused, with better communication and slides.

Jer, I taped the game and haven't watched yet (obviously much of the 4th not televised). But from the last few games, I'm wondering if you have a better feeling about our D!. Is it just Maloy? Maybe it's my imagination --- but the defense seems much more focused, with better communication and slides.

From what I can see (there are more qualified people then me who can speak on the issue) but it appears SU is sliding or hedging much more quickly on any dodges coming from up top against our SSDM's this has slowed those alley dodge goals to a trickle against SU. Also as you saw in today's game Molloy made probably 4-6 saves that Hill in honestly hasn't been able to make this year. I mean a couple of those were just ridiculous. The SU defense is still susceptible to quick ball movement/passing you saw Duke on a few times really moving the ball that resulted in great looks that Molloy either saved or Duke couldn't put it on cage. Another aspect that I think has gone overlooked is that the SU D isn't having that 10 minutes stretch where they couldn't stop at attack line of me, you, and Orange Extreme. Re-watch the JHU and Duke game prior to the 4 quarter the D held up fairly well and then totally collapsed for a variety of reasons. Mellens and Mullins are also both playing extremely well right now they are basically shutting down or severely limiting their matchup. Guterding did almost nothing today due to Mullins and Mellen had a good game as well. Firman and Fusco continuing their strong play is clearly also playing a large role, they both drew Jones today and did a great job.

To recap it appears SU has done a much better job timing slides and getting better SSDM play since Molloy was inserted. Schwasnick has really stood out and I think Gillis and Ciferri have played much better down the stretch. Even Mcdermott who had a real rough stretch for a few weeks seems to have settled in. Still with all that Molloy has been the key difference, as I noted earlier made at least 3-5 saves that SU hasn't gotten from a goalie since Galloway

From what I can see (there are more qualified people then me who can speak on the issue) but it appears SU is sliding or hedging much more quickly on any dodges coming from up top against our SSDM's this has slowed those alley dodge goals to a trickle against SU. Also as you saw in today's game Molloy made probably 4-6 saves that Hill in honestly hasn't been able to make this year. I mean a couple of those were just ridiculous. The SU defense is still susceptible to quick ball movement/passing you saw Duke on a few times really moving the ball that resulted in great looks that Molloy either saved or Duke couldn't put it on cage. Another aspect that I think has gone overlooked is that the SU D isn't having that 10 minutes stretch where they couldn't stop at attack line of me, you, and Orange Extreme. Re-watch the JHU and Duke game prior to the 4 quarter the D held up fairly well and then totally collapsed for a variety of reasons. Mellens and Mullins are also both playing extremely well right now they are basically shutting down or severely limiting their matchup. Guterding did almost nothing today due to Mullins and Mellen had a good game as well. Firman and Fusco continuing their strong play is clearly also playing a large role, they both drew Jones today and did a great job.

To recap it appears SU has done a much better job timing slides and getting better SSDM play since Molloy was inserted. Schwasnick has really stood out and I think Gillis and Ciferri have played much better down the stretch. Even Mcdermott who had a real rough stretch for a few weeks seems to have settled in. Still with all that Molloy has been the key difference, as I noted earlier made at least 3-5 saves that SU hasn't gotten from a goalie since Galloway

Just to add on to what I said above, SU appears to also finally be following its own scouting reports. Class today was left open I think once the entire game, Grimm spent the entire game attached to his hip. He's not an initiator if he isn't getting the ball in a good position hes not much of a threat to dodge to score at least consistently. SU is making teams earn goals now even against Duke at least 3 of their goals were on fluke or freak plays and another was Rowe on a faceoff. I think the defense has also buckled down after bad offensive turnovers against UNC you saw two or three bad decisions that UNC could only turn into one goal. Right now the whole D seems more locked in then at anytime. With Mullins, Mellen, Firman/Fusco and Grimm you have some serious talent in front of a red hot goalie right now.

Another aspect that I think has gone overlooked is that the SU D isn't having that 10 minutes stretch where they couldn't stop at attack line of me, you, and Orange Extreme.
I noticed you left me out of this. Wise move. I would've lit it up. :D
Also as you saw in today's game Molloy made probably 4-6 saves that Hill in honestly hasn't been able to make this year. I mean a couple of those were just ridiculous.
Agreed. It's good to see an SU goalie standing on his head instead of seeing it done TO us. Not sure we've seen that since Galloway.

And on another note, something new (or at least to these untrained eyes, something unnoticed by me this year) was the extensive use of the skip pass on O. Really created a couple goals out there today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom