Duke One and Done's | Syracusefan.com

Duke One and Done's

We'd happily be like Duke and UK if we could. The stars could line up that we have a couple years like them with a team full of 1 and done burger boys.

High level recruits who disappoint at UK and Duke likely would have disappointed elsewhere. Someone usually takes a flyer on them no matter how mediocre they were in college since they are still young with 'upside' or 'potential.' Both have won a title with this model the only problem with the model is it prevents them from being a dynasty or just having an excellent multi year run with a recognizable team. I've been to games at both Cameron and Rupp in the last couple years their fans are pretty open about the current set up acknowledge that it stinks watching guys get pushed out before they get good but its the price you have to pay for the revolving door of talent.

Next years Duke team is so damn good on paper btw that Calipari for once knows he won't have close to the best freshman class and is taking a year off of his usual pushing kids out act. He probably hates it because the returning players are the least talented kids hes had in close to a decade.

I kind of like it it makes them fun to watch it would suck if those kids stuck around and UK and Duke were better versions of Villanova.

We have experience. We have experience. I don’t get to say that often. Feels good.

We'd happily be like Duke and UK if we could. The stars could line up that we have a couple years like them with a team full of 1 and done burger boys.

High level recruits who disappoint at UK and Duke likely would have disappointed elsewhere. Someone usually takes a flyer on them no matter how mediocre they were in college since they are still young with 'upside' or 'potential.' Both have won a title with this model the only problem with the model is it prevents them from being a dynasty or just having an excellent multi year run with a recognizable team. I've been to games at both Cameron and Rupp in the last couple years their fans are pretty open about the current set up acknowledge that it stinks watching guys get pushed out before they get good but its the price you have to pay for the revolving door of talent.

Next years Duke team is so damn good on paper btw that Calipari for once knows he won't have close to the best freshman class and is taking a year off of his usual pushing kids out act. He probably hates it because the returning players are the least talented kids hes had in close to a decade.

I kind of like it it makes them fun to watch it would suck if those kids stuck around and UK and Duke were better versions of Villanova.

There’s a million holes in this take I don’t know where to start.

You think Trae Young would have been a lottery pick had he gone to Duke last year?

You think Bolden sits the bench for 3 years at every other school besides Duke?

There’s a million holes in this take I don’t know where to start.

You think Trae Young would have been a lottery pick had he gone to Duke last year?

You think Bolden sits the bench for 3 years at every other school besides Duke?

Plenty of exceptions most of the high recruited 1 and done kids at UK and Duke get drafted. Young would have done well in Duvals role even though he couldn't have chucked a million shots.

The model helps their draft stock since they tend not to have good experienced seniors as teammates better than them. You have to suck to be a JR or SR at those schools for the most part.

Those programs will always get good players. I'm glad they mostly leave after 1 year so those teams are never that good and are always beatable. I don't really like UK or Duke. Don't mind watching them play though its not like I want to watch a neutral game between yukon and Tulane.

Whatever I hope they fix this nonsense the right way and treat basketball and football players like hockey and baseball players allowing them to get drafted but still play in college. Still haven't heard a convincing reason why hoops and football shouldn't be like hockey or basball.

Hockey has the best rules the kids don't even have to commit for 3 years like baseball and reenter the draft and if they stay all 4 years they become unrestricted free agents free to chose any team they want to sign with. No reason basketball shouldn't be the same.

If top players stayed at the same school for more than a year the top players the next year would go to another school because they wouldn’t want to sit the bench. Each school has the same number of scholarships.

Trevon Duval and the Other Side of Duke’s One-and-Done Era

Apparently this was buried in the thread that has K retiring even though he isn't. Good read.

giphy.gif

Players in high school always think they are the best there is. So for them to go to a UK or Duke it's with the attitude they'll be starters.
The last few years the NBA has gone this route as well. Very good players wanting to play with other very good players.

I seriously wonder if this type of stacking players is good for either college or NBA. It may be worse for NBA because it eliminates some teams from any chance of making the playoffs. For instance, how many casual fans even know Sacramento has a team?

Nice to hear Malik Monk reveal the underbelly of Coach Cal's system.

You would think kids would be smarter and catch on by now.

I have no sympathy for the players. They all know the score and IMHO they all have been compensated for their decision. You choose to swim in that pond be ready to be a shark or get eaten. It's a business and for most of the Pay Pal Cal kids it's one that works out with NBA money.

At least if they don't make in the pro's they got paid for their 1 year in college at those 2 sorry schools.

Excellent article & analysis.
Thanks for posting.

If I could claim credit...another posted started the thread then wacked it because he didn't want to dupe another thread.

"They are essentially being pushed out the door by a program that no longer needs them."

I hate this line. Why are they being pushed out? Because they won't be starters? Wait, so you can't beat out imcoming freshman and you think you're going to make an NBA team? Here's an idea, have fun playing basketball for a great coach, even if it means coming off of the bench, learn how to be a person that can support colleagues (teammates) while contributing toward a shared endeavor, and get a top education.

"They are essentially being pushed out the door by a program that no longer needs them."

I hate this line. Why are they being pushed out? Because they won't be starters? Wait, so you can't beat out imcoming freshman and you think you're going to make an NBA team? Here's an idea, have fun playing basketball for a great coach, even if it means coming off of the bench, learn how to be a person that can support colleagues (teammates) while contributing toward a shared endeavor, and get a top education.
Can you imagine how Jordan Tucker would have felt if he had stayed at Duke? Coach K and his Staff not only over-recruited his position by one recruit, no two recruits, no by 3, 3 recruits ranked 1,2 and 3 in that position and in the ESPN 2018 top 100. I am sure he would stay at Duke if he just gave Duke a little more loyalty.

My read was that their scholarships were being given to the new recruits. I could be wrong, but it did not look like they had the option to decide to stay at Duke as a scholarship athlete.

I think the point is they'd be pushed down the draft boards even further (if not removed completely) if they stuck around collecting dnp's as upperclassmen.

They are being pushed out.
Their scholarships are only year to year and to accommodate the new players coming in they have to leave or be walkons.
That is what happens to schools with 1 and dones. They have massive turnover on the roster and it’s not always the kids decision. Tucker probably would have stayed at Duke and gotten the degree if his scholarship wasn’t needed for a better player.

Good article except for one item:

"Kentucky and Duke are run more like NBA teams than NCAA programs. While most NCAA programs desperately need players like Duval and Trent, that scenario is reversed at the next level. NBA teams have more talent than they can use, and they don’t have much incentive to develop players, unless they are truly transcendent. They are perfectly happy to let players like Duval and Trent figure it out for themselves in college, the G League, or overseas. "

Highlighted part is just untrue.

Bad teams don't have nearly enough talent and good teams value developing rotational players so they have cap flexibility to sign super stars. Their staffing for developmental coaches isn't beholden to a cap so they can flex their spending power on these resources. I don't know how Tjarks could write that line. It's just not true at all.

Look at all the best teams and you'll see a serious investment in development, use of the G-League, getting them run when other players are hurt and working to make sure they get PT.

They are being pushed out.
Their scholarships are only year to year and to accommodate the new players coming in they have to leave or be walkons.
That is what happens to schools with 1 and dones. They have massive turnover on the roster and it’s not always the kids decision. Tucker probably would have stayed at Duke and gotten the degree if his scholarship wasn’t needed for a better player.
I get that that happens but the math doesn't add up for everyone here. They're bringing in 1 point guard and Allen is leaving. I don't see another PG on the roster with Duval leaving. K doesn't want a seasoned back up? I doubt that. Sounds more like a kid doesn't want to sit. That's understandable, I suppose, but different than being forced out.

The other new guys coming in are listed as forwards. If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to push out a forward or two to make room rather than another guard? They've got a million if them.

I get that that happens but the math doesn't add up for everyone here. They're bringing in 1 point guard and Allen is leaving. I don't see another PG on the roster with Duval leaving. K doesn't want a seasoned back up? I doubt that. Sounds more like a kid doesn't want to sit. That's understandable, I suppose, but different than being forced out.

The other new guys coming in are listed as forwards. If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to push out a forward or two to make room rather than another guard? They've got a million if them.

Tre Jones. Tyus Jones brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom