Duke Thoughts... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ok.

We're supposed to lose to dook.
And UNC. And UVA. It is frustrating no doubt. Let’s hope we can recruit better players. It’s doubtful we’ll out recruit those teams though. Welcome to the ACC.

We need to stop letting every loss turn into an embarrassment. It's killing our numbers and, like it or not, the numbers matter.
Duke played their best half of basketball in the 2nd half that they will literally play all year. That’s the absolute best they can possibly play. Total outlier. I hope it pisses off this SU team and they come back stronger. I saw a competitive SU squad that played poorly but has some bright spots, then Duke got extremely hot and it was all she wrote.

I’m not going to place any emphasis on the final score of this game. It’s what happens when a team plays lights out for a half vs a team that didn’t have their A game.

Can’t do much when they hit 7 threes in a row. Some good stuff first half from us.

We desperately need a big scalp win so a good record isn’t considered hollow. Hopefully UNC.
You can play defense. How many of those 3 point shots were contested? Zero!!!

Turnovers and lack of 3 point shooting. Bell leading a break is a turnover. 3 games in a row this has occurred. Teams have figured Judah out. He needs to adjust, but also our outside guys have to start hitting the 3. Bell has to hit the shots when he has them. Judahs space is being limited like in the UVA game. He needs help to open up space. Our defense after a missed shot is awful. Teams run on us crazy well. Troublesome if we can’t open up the floor with outside shooting.

I'll add that Copeland has been terrific over a four to five game stretch, and he just didn't have it tonight. If he'd had 12 points (just for example) things might have unfolded differently. But he didn't, and it didn't..
For sure. Definitely not putting it on him. But his style of play lends itself to moments of sloppiness. It’s what will happen. Saw it last year in limited time too. Perfect press player though, and overall much better than I would have predicted.

Bell and Taylor have to start hitting some threes if we hope to beat any good teams this year. MacLeod gave us what he could. If we don't use Hima in a game where that PF Mitchell was just dunking on us over and over, then I guess he's done.

I feel like we are a couple pieces short of being a pretty good team. We played aggressive defense and attacked them for about 25 minutes, but then the rain of threes broke our defense and in 5 minutes it was over.

Lots of guys showed moments, but just not enough offense. At least one of Taylor or Bell have to hit 2 or 3 threes if we want to have a more balanced offense and hope to win.

Can’t do much when they hit 7 threes in a row. Some good stuff first half from us.

We desperately need a big scalp win so a good record isn’t considered hollow. Hopefully UNC.
Ummm, they were pretty much all uncontested. Can’t give up open shots. Duke made us pay. Poor close outs and got lost on defense a couple times. Duke made halftime adjustments and started to get some threes in transition.

I'll add that Copeland has been terrific over a four to five game stretch, and he just didn't have it tonight. If he'd had 12 points (just for example) things might have unfolded differently. But he didn't, and it didn't..
red's gotta recognize

Q was a huge liability all game

too many incomplete players on the roster (still)

same issue with JB's squads

this is at least a 2 year project

We have more athleticism and depth than we’ve had in years. That’s the good part.

But they are in large part not polished or well-rounded basketball players, and often aren’t the ideal fit together on the floor.

I think that’s to be expected this early in Red’s tenure. He needs more time to build what he wants.

The common thing in all of our losses is if we face resistance on offense, we play one on one and force everything on offense. We have no one on this team that can create a jumper off the dribble. JJ occasionally does it. Our turnovers tonight were ridiculous. I would sit high school players with these turnovers. They have to play with some poise when things get tough. Our wings were atrocious with the ball tonight. Our guards are supposed to be our strength. They are only when things are going well. Give them some adversity and they fall apart. VALUE the damn ball.

Bell and Taylor have to start hitting some threes if we hope to beat any good teams this year. MacLeod gave us what he could. If we don't use Hima in a game where that PF Mitchell was just dunking on us over and over, then I guess he's done.

I feel like we are a couple pieces short of being a pretty good team. We played aggressive defense and attacked them for about 25 minutes, but then the rain of threes broke our defense and in 5 minutes it was over.

Lots of guys showed moments, but just not enough offense. At least one of Taylor or Bell have to hit 2 or 3 threes if we want to have a more balanced offense and hope to win.
Was all for not changing the lineup when it was working but I think one of them has to come off the bench and see if that can spark anything.

These blowouts are exactly why our analytics stink. We desperately are going to need to sweep either UNC or Clemson now IMO.
If we don't do that, we are going to need to go undefeated at home. That would probably be a first four-ish resume.

Duke played their best half of basketball in the 2nd half that they will literally play all year. That’s the absolute best they can possibly play. Total outlier. I hope it pisses off this SU team and they come back stronger. I saw a competitive SU squad that played poorly but has some bright spots, then Duke got extremely hot and it was all she wrote.

I’m not going to place any emphasis on the final score of this game. It’s what happens when a team plays lights out for a half vs a team that didn’t have their A game.
Anyone will play well when they have no defensive resistance.

the team is FRAZZZLED. every.single Quad 1 game

vs quads 2-4 they are smooth killers out there

anyone decent????

its headless chicken-time

i really dont understand it
Honestly, there’s a really easy explanation for it. Did you see the defense that Duke played against us? They had better players. They stopped us from attacking the rim and we can’t shoot. Game over. We look frazzled because they were shutting us down. It’s been like that for many years now. We need better, more well-rounded players.

Just a few thoughts...

1. Too many fools here making over-arching comments. We were squarely in this game 12 minutes out.

2. JT and Bell are off the bench players. As starters, we're handicapping ourselves. That MUST change.

3. Maliq is effffffff-n-ubelieavble. He is so steady, productive, and talented.

4. This game doesn't matter as long as we win the next one.

the team is FRAZZZLED. every.single Quad 1 game

vs quads 2-4 they are smooth killers out there

anyone decent????

its headless chicken-time

i really dont understand it
It's weird. Lots of emotional dudes that are way too excited or way too down on themselves.

At halftime I was very concerned. Duke was in foul trouble and had 1 player carrying the team and we were
still behind. It's hard to win when 3 players (Mintz, Starling, and Brown) show up and play anywhere close to their abilities. 3 starters without a basket. Looks like this team will have a chance of beating the ACC middle and bottom of the league teams and get blown out by the upper tier teams.

I feel like we are a couple pieces short of being a pretty good team.
if by pieces, you mean braincells...I would want to agree with you...but its more than a couple that are needed...

SU is playing checkers to Duke's Chess

tied with 15 minutes to go

if you told me it would be a blowout...I wouldnt beleive you

more I think about it, Bell might have an all timer Box +/- tonight. He was hideous on defense, had numerous turnovers leading to points. The one where we gave them the 3 point play was special

ive always been out on him, but man, if he isn’t hitting 3s, he simply can’t play. Like even 11 mins. Needs to be 0

Time for the Mcleod experiment to end. Start Brown and give Hima some run as the back up. Bell and Taylor look overwhelmed against peer comp or above. Bell especially seems lost. Neither can really create their own shot though Bell can get hot. This is where Westry's injury is a killer. Copeland is a roller coaster, some games against Pitt you play him 25+ mins, today would have been 5 if Bell or Brown could have done anything. Bottom line team needs more talent and roster has to turn over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom