Dumb Question Alert: Has our recent ranking resulted in surpise interest or visits? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dumb Question Alert: Has our recent ranking resulted in surpise interest or visits?

For the first time in a long time we have a fairly high number of young guys making significant contributions. Maybe that is causing some kids to hesitate. It's gonna be harder to sell the playing time pitch to these guys. Our stronger pitch is going to be the current trajectory of the program. That'll be easier to sell to the uncommitted 2020 guys, especially if we carry it over to next year. That will be key.

I am sure weather is a consideration. The thing is we shouldn't assume everyone hates our weather. Some people from the south want to get out of the heat and humidity and want to experience snow. Why don't we hear about Michigan losing recruits to weather?

Hey, weather's probably getting more temperate at least. One of the few upsides of global warming...and we won't have to worry about the water extending inland to Syracuse. Miami, OTOH, underwater. Only question is when. A couple more hurricanes, and ALL the Florida kids will head to cooler climes. Of course, by then, football will probably have ceased to exist, but we can dream, can't we?

Hey, weather's probably getting more temperate at least. One of the few upsides of global warming...and we won't have to worry about the water extending inland to Syracuse. Miami, OTOH, underwater. Only question is when. A couple more hurricanes, and ALL the Florida kids will head to cooler climes. Of course, by then, football will probably have ceased to exist, but we can dream, can't we?
I'd be concerned that warmer winters in the Syracuse area could mean more snow in the near term if Lake Ontario stays warmer later in the year before finally freezing over. But hey, I'm a plant guy and not a meteorologist!

Not sure where else to put this, so I'll stick it here. On the reddit cfb board there is an AMA with a Top 40 recruit. He won't say who he is or who he committed to (though it's a school West of the Mississippi), but someone asked him about his thoughts of other schools that recruited him. He mentioned Syracuse and here's what he said:

So, does look like some recruits do consider Syracuse's weather in their decision-making process. I do like though how the perception is changin.
How many FB games does SU play in the snow, rain, wind, etc.? In FB no more than 6. No other University can claim the same. Ever go to a game at Archbold? In the NE you sometimes have to play in snow. It was fun when I was 10 but if I was an elite FB player, I wouldn't want weather conditions to effect my abilities.

You want a tan...go to Florida.

How many FB games does SU play in the snow, rain, wind, etc.? In FB no more than 6. No other University can claim the same. Ever go to a game at Archbold? In the NE you sometimes have to play in snow. It was fun when I was 10 but if I was an elite FB player, I wouldn't want weather conditions to effect my abilities.

I didn't enjoy games at Archbold when the weather was bad at all. Fortunately, I lived on an upper floor of Lawrinson, so I could see about 2/3rds of the field pretty well while listening to the broadcast. And I was dry, drinking, and likely smoking reefer. Which was good, since the team was on the decline in the waning years of the Coach Ben Era.

I didn't enjoy games at Archbold when the weather was bad at all. Fortunately, I lived on an upper floor of Lawrinson, so I could see about 2/3rds of the field pretty well while listening to the broadcast. And I was dry, drinking, and likely smoking reefer. Which was good, since the team was on the decline in the waning years of the Coach Ben Era.
I saw the last game at Archbold and don’t miss it at all. Good for you. Refer that stuff was around then was it? Good for you

Right on. Past the age of 25, I want a climate controlled venue because I’m meteorologically challenged. And yes. Been to Archbold in November in the rain and even in the snow. It was kinda fun when I was 14, but it ain’t now. Some fans don’t know how much the Dome rules.
I look at some of those mega attended games at football factories and wonder about the logistics. Parking, cramming, lines in and out, 100,000 people in need of food, space, toilets etc. it’s a beast.
The Dome could use some tweaking, but it was built for a measly $26 mil in 1979 to replace decrepit Archbold. Without it we’d be sitting in some bleachers outdoors in frigid or occasionally scorching environments And perhaps HOF Coach JB is just known as Coach JB.
Ramble over. So happy for the football team breaking out this year. Unlike poor Petrino, Babers has the locker room.
Best of fortune tonight with the eyes of blue chippers watching. LGO!

I am sure weather is a consideration. The thing is we shouldn't assume everyone hates our weather. Some people from the south want to get out of the heat and humidity and want to experience snow. Why don't we hear about Michigan losing recruits to weather?

Or Ohio St. Columbus gets a bunch of snow and is plenty cold. They get a ton of FL and TX kids. You gotta get to Cincinnati to start to really notice a weather difference as that KY/OH border there is the gateway to the south, IMO.

Best call the administration made was keeping the stadium on campus and re doing the dome. It is when finished going to be one of the top 10 venues in all of college sports. Football and basketball. Unreal to have an enclosed brand new refurbished stadium 500 yards from the Quad.

High 40s has not occurred frequently and isn't happening this year. I certainly would not anticipate a class in the top 30 any time soon. I'll be beyond happy if we can grab 3 or 4 4* guys with big lists per class.
I guarantee you in 2020 our recruiting class is in the top 30 easily.

And the only reason this current class won't be ranked as high as others we have had is because we can't take a full class and that will have an effect on the rankings. Although if we land the 2 linebackers and DL that just visited, I retract my statement.

High 40s has not occurred frequently and isn't happening this year. I certainly would not anticipate a class in the top 30 any time soon. I'll be beyond happy if we can grab 3 or 4 4* guys with big lists per class.
We always pick up one or two 4 star players. All the way back to the Greg Robinson era (One easy example - Marcus Sales). How would our recruiting class not get better with almost 50% more wins? I also believe our class will be top 30-40 by National Signing Day.

Last edited:
I guarantee you in 2020 our recruiting class is in the top 30 easily.

And the only reason this current class won't be ranked as high as others we have had is because we can't take a full class and that will have an effect on the rankings. Although if we land the 2 linebackers and DL that just visited, I retract my statement.

Adding the word easily to your guarantee only tells me that you don't really know anything about recruiting. You may have some Syracuse football and recruiting knowledge but can't possibly understand where they fit nationally. Easily in the top 30 means you think that they will be closer to 20 than 30 and that just isn't realistic in any way whatsoever. Please provide me with any evidence that supports your guarantee, seeing as pretty much the same traditional powers and 2nd tier schools all clog up the top 20 spots and then there's the 3rd tier southern schools like Miss St and South Carolina that we still have no shot of beating because of their fertile recruiting area. Our goal should be to compete with our peer programs. We need to try to beat out the NC St, UNC, VA, Duke, BC, Minn, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers types and guess where they all usually are found? In that 30-50 range. Sure 1 of them might pop up to possibly 25 if they had a great year AND its a good recruiting year in state, but it is not normal. If everything goes absolutely perfect for us then we have a shot at the low 30s I'd say. So if you think that we are easily going to be in the top 30 next year then prepare to be disappointed.

In regards to this year, even if we add the 2 LBs which adding both is a fairly unlikely scenario, both Arizona St and Wake Forest each have 2 4* recruits and 15/14 3* respectively and are currently ranked 48th and 50th in current class rankings. If you really think that someone getting those 2 or even 3 guys is going to push us up into the top 30 then you are a lost cause. If we add both Jones and Kpogba plus Nunn and then maybe another 6 avg 3 stars then I'd guess that we end up somewhere in the low 50s at best.

We always pick up one or two 4 star players. All the way back to the Greg Robinson era (One easy example - Marcus Sales). How would our recruiting class not get better with almost 50% more wins? I also believe our class will be top 30-40 by National Signing Day.

That's a loose use of the word always. We have 2 in the last 5 classes if you include this year so far. And the only 1 in the 2 classes prior to that was KJ Williams if you want to count him. So 3 in 7 years does not really translate to 1 or 2 per year. That's why to think that we are likely going to be getting more than 3 or 4 per class going forward isn't really all that realistic unless it's a really good year in NY and we are able to keep the cream of the crop home which we usually aren't able to.

Not trying to be some kind of party pooper. Just have followed recruiting since it became a thing on the internet and have realistic expectations.

Adding the word easily to your guarantee only tells me that you don't really know anything about recruiting. You may have some Syracuse football and recruiting knowledge but can't possibly understand where they fit nationally. Easily in the top 30 means you think that they will be closer to 20 than 30 and that just isn't realistic in any way whatsoever. Please provide me with any evidence that supports your guarantee, seeing as pretty much the same traditional powers and 2nd tier schools all clog up the top 20 spots and then there's the 3rd tier southern schools like Miss St and South Carolina that we still have no shot of beating because of their fertile recruiting area. Our goal should be to compete with our peer programs. We need to try to beat out the NC St, UNC, VA, Duke, BC, Minn, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers types and guess where they all usually are found? In that 30-50 range. Sure 1 of them might pop up to possibly 25 if they had a great year AND its a good recruiting year in state, but it is not normal. If everything goes absolutely perfect for us then we have a shot at the low 30s I'd say. So if you think that we are easily going to be in the top 30 next year then prepare to be disappointed.

In regards to this year, even if we add the 2 LBs which adding both is a fairly unlikely scenario, both Arizona St and Wake Forest each have 2 4* recruits and 15/14 3* respectively and are currently ranked 48th and 50th in current class rankings. If you really think that someone getting those 2 or even 3 guys is going to push us up into the top 30 then you are a lost cause. If we add both Jones and Kpogba plus Nunn and then maybe another 6 avg 3 stars then I'd guess that we end up somewhere in the low 50s at best.

All correct and why people should get away from recruit rankings. They don’t mean jack.

I'd be concerned that warmer winters in the Syracuse area could mean more snow in the near term if Lake Ontario stays warmer later in the year before finally freezing over. But hey, I'm a plant guy and not a meteorologist!
Freezing over is a Lake Erie thing. Lake Ontario is too deep and holds too much heat to freeze over. I guess that explains why Oswego is the Miami of New York state. :)

Freezing over is a Lake Erie thing. Lake Ontario is too deep and holds too much heat to freeze over. I guess that explains why Oswego is the Miami of New York state. :)
Exactly. A few years ago Lake Ontario was the only one to not freeze over.

How in the hell can I provide you evidence of something that hasn't happened yet?

You clearly don't know what a prediction is.

However, you can use the past as a way to have an educated guess on the future. I feel that with how our recruiting classes have been trending upwards over the past 3 years since Dino arrived. Combined with our play, recent top 25 rankings, bowl game exposure as well as the Dome renovation coming up shortly, I think a top 30 class will be happening for the 2020 recruiting cycle.

On top of the fact that Dino believes that the success this year will translate to the 2020 recruiting class.

You should Google "Prediction" in case you aren't familiar with the term.

How in the hell can I provide you evidence of something that hasn't happened yet?

You clearly don't know what a prediction is.

However, you can use the past as a way to have an educated guess on the future. I feel that with how our recruiting classes have been trending upwards over the past 3 years since Dino arrived. Combined with our play, recent top 25 rankings, bowl game exposure as well as the Dome renovation coming up shortly, I think a top 30 class will be happening for the 2020 recruiting cycle.

On top of the fact that Dino believes that the success this year will translate to the 2020 recruiting class.

You should Google "Prediction" in case you aren't familiar with the term.
We're not going to land a top 30 class. We don't have enough subscribers on those sites.

We're not going to land a top 30 class. We don't have enough subscribers on those sites.
Agree to disagree, and I don't normally do that with you of all people on here.

Agree to disagree, and I don't normally do that with you of all people on here.
Agree to disagree all you want. The talent level in a class might be top 30 worthy but as long as they have no subscribers we'll never be recognized for that.