Dungey... Dead arm or.... | Syracusefan.com

Dungey... Dead arm or....

florange44

Scout Team
I agree with others that Dungeys throws seem to lack zip at times. I don't know if he has a dead arm. But I can see that on those same throws he does not set his feet or step into the throw. I suspect this is the bigger reason his throws lack zip.

Florange44

I agree with others that Dungeys throws seem to lack zip at times. I don't know if he has a dead arm. But I can see that on those same throws he does not set his feet or step into the throw. I suspect this is the bigger reason his throws lack zip.

Florange44

Very good point. Have thought of this also. These qbs slung it all summer. Reps, reps, reps, thats what the offense is premised on. I wonder, bc his arm is alot stronger than we have seen the past few games.

I don't think his arm is dead. I think he's just trying to figure out the right touch on all the different throws that are required. He sort of ends up in no man's land sometimes during a throw, which was some of the overthrows. He'll get better with that. He just looks like he's aiming too much, thinking too much.

He's still completing most of them.

He probably needs a few light practices. Muscles need recovery time and his aren't accustomed to the volume yet.

I never thought he had a strong arm. Mahoney throws it harder. Dungey throws a very catchable ball. It's important that one of our guys be the one to catch it but fortunately Dungey is an accurate thrower.

I never thought he had a strong arm. Mahoney throws it harder. Dungey throws a very catchable ball. It's important that one of our guys be the one to catch it but fortunately Dungey is an accurate thrower.

DE has more than enough arm strength for the league. If Montana, Pennington, and Tarkenton can make impacts in the league, so can ED.

DE has more than enough arm strength for the league. If Montana, Pennington, and Tarkenton can make impacts in the league, so can ED.

I wasn't estimating whether he was an NFL prospect. I just don't think arm strength is his forte. Touch and accuracy are. Thus I don't see a drop in something he didn't have as a strength to begin with. I agree there are many successful pro QBs who were not famous for their arm strength, (jncluding Peyton Manning)

I agree that Dungey's arm is average at best but it's definitely stronger than Mahoney. That was altogether clear from last year.

You think his arm is as strong as theirs? I don't see it.

He doesn't have a howitzer but it's not a dead arm. He's throwing to spots rather than at players and when you do that...the tendency is to float it.

Nah, he's not getting his lower half involved on some of those throws. Tends to happen when the pocket is collapsing. Can't blame him- can't be fun getting rolled up on by a charging lineman.

You think his arm is as strong as theirs? I don't see it.

Seriously? Montana and Pennington had way below average arms. Montana made his mark with hof talent all around him and throwing the ball on time. Probably the weakest armed hof qb of all time. He was surrounded with hof talent , on defense too. Have argued for years that young was a,better talent;)

Seriously? Montana and Pennington had way below average arms. Montana made his mark with hof talent all around him and throwing the ball on time. Probably the weakest armed hof qb of all time. He was surrounded with hof talent , on defense too. Have argued for years that young was a,better talent;)
I think you're comparing Montana to other NFL arms, and yes, his was comparably weak. I don't think Dungey's is as strong as Montana's or anyone else you listed.

To fair to Montana, he still looked decent as an old man in KC with less talent around him.

It's interesting how the general tone is significantly less excited about Dungey now than at any other point since he first played last year. And he's completing 65%, has thrown for close to 1,000 yards in 3 games, and has 7 TDs to 3 INT's.

Lots of room for growth and he's struggled at times...?but for a true soph. who has not even played a full seasons worth of games in his career, in a new and very demanding system on a QB, he's doing a lot of good things. For all the talk about his dead/weak arm...if he maintains the statistical pace he's done so far he'd throw for close to 4000 yards and 30 TDs this year.

i grew up playing baseball. i never had a problem until i was a senior in high school. i was 17, and had one of the better arms on a bad team, so i was put in positions that varied between games including third base, left field and shortstop. i threw my arm out, to this day my shoulder isn't right.

my point is, that reps for dungey, as long as they are reps, are good. if he is overthrowing than that is bad. if his arm is "tired" and that's it, the staff should be able to manage it. if they are pressing him to make throws he cant make and hurting his arm, than that is bad. but there is no way to know which one it is without ED being honest about it. i would have never told my coaches that my arm hurt. my guess is that it is fatigue from reps but as far as i am concerned the only way to get through that is more reps.

New offense, a little fatigue/winded and working on his arm strength through many reps so there will be times we see the flat/floating ball every so often. I want to see him find the open guys as well but that too is on his learning curve. Personally...I want him running less but that also depends on the flow the other aspects of the offense including the o-line and their current injury bug.

imo some of his floaters are on purpose. he's playing back yard football where he just lofts it up, trying to put touch on the ball and expecting the receiver to go make a play. when he floated the interception down the middle, to my eyes he thought it would be an easy toss over the defense and he misjudged it. he's playing soft toss out there. he'll learn and adjust.

I also think he's fatigued and has a tired arm. It's the same story for the OLine. Another year of all the reps and it'll become second nature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom