Dungy arm injury | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dungy arm injury

i dont see much difference in how he throws now vs 2 yrs ago. he has always been off on some of those late decision throws and much better in rhythm throws, he has nice arm strength not elite.

reality is he really tries to make a lot of late decisions and the by product of that is not always having great mechanics. its just like a baseball infielder.. sometimes trying to throw it quick instead of getting your feet where they belong ends up making the throw weaker.

Dungey will be an SU legend, even with the poor record during his era. Warrior, fearless, great college football player, great athlete.

I don't know if he is injured or not. His throwing motion and accuracy looked like typical Dungey in the Uconn game.

To me, Dungey's arm strength and accuracy have never been much more than adequate. I think that his issues become more apparent when throwing against teams with great speed in the secondary and, unfortunately when throwing outside in the weather.

Babers has said countless times...Eric is what he is. We all know he'd run through a wall to win a game for this team and has his positives and negatives like every QB ever has. I've seen him stay in the pocket or behind the LOS better than I have in the past to keep plays alive but then I've also seen him make plays/throws like when he first started. I have no idea if he is hurt but as I've said before the more pounding you take the more your mechanics break down and as for ED he doesn't always have the best mechanics to begin with so parts of the body will not follow his muscle memory of training but what he has always done. Here's hoping he is ok and can execute the plays needed from here on.

As someone previously stated I remember last year Dungey throwing off back ft on interceptions last year. I think on long throws it hurts him but he does look hurt to me. Arm speed is much slower than previous games. Can’t be that Clemson is that fast or we woulda been killed this week.

I am glad we are only talking about his arm, and amazed that no one almost passed out when he got blind-sided on the whiffed past protection in the 4th quarter I believe.

I am glad we are only talking about his arm, and amazed that no one almost passed out when he got blind-sided on the whiffed past protection in the 4th quarter I believe.

And he didn't fumble after getting decleated... Kid is amazingly tough.

Kid is tough. Good leader and competes like heck. That said I think our O improves a lot next year with Devito.

Hurt or not hurt I don’t know... but this passing offense that ignores the whole middle of the field is not what I was expecting. Also given the pressure we were seeing from Clemson I’m surprised we didn’t see more screen passes to slow down the rush. The other solution would have been some slants or seam passes up the middle but again we ignore the middle of the field.

In baseball you can't tell a pitcher's control simply by looking at their strike percentage. A pitcher can throw strikes but have terrible command, in that they miss their target and throw a meatball right down the middle.

Similarly, you can't just look at a QB's completion percentage and determine how accurate they are. For one, not all throws are the same - deep throws will necessarily be a lower percentage than dump offs or WR bubble screens.

More importantly, a throw can be completed but not accurate. If a WR is wide open but has to jump up and fully extend to snare a pass, giving the DB time to recover and make an immediate tackle, those are missed yards. If a WR has a step on a DB going across the middle, the difference between catching it in stride and having to turn or bend for the ball makes all the difference.

Dungey is well below average in accuracy when you look at these kinds of passes. He almost never hits a receiver in stride, or puts a receiver in optimal position to run after the catch. The difference in the WR bubble play from in the FSU game from the 1st half with Dungey to the 2nd half with Devito was stark. Devito was hitting guys right on the numbers with velocity, allowing them to make a move before the defenders were close. Watch a Syracuse game and take note of the completed passes where receivers have to jump up or stretch or stop their momentum to gather the ball. It isn't every time (this is P5 level football afterall), and Dungey does put some balls right on the money, but he is incredibly inconsistent and below average at it.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, but we have yet to see Dino's offense. He and Dungey are an odd marriage, and he would never handpick a QB with the skill set of Dungey to lead his offense. But Dungey was, by far, the best option here and Dino has, to his credit, altered his way of doing things to maximize the hand he was dealt.

I think we'll see a lot of differences in the playcalling and other nuances of the offense next year, as Dino will have a throwing QB with experience in the system for the first time in his tenure at Syracuse. Dungey, through his particular gifts and talents, has raised the floor of what the Syracuse offense can do, but his limitations has also limited the ceiling. Clemson knew Dungey couldn't beat them throwing and didn't let him run, and the Syracuse offense ground to a halt. Next year, they won't be able to do that. Devito won't move piles on the goal line, which we will miss, but he'll be able to attack the field downfield and is still nimble enough to make defenses pay if they drop back into coverage too much.

I'm enjoying the heck out of this season, but I think next season has Top 15 ranking potential. They will be monsters on offense with all the young and maturing talent they'll have.
Great post. If you watch the game again, there was a long pass to Custis down the right side of the field that was completed. It was a nice adjustment to come back, and make the catch, but Custis had his man beat badly. If Dungey had zipped it a bit more, and not lofted it, that ball hit Custis in stride for 6, and probably the win. I love Dungey, and the dynamic his legs bring to the game, and the fact that he's probably a headache to prepare for. But, those that think he has an NFL type arm? I don't see it. From what we've already seen of Devito, he has a much better delivery, and zips the ball on the intermediate routes, and can hit guys in stride on the deep ball. He has that touch that Eric lacks. That being said, Dungey is still the best option right now because of his command of the offense.

Great post. If you watch the game again, there was a long pass to Custis down the right side of the field that was completed. It was a nice adjustment to come back, and make the catch, but Custis had his man beat badly. If Dungey had zipped it a bit more, and not lofted it, that ball hit Custis in stride for 6, and probably the win. I love Dungey, and the dynamic his legs bring to the game, and the fact that he's probably a headache to prepare for. But, those that think he has an NFL type arm? I don't see it. From what we've already seen of Devito, he has a much better delivery, and zips the ball on the intermediate routes, and can hit guys in stride on the deep ball. He has that touch that Eric lacks. That being said, Dungey is still the best option right now because of his command of the offense.

I actually think Dungey is better on the deep ball than Devito.

It's the opposite on the short stuff.

I thought he threw the ball where he threw it to Custis to keep the ball away from the safety.

TBH his passing looked a lot better with more seasoned WR's in Amba, Ish, and Erv which is probably to be expected. Our passing game is more green with the younger WR's.

Dungey does seem to wear down as the game goes on... It's been a pattern since his freshman year... he expends so much energy... I remember the ball slipping out of his hands or short arming throws late in games throughout his career..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom