Durant Free Agency | Syracusefan.com

Durant Free Agency

MikeSU02

Living Legend
All the Durant buzz now says he wants no part of going home, but be careful what you believe. Most of that chatter comes from people three, four and five steps removed from Durant's tight-lipped inner circle at Roc Nation -- gossipy types who dial up the NBA's telephone game. The Lakers are in it, then out of it, then in it again -- and don't forget about the Warriors! I will say this: The Spurs buzz is ascendant in a way that is eerily similar to what happened last Januaryat the D-League Showcase, when a half-dozen unconnected team executives warned me over the span of a few days that LaMarcus Aldridge would bolt from Portland for San Antonio. Who knows. At the very least, the Wizards will get a chance to make their pitch.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15353834/the-wizards-go-back-drawing-board-scott-brooks

My bet is Durant signs a 1 year max contract with OKC and then really opens up to free agency next year when the cap is supposedly going to sky rocket. This gives him the added benefit of one last run with Westbrook as I think next year is Westbrook's last on his contract also.

Nah, Conley will occupy the Spurs free agent $$$.

My bet is Durant signs a 1 year max contract with OKC and then really opens up to free agency next year when the cap is supposedly going to sky rocket. This gives him the added benefit of one last run with Westbrook as I think next year is Westbrook's last on his contract also.

I think this is the best bet, but nothing would surprise me. KD may like Texas and at this point in his career, with a $300MM Nike deal, he may be ok not waiting until 2017 to sign a long term deal.

But, like I said, I think your scenario is the most likely.

This is my bet as well, though ultimately, I think he stays in OKC.

I think this is the best bet, but nothing would surprise me. KD may like Texas and at this point in his career, with a $300MM Nike deal, he may be ok not waiting until 2017 to sign a long term deal.

But, like I said, I think your scenario is the most likely.

What would have to happen to Durant between now and the summer of 2017 for some team not to offer him a max deal?

What would have to happen to Durant between now and the summer of 2017 for some team not to offer him a max deal?

What do you mean?

My point was that the increase may be moot between 16 and 17 to KD because of existing endorsements, no state taxes for around 55% of the games if he's with SAS, and the likelihood of additional money coming in from winning a title, more endorsements, etc.

What do you mean?

My point was that the increase may be moot between 16 and 17 to KD because of existing endorsements, no state taxes for around 55% of the games if he's with SAS, and the likelihood of additional money coming in from winning a title, more endorsements, etc.

I just meant that there's really no downside to him waiting to sign the max deal; I think it's pretty much going to be there no matter what.

It's a fair point on the state taxes thing though. I think if he leaves OKC this summer it might be for the Warriors. But like everyone, I think the best bet is a deal this summer with OKC that gives him an opt out for next summer.

I just meant that there's really no downside to him waiting to sign the max deal; I think it's pretty much going to be there no matter what.

It's a fair point on the state taxes thing though. I think if he leaves OKC this summer it might be for the Warriors. But like everyone, I think the best bet is a deal this summer with OKC that gives him an opt out for next summer.

Got it. Yeah, I agree. The only thing I can think of is earlier long term security if he's worried about his foot, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Got it. Yeah, I agree. The only thing I can think of is earlier long term security if he's worried about his foot, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

That was kind of my point, I feel like he could miss next year with a foot injury and still have multiple teams offering him the max next summer.

I'm kind of giddy to see some of the contracts doled out the next two years

That was kind of my point, I feel like he could miss next year with a foot injury and still have multiple teams offering him the max next summer.

I'm kind of giddy to see some of the contracts doled out the next two years
Not only the contracts, but the trade market potentially opens up a ton. Lot less friction to wheel and deal given the cap space.

Not only the contracts, but the trade market potentially opens up a ton. Lot less friction to wheel and deal given the cap space.

Good point, plus contracts are shorter in general so there are very few, if any, truly untradeable contracts.

God I love NBA free agency.

Why would he do that when he can get a multi year deal with opt out clauses. No way he signs a one year deal.

Why would he do that when he can get a multi year deal with opt out clauses. No way he signs a one year deal.

I was thinking more 2 year with a player opt out; that's what Lebron has been signing

Good point, plus contracts are shorter in general so there are very few, if any, truly untradeable contracts.

God I love NBA free agency.

you must be a masochist. Big name NBA free agents in recent years have avoided the Knicks

you must be a masochist. Big name NBA free agents in recent years have avoided the Knicks

Aaron Afflalo doesn't do it for you???

I just love all the rumors

80% OKC Thunder
15% Golden State Warriors
1% each for Washington Wizards, Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, New York Knicks.

Celtics and Lakers have room for 2 MAX deals. Do the Knicks?

80% OKC Thunder
1% each for Washington Wizards, Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, New York Knicks.

I think the Knicks CAN have 2 max deals if guys like Afflalo and Derrick Williams opt out and they move one other player or something like that.

I think the Knicks CAN have 2 max deals if guys like Afflalo and Derrick Williams opt out and they move one other player or something like that.

In actual committed salary, they have like $55 million. (Melo, Lopez, Porzingis, Wroten, Calderon, O'Quinn, Grant). They could always stretch Calderon and open up a few million. You would assume Afflalo and Williams opt out. Galloway they have a QO for.

Max salary for guys with 7-9 years starts around $27 million. So t he Knicks would need to open up something like $10 million from where they're currently at.

80% OKC Thunder

There is no way he isn't taking a meeting with SAS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom