DuVal's 22, Moten's 21 Will Take Residence In Dome Display | Syracusefan.com

DuVal's 22, Moten's 21 Will Take Residence In Dome Display

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
DuVal's 22, Moten's 21 Will Take Residence In Dome Display

The jerseys for former basketball standouts Dennis DuVal and Lawrence Moten will join the most significant numbers in Syracuse hoop history when they are officially retired in ceremonies during the current season. DuVal's recognition is scheduled for halftime of the January 6 game with Notre Dame, while Moten will be honored on March 3 when the Orange host Clemson.

They will join a group of 10 other Syracuse players who have had their jerseys retired: Carmelo Anthony, Dave Bing, Derrick Coleman, Sherman Douglas, Billy Gabor, Vic Hanson, Rony Seikaly, Wilmeth Sidat-Singh and Dwayne "Pearl" Washington.

"Dennis and Lawrence are two legendary players in the rich history of Syracuse Basketball," Wildhack said. "Dennis was an All- American player who led Syracuse basketball to two NCAA tournaments and graduated as our second all-time leading scorer.

"Lawrence was a four-year starter, who remains our all -time leading scorer, and the BIG EAST's all-time leading scorer. Both are loyal to their alma mater and deserve to take their place among the greats who have worn a Syracuse Basketball uniform."

Both players were 1,000-point scorers at Syracuse and each was included in the program's All-Century Team in 2000.

"Dennis was an All-American. He could do it all," said Coach Jim Boeheim, who was an assistant coach at Syracuse when DuVal played. "He could defend, he could pass the ball, he was a really good shooter and scorer. He was one of the greatest, most talented players we have had at Syracuse."

"I am elated about this honor," DuVal said. "I have a strong affection for and connection to Syracuse University. Now I will physically be forever connected. The University has played a major part in my success and helped me to get to where I am today. I always tell people that. I will never forget that.

"I was the first underclassman to be drafted out of Syracuse (he was selected in the ABA Draft by Denver after his junior season), but I came back to school for my senior year because I did not want to disappoint the University and the basketball program.

"The biggest things about Syracuse basketball for me always were about the guys who came before me and that it is a family. No matter when you played basketball at Syracuse, you are always part of the family. Coach Boeheim was my position coach for four years. He always talked with me about Dave (Bing). Dave is my direct connection to Syracuse. Dave is why I came to Syracuse. He is why I wore #22. To see my jersey hanging in the Carrier Dome with Dave's and the others will be a great feeling."

DuVal started all 81 games he played in at Syracuse, a streak covering the 1971-72, 1972-73 and 1973-74 seasons. Freshmen were not eligible at the time. He averaged 18.6 points per game and accumulated 1,504 points during his career. Despite logging only three seasons with the Orange, DuVal still ranks 21st in career scoring at the school. He reached 1,000 points in 58 games, a standard surpassed by only five others.

DuVal was a 1973 Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American. The following year, his senior season, he earned third-team All-American recognition from the Associated Press and Basketball Weekly. DuVal earned 1974 Sporting News First Team All-American honors and All-American laurels from Street & Smiths, Universal Sportsand Citizen Savings Foundation.

The Orange earned an NIT invitation in 1972 and NCAA Tournament berths in 1973 and 1974. Syracuse was 65-18 in his three seasons with the varsity.

He was selected in the second round and 30th overall by the Washington Bullets in the 1974 NBA Draft. DuVal spent one season with the Bullets and later had a stint with the Atlanta Hawks.

DuVal returned Syracuse and became a police officer. He was named deputy police chief in 1990 and in 2001 was appointed Syracuse Police Chief. He retired from the force in 2004. DuVal is currently president and chief operating officer for Terradiol.

"The all-time leading scorer in the BIG EAST Conference says an awful lot about how good a player is," Boeheim. "From day one, Lawrence Moten was an automatic scorer. Nobody ever stopped him. He understood how to play the game and how to score points. He was also a very good defender and a terrific all-around player. He's one of the BIG EAST's greatest players."

"It is truly an honor to be one of the players in Syracuse's great history to have my jersey hang in the Carrier Dome forever," Moten said. "I had great teammates who helped me be the best I could be.

"We played a very competitive schedule every year so we had to bring our 'A' game every night. I still remember walking into the locker room for the ACC/BIG EAST Challenge game against Florida State and seeing my name on the board as a starter. I left the locker room, found a pay phone and called my mom to tell her I made the starting five for the first time. After she screamed in my ear, she said, 'Baby, don't lose that spot!' To now have my jersey retired is truly a blessing."

Moten remains the most prolific scorer in Syracuse basketball history. He tallied 2,334 points in 121 games with the Orange, competing for four years between 1991-92 and 1994-95. Moten topped the team in scoring three times.

He was an Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American in 1993 and 1994. Moten earned third-team All-American recognition from the Associated Press and NABC, as well as second team Sporting News honors, in 1995.

Moten also set the BIG EAST Conference career scoring standard, which he still owns. He was the 1992 BIG EAST Rookie of the Year and a third-team All-BIG EAST selection. He received first team All-BIG EAST honors for the next three seasons.

The Orange made three trips to the NCAA Tournament and posted 20-win seasons four times during Moten's tenure. Syracuse also won the 1992 BIG EAST Tournament with Moten.

The Vancouver Grizzlies selected Moten in the second round, and 36th overall, in the 1995 NBA Draft. He spent two seasons with the Grizzlies and spent time with the Washington Wizards. Moten went on to compete in the CBA and ABA, and overseas in Spain and Venezuela.

He was named head coach of the Rochester Razorsharks of the PBL in 2014. Moten was an assistant coach at Gallaudet University during the 2015-16 campaign.

I literally just saw this article about this on Cuse.com and it's dated 11/30/17 and I was thinking how I missed reading about it. Maybe I am not as nuts as I thought.

SU never uploaded the article. This is the 1st time I've seen it also.