Early departures | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Early departures

Never a big fan of Ennis. To me he represents the beginning of the "walk the ball up court " offense that has been the bane of the team since then. When I saw the team move the ball up court and work the ball quickly at the beginning of year (preseason) I was encouraged. Hasn't worked out so well but they still get up court faster than previous years.
Huh, I didn't know he was the architect of the offense that Syracuse has employed for years.

Ennis was on the edge of being a McD AA, a top-30 kid and everyone thought of him as the most polished PG in the recruiting class. Why wasn't the possibility of him leaving early considered by the staff? Considering that it apparently wrecked the program for nearly 7 years, seems like it was a pretty big oversight.

Never a big fan of Ennis. To me he represents the beginning of the "walk the ball up court " offense that has been the bane of the team since then. When I saw the team move the ball up court and work the ball quickly at the beginning of year (preseason) I was encouraged. Hasn't worked out so well but they still get up court faster than previous years.
[/QUO You must have watched another Guy named Ennis.. It sure wasn't the Point Guard of SU

It would have been fun to watch the 89-90 team with an experienced point guard like Earl Duncan. We were loaded but Stevie wasn't suited to be a PG and Edwards wasn't ready or good enough.
Does a never made it count as an early departure? I wonder what life would have been like if Winfred Walton had been able to play.

Actually, we would have been fine with an inexperienced point guard that season -- provided it was Kenny Anderson. Unfortunately, something "drove" his interest away from SU and toward GA Tech. That season, Edwards was 5th in the BE in assists but sub-par for a team with title aspirations.

Good point on Duncan. He lost a year to Prop 48, then was behind Sherman Douglas for '87-'88 and would've been the following year, if he stayed. He chose a transfer to Rutgers and got to start 2 years there, instead of staying at SU and starting one. He would've helped greatly in '89 as a third guard in what was almost a very special season.

Without his troubles, Walton probably goes one-and-done at SU, as he actually did at Fresno State. He might have boosted the '96-'97 team into the NCAAs, instead of the NIT, but not much more than that.

I am glad you've finally accepted responsibility for that season. Been a long time coming.

Yeah, no social media back then, but it was all because I was badmouthing Roe in a student lounge at Flint Hall. Some guy who had just dropped off his girlfriend went in to check the score, heard me, then drove back to to his place in Skytop, where he just happened to run into Roe at the Inn Complete and told him what I said. Incensed, Matt decided to transfer to a gentler atmosphere at Maryland. Glad to get it off my chest...

Seriously though, it's probably been mentioned on this board before and I missed it, but why really did a local guy like Roe leave here, especially from a powerhouse team where he was getting playing time?

Who's early departure hurt cuse the most?

The what if he had stayed speculation?

While the immediate tendency would be to think which elite players left early, such as the Pearl or Owens. I have to say while I love the Pearl, his early departure allowed the General to emerge and they went to the final, and so I doubt staying longer would have improved things. I also didn't think we would have benefited significantly if Owens stayed one more year.

My vote goes to Wesley Johnson staying one more year. That team with Wesley as a senior, you tell me.

My next vote goes to Fab Melo as a junior. We went to the final 4! With Coleman injured and hurting at the center position, had Fab stayed one more year (and academically eligible lol) how far would that team had gone?

Ennis because ever since our fans have expected anyone decent to leave early even when their games aren’t suited for the NBA.

Another year of Wes would have been great. Jerami Grant staying would have been huge and maybe better than Ennis since we were still good and not a bubble team. 2 years with the probation though. But of course he kinda precedes the behavior from our fans which started with Ennis and has even found its way to Carey and Guerrier idk why. If MCW stays Ennis can’t 1 and done and start the trend.

Yeah, no social media back then, but it was all because I was badmouthing Roe in a student lounge at Flint Hall. Some guy who had just dropped off his girlfriend went in to check the score, heard me, then drove back to to his place in Skytop, where he just happened to run into Roe at the Inn Complete and told him what I said. Incensed, Matt decided to transfer to a gentler atmosphere at Maryland. Glad to get it off my chest...

Seriously though, it's probably been mentioned on this board before and I missed it, but why really did a local guy like Roe leave here, especially from a powerhouse team where he was getting playing time?

Hmmm.....ancient history

Back to the Melo talk if he stayed I think we repeat and a couple of my 2007 classmates redshirt. Louie and T Rob probably play but Mook and D Nic sit. An extra year of those two in 2008 would have been great. Obviously the scum school that won it wouldn’t have but they were a power those few years after we won and basically a Duke/UK and it would have been nice to have Melo for those head to heads. He would have entered the NBA 1 overall in all the following drafts as well.