Early List Of HC Candidates | Syracusefan.com

Early List Of HC Candidates

DaaBoTownSox

Walk On

Doug Marrone went 25-25 in four seasons with the Syracuse Orange, including a pair of Pinstripe Bowl wins, reviving a school that had gone 10-37 in four years under Greg Robinson. Now he's moving on to take the head coaching job with the NFL's Buffalo Bills. Where will Syracuse turn for their next leader?
Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated put out a "way-too early list" of candidates that includes Bowling Green head coach Dave Clawson, Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco, and Syracuse defensive coordinator Scott Shafer.
Chris Iseman of the Daily Orange (Syracuse's student newspaper) suggests Orange offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, former Florida International coach Mario Cristobal, and ex-Ohio State coach Jim Tressel, who was an assistant at Syracuse in the early 1980s.
Brent Sobleski of Rumor Central adds two more names: North Dakota State head coach Craig Bohl and Montreal Alouettes (CFL) coach Marc Trestman.

Source: ESPN Insider

I will take shafer over any other dc out there because he knows the program, give me a hot shot oc or a hc with as much experience as possible.. Diaco or any other dc does not excite me.

1. Tressel
2. Golden
3. Hackett
4. Shafer
5. Cristobal

Diaco is interesting not merely because the DC of undefeated ND, which wins because of its D, is interesting. But also because he is a native of NJ with 3 years ACC experience at UVA. He also is part of Hayden Fry tree, and that coaching tree has produced a number of 1st rate coaches.

Diaco is interesting not merely because the DC of undefeated ND, which wins because of its D, is interesting. But also because he is a native of NJ with 3 years ACC experience at UVA. He also is part of Hayden Fry tree, and that coaching tree has produced a number of 1st rate coaches.

Also an ace recruiter.

No more defensive co- ordinators from outside the program, especially ones from Big- Time programs. The type of players that the programs like Texas, Notre Dame and the like get we never will. Its much easier to game plan when the players are bigger, stronger, and faster.

No more defensive co- ordinators from outside the program, especially ones from Big- Time programs. The type of players that the programs like Texas, Notre Dame and the like get we never will. Its much easier to game plan when the players are bigger, stronger, and faster.

It reminds of getting a 4 star player, sometimes it's better to do your homework and evaluate the coaches instead of watching a coach with the best available players win games instead of hype. Personally, I want a guy that has a system that he knows back and forth and can teach it to his players...a guy that has been outmatched talent wise but his guys executed and played well enough to win or did win over a way more talented team.

There was a study that was done ... can't remember who did it ... but they were looking at recent coaching hires and how OCs made much better head coaches than DCs and they talked about roster and program management and such ... to make a potentially long story short ... if a coordinator was hired I would prefer it be an offensive minded one ... like Marrone was.

Trestman would be a little risky. The list of places he hasn't coached is shorter than the list of places he has. That can't be a serious rumor from rumor cenbral.

There was a study that was done ... can't remember who did it ... but they were looking at recent coaching hires and how OCs made much better head coaches than DCs and they talked about roster and program management and such ... to make a potentially long story short ... if a coordinator was hired I would prefer it be an offensive minded one ... like Marrone was.

I tend to like offensive linemen or career football geeks for the HC jobs.

i liked Rivals list...
Schafer
Anselmo
Hackett
Diaco
Tressel
Gruden

also Cristobal, Golden

only problem is i think we only have the chance of 3 who would actually take the job.

here is the list from TOS:

hackett
shafer
diaco
cristobal
clawson
patricia
chad morris
doc holliday
pat narduzzi

and the crazy :floyd little

What about Bobby Wilder? If he was already discussed and I missed it then forgive me. But anyone who coaches an upstart to only 8 losses in 3 years should be given some consideration. A quick look at his resume shows some NE background as he was an assistant up at Maine for a number of years. This is assuming of course we don't hire from within which right now is my primary choice. What are everyone's thoughts?

Just wondering if I'm the 5th rocket scientist today or if people really have no opinion on this guy. Even the Tom Bradley thread had a few no's in it.

What about Bobby Wilder? If he was already discussed and I missed it then forgive me. But anyone who coaches an upstart to only 8 losses in 3 years should be given some consideration. A quick look at his resume shows some NE background as he was an assistant up at Maine for a number of years. This is assuming of course we don't hire from within which right now is my primary choice. What are everyone's thoughts?

he was discussed but not a ton of support since he hasnt coached above the fcs level and if were goinbg that low we might as well hire from within

Wilder is better than 98% of the suggestions made on this board.

From Maine, went to college there, was briefly at BC as a GA, then coached QBs for Maine for 10 years, then was their OC for 7 years, before taking the HC job at Old Dominion, where he is 38-10. With the exception of his brief time at BC, he has no experience at the BCS level but I would assume he has HS recruiting contacts in New England and Virginia. Unfortunately, little or no experience in our core recruiting areas (or what should be our core areas) of NY, PA, NJ and Florida.

I think he is a legitimate but not ideal candidate that would be somewhere around 5th on my list. Perhaps a bit lower.

Bio Link

Wilder is better than 98% of the suggestions made on this board.

From Maine, went to college there, was briefly at BC as a GA, then coached QBs for Maine for 10 years, then was their OC for 7 years, before taking the HC job at Old Dominion, where he is 38-10. With the exception of his brief time at BC, he has no experience at the BCS level but I would assume he has HS recruiting contacts in New England and Virginia. Unfortunately, little or no experience in our core recruiting areas (or what should be our core areas) of NY, PA, NJ and Florida.

I think he is a legitimate but not ideal candidate that would be somewhere around 5th on my list. Perhaps a bit lower.

Bio Link

What would be your top-5 if I might ask?

I have a lot of faith in TGD and his whomever has his ear, I never had Marrone in my top 3 or 5 in 08.