Early List Of HC Candidates | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Early List Of HC Candidates

My personal top 5 (at least right now), in order

Diaco
Shafer
Cristobal
Hackett
Priore

There are a few names out there I think I could see adding here...and there are names of people that I am not including that are ridiculous.

Diaco would be a home run after the year ND is having, and has become my clear cut top choice.

Would be hard pressed to get him though.

And Cristobal and Shafer could flip flop if it seems that more and more recruits/players are bailing regardless of whether we stay in house...And yes...I am probably the only person here mentioning Priore, but I just like the guy, regardless of the jump.

My personal top 5 (at least right now), in order

Diaco
Shafer
Cristobal
Hackett
Priore

There are a few names out there I think I could see adding here...and there are names of people that I am not including that are ridiculous. And Cristobal and Shafer could flip flop if it seems that more and more recruits/players are bailing regardless of whether we stay in house...And yes...I am probably the only person here mentioning Priore, but I just like the guy, regardless of the jump.
Would love to hear your Priore reasoning besides just "I like the guy".

Priore knows the northeast. The guy IS New York, and could continue beating the "NY College Team" drum for us. Clearly, has hasnt been going after the 4 star guys but he certainly knows the recruiting beat. He has coached here his entire career. He is a winner. He has won at every level he has coached at. I've seen the teams he has assembled, and given what he has had to work with, even they were competitive with D-1. He gameplanned REALLY well against Syracuse.

But he's also a guy who, if he does well, is here for the long haul.

He's my 5th choice, ok? Not 1.

Oh, and one more thing. If the BOT isnt going to $pend, we can afford him.

I'm on board with Wilder, and I'm also on board with keeping Shafer or Hackett (preferably both).

That said...if Notre Dame wins tonight, wouldn't we be INSANE not to put the full court press on Diaco?

how/why hasnt butch davis been mentioned at all?

I'm on board with Wilder, and I'm also on board with keeping Shafer or Hackett (preferably both).

That said...if Notre Dame wins tonight, wouldn't we be INSANE not to put the full court press on Diaco?

For me they do not even have to win to put that press on. He is an outstanding outstanding recruiter and he is in-charge of the number 1 scoring defense in the FBS.

I agree, but can you imagine a better recruiting tool in the final few weeks before the signing period than to bring on the DC of the national champions?

Add Cristobal as well. What do people see in this guy, yes he had 2 winning seasons at FIU but then tanked this past year. No thanks.

My new list:

Hackett
Shafer
Golden
Priore
Diaco
Stoudtland

christbol is a good recruiter thats his biggest plus

Priore knows the northeast. The guy IS New York, and could continue beating the "NY College Team" drum for us. Clearly, has hasnt been going after the 4 star guys but he certainly knows the recruiting beat. He has coached here his entire career. He is a winner. He has won at every level he has coached at. I've seen the teams he has assembled, and given what he has had to work with, even they were competitive with D-1. He gameplanned REALLY well against Syracuse.

But he's also a guy who, if he does well, is here for the long haul.

He's my 5th choice, ok? Not 1.

Oh, and one more thing. If the BOT isnt going to $pend, we can afford him.
1. He has never coached Division 1 football. Not even at a non-BCS school, not even as an assistant at a non-BCS school.
2. He has no background recruiting players that can play at a D1 level.
3. He's not a pick that any of our recruits/players would know or respect because of his lack of name recognition. Would lead to transfers/decommits.
4. Trick plays do not work every game against legitimate competition.
5. "Won at every level he coached at". He coached at Trinity College and Stony Brook. Come on.
6. He game planned well against Syracuse... And we beat them 42-7 and 28-17 (where we were stuffed twice on the goal line and our O-line was horrible)
7. The BOT was spending over 1.5 million on Marrone. We can afford most of the names out there.

Methinks you vastly overestimate our brand and capabilities at this time.

And I think you're underestimating it. This isn't 2007. Mario Cristobal would crawl to Onondaga County from South Florida if we wanted to go that route. And he's certainly a better candidate then Wilder. Cristobal is just one example -- many, many others out there.

How exactly is Cristobal a better candidate than Wilder?

How exactly is Cristobal a better candidate than Wilder?

Great recruiter, contacts in Jersey and Florida. Turned around a moribund program. Charismatic. Only negative is he punched out a guy at a bar and he was unfairly fired by a moron AD.

He's not even my first choice, just an example of a middling candidate who would be better than Wilder. And I would certainly remain status quo before getting to the Wilder level.