Eastern Football | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Eastern Football

WVA is not eastern football. At all.

First I think you meant northeastern and I will admit that they are a tweener, but what makes them a tweener is their historical record of playing northeastern opponents:

Pitt - 103
Syracuse - 60
Penn State - 59
Maryland - 52
(VT - 52 - only southern team that they have played more than 25 times)

Rutgers - 39
Temple - 36
BC - 33

UVa - 23
ECU - 22
Miami - 20
Cincy - 20
Kentucky - 20

Cheers,
Neil

I don't consider WFVU to be northeast.

But also note that Rutgers and UCONN are ambitiously awful. Maryland has a shaky future. Pitt is Pitt.

There's been a recalibration.

I dislike Rutgers, PSU, and Uconn far more than WVU. i kinda like the mad scientist Holgerson and their QB. i route for them.

Right, that's what I thought. Would love them in the ACC instead of UL

I wish the ACC had just expanded with SU, Pitt, WVU, and UL back in 2011 and when Maryland left they chose either UConn or Cincy as their replacement. But it wasn't meant to be.

Now I'd like to see WVU added in the middle of the next decade, a change in the conference football championship game rule to allow no divisions and the ACC go with a 2-6-6 scheduling model. That way the ACC can still keep dreaming about ND joining full as #16 which TerryD has convinced me is just "fool's gold" anyway.

Cheers,
Neil

I dislike Rutgers, PSU, and Uconn far more than WVU. i kinda like the mad scientist Holgerson and their QB. i route for them.

I’m in kind of a weird place with WVU. I quietly root for them - and have a lot of gratitude over their 2005 season and Sugar Bowl win, which helped keep the Big East viable just long enough for us to find a landing spot. But I also dislike their fans enough that taunting them with things like “Marvin Graves says hi” is not above me.

(I also have a cousin that was on the WVU dance team, and sometime around 2005 I spent most of the Big East tournament free time hanging out with her and her dance team friends in the city. That’s one of the most enjoyable, memorable weeks in my life. So Let’s Goooooo, Mountaineers...ya toothless bas****s!”

I included West efffing Virginia because they're an old Eastern Indy and they're an hour from Pittsburgh and recruit Western PA hard. If Maryland counts (they were in a southern conference for decades) than surely WVU does as well, IMO.

UMD and Pitt are solid and on track for bowl seasons.

I think Rutgers and UConn sucking has more to do with the decisions made at Rutgers and UConn than anything else
Re: Penn State, they're actually located in the middle of Pennsyltucky.

I’m in kind of a weird place with WVU. I quietly root for them - and have a lot of gratitude over their 2005 season and Sugar Bowl win, which helped keep the Big East viable just long enough for us to find a landing spot. But I also dislike their fans enough that taunting them with things like “Marvin Graves says hi” is not above me.

(I also have a cousin that was on the WVU dance team, and sometime around 2005 I spent most of the Big East tournament free time hanging out with her and her dance team friends in the city. That’s one of the most enjoyable, memorable weeks in my life. So Let’s Goooooo, Mountaineers...ya toothless bas****s!”

When you mentioned cousin and WVU, I thought the story would be much funnier than that!

I wish we had a conference that represented the Northeast, the most populous area of the country.

Syracuse, Boston College, Army, Navy, Connecticut, Rutgers, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Temple, West Virginia, Maryland. Throw in Notre Dame and we've got plenty of good football and plenty of good basketball and lacrosse, as well. Yet it would not be a gauntlet of top 25 teams, either. A schedule should be a balanced mix of good, mediocre and bad teams so your record truly reflects the quality of your team.
Notre Dame?

Notre Dame?

You need 12 and the Irish have a huge following in the east. (I'm also fantasizing that they come down off their high horse.) It's better than Louisville.

I included West efffing Virginia because they're an old Eastern Indy and they're an hour from Pittsburgh and recruit Western PA hard. If Maryland counts (they were in a southern conference for decades) than surely WVU does as well, IMO.

UMD and Pitt are solid and on track for bowl seasons.

I think Rutgers and UConn sucking has more to do with the decisions made at Rutgers and UConn than anything else
Pitt is qualified with 6 wins.

UMD is 5-5, with OSU and PSU looming. Bowl is a longshot.

Is the Lambert trophy still a thing?

Well, it's questionable if it ever was truly "a thing" ;), but yes they still give it out annually. Last two years it has been won by PSU.

Cheers,
Neil

Well, it's questionable if it ever was truly "a thing" ;), but yes they still give it out annually. Last two years it has been won by PSU.

Cheers,
Neil
And WVU is still eligible to win the Lambert Trophy.